V6 Petrol in Limp Mode after Clutch change - Help!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timjw83

Reaction score
OK - so did a wk end up in the VIC High Country a few weeks back, and the slight feel of the clutch going turned into complete failure after the 3 days driving - luckily got onto Tarmac just in time to organise a tow!

The thing is - I had to rev the ol' girl pretty hard to get any friction on the plates, so this may have something to do with it.

I've been told by the mechanic who fitted the new clutch and flywheel (single mass, HD unit from Australian Industries)- and I'm leaning on believing him - that the engine dash light was on when he started working on it. I don't remember seeing it before it it stuffed itself, but I was more concerned about othere things at the time.

SO, the common fault of the sensor associated with the clutch seems like its not the problem - as the light was on before being pulled apart - and the mechanic said he he cleaned it before the reinstall.

I've already tried removing the negative battery terminal - but after a quick drive the light comes back on.....and the power stays "limp"

Has anyone had any experience of this happening with a V6? Really keen to avoid a visit to Nissan!

Thanks all

The guys in the states were having the same problem.It turned out to be metal filings and crap on the crank angle sensor which apparently is in the back of the motor. Havent experienced it myself but I remember reading about just this problem on Club Frontier
Your looking for something like this but I cant find its exact location
23731-D40006_2.jpg

I think this is it

d40_221-1.gif

Its part number 23731T

Another possibility - happened recently to Bosshog on his way up this way - is the MAF sensor may have failed. Happens out of the blue, it's unrelated to other damage, the bloody thing just fails, and if it does, do NOT drive the vehicle. By driving the vehicle you risk destroying sensors (at least) in the exhaust or perhaps causing more damage.

A MAF sensor failure in the diesel causes the DPF light to come on - and stay on - and once the ECU determines that the MAF sensor has failed completely, it won't allow you to reset out of limp mode at all.

I'd check that sensor and hope you've got warranty. My Nissan dealer reckons the sensor is about $400, and it's something I think we need to talk to Nizzbits about, because it's also something I want a bloody spare of - there's no way in hell I'm heading to outback Australia again without a spare of, because once it lets go, you have to pull over and wait for a replacement.

Unless there's a workaround I'm unaware of at the moment. I'll be investigating that as well!

Thanks Aussie/Tony.
I've hunted down both of those sensors on the net- looking at around $90 delived for the MAF sensor (from ebay US) and around $160 delivered for the crankshaft sensor (from Coutesy parts US).

Waiting for the local dealer to get back to me on his prices - bet they'll be much higher!

Any ideas if they are both pretty easy to access and replace?

Cheers, Tim

Just an update on this-incase anyone else has the same problem.
I ordered the crankshaft position sensor from Courtesy parts in the US for about $100 delivered-dealer wanted around $180. Took about 10 days to arrive.

Read a few posts on the Frontier forum of where to find the sensor location-turns out it's pretty easy to get to once you remove the drivers side inner wheel guard. It's located on the block, to the left of the strut setup. You first need to pull back the rubber hood, then unclip the wire connector. You'll need a 10mm socket to remove the bolt holding the sensor in place, then just a reverse to finish the job.

The limp light will still be on-so you'll need to do the reset after replacing the sensor.

Part no: 23731-EA20C

Latest posts

Back