Maintainance Oil Change

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

od_40

Reaction score
Hey,

I purchased a 2nd hand D40 STX not to long ago with 100000km on the clock. It has service up to date, however I'm not too sure about gearbox/diff/transfer case oil has been changed.

So before I go on long distance trip. I would like to change all the diffs/gearbox/transfer case oil along with brake fluids, fitting diff breathers, snorkel etc.

I'm new to the 4x4 scene so I was wondering what type oil and how much does the car need. I don't have a problem spending on good quality full synthetic stuff so if there's any recomendation that would be great.

Thanks

You'll find the oil ratings for all parts listed in the owners manual. Someone's with the book handy can probably tell you but since it's already been 18 hours and no response I'd say go straight for the book and get the right answer straight way.

Let me see what the manual says ... if there are notes, it'll be indicated by a *n where the n is a number. I am using the manual's references, so they don't start with 1. Got this from page 13 of 50 in MA.PDF.

Gearbox: 4.18 litres of API GL-4, Viscosity SAE 75W-85

Transfer Case: 2.0 litres of Genuine NISSAN ATF Matic Fluid D or equivalent*4

Front Diff: 0.85 litres of Standard differential gear: Gear Oil Hypoid LSD (Part No.: KLD31-8090403) or API GL-5, Viscosity SAE 80W-90*1

Rear Diff: 2.01 litres of Limited-slip differential (LSD) gear: for rear differential gear only
Gear Oil Hypoid LSD (Part No. KLD31-8090403) or equivalent
Power steering (no quantity listed): Genuine NISSAN PSF or equivalent*6
Brake and clutch fluid: DOT 3 (US FMVSS No. 116)

Notes:
*1: For further details, see “SAE Viscosity Number”.
*2: Never use API CG-4.
*3: Use NISSAN Genuine Engine Coolant or equivalent in its quality, in order to avoid possible aluminum corrosion within the engine
cooling system caused by the use of non-genuine engine coolant.
Note that any repairs for the incidents within the engine cooling system while using non-genuine engine coolant may not be
covered by the warranty even if such incidents occurred during the warranty period.
*4: Contact a Nissan dealership for more information regarding suitable fluids, including recommended brand(s) of DEXRONTM III/
MERCONTM Automatic Transmission Fluid.
*5: Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN ATF Matic Fluid J will cause deterioration in driveability
and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the warranty.
*6: DEXRONTM III type ATF can be used.

It is not a bad thing to have the manual. Shame that Nissan won't let us have it and we have to get it through "other means".

Thanks heaps for the info..

It seems like its ok to use lsd gear oil for the standard front diff.

Are these part number all Aus? Ill go pick up front/rear diff oil and transfer case oil from nissan tomorrow.

You can also go to the Shell, Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil etc, websites which have a lube guide you can use.

:cheers!:

Woohoo another petrol engine . We are the minority . I use full synthetic oil in the engine as I do punish it a little ( he says knowing full well its always driven hard).
Only thing is to be perfectly honest I cant remember what oil I used last time.

Latest posts

Back