Rear or Front diff lock?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beno82

Reaction score
Hey guys,

this may be a dumb question to some, but you don't learn unless you ask anyway.

If you could only afford to get one locker, is it best to get a rear one, or a front one? (given that the rear is already limited slip, which must help a bit)

thanks

beno

Front is the go just dont drive stupid when its locked. Slow and steady will get u there and back.4wd systems is doing front mechanical locker for $550 posted to my address. my guess is it will be the same for most others.

i would go the front. if money is a bit tight go a 4wd system "lokka" for $550. i have seen one installed in a hilux and man what a huge difference it made. not quite as good as an air locker but still heaps better then the standard diff.

when 4wd systems make their lokka for the d40 later this year i will be getting one for sure.

Last edited:
Navara (and most 4wds) will benifit most from a front locker. This will maintain your on road driveability and greatly improve your ofroad ability.

I have a video here from when i welded my front diff. Take note how easy most things are compared to my d22 mate with an open front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic4qZKaGG4I

I have since broken the diff, and looking into getting a r200 front diff as the more comon r180 front diffs are quite weak (ive broken two in ~6 months).

The r200's are found in the V6 d22's and from what ive heard are much stronger. I was unaware a locker was made for the r180, i thought all lockers were only for the r200... but thats something you may wish to check on to......

If you get a front locker installed and keep your lsd in good nick you should be able to go anywhere. If you want to upgrade the rear just get the rear lsd clutch packs replaced with oversize ones, so you can maintain on road driveability but will improve the lsd's ability to divert power to both wheels.

christian

Latest posts

Back