Wheel offset- please explain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justdrinkbeer

Reaction score
Can somebody please explain what offset is for me please, where it is measured from and how the wrong offset will affect the car.

EG the 17inch rims on my 550 are stamped with offset 30mm, whats that mean?

offset.gif

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types (measured in millimeters).*
Zero Offset

The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.
Positive

The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.
Negative

The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside.

Thanks mate, thats pretty much how I had it figured, the bit at the end is what I was after so I can go looking for new wheels

There's still not much of a range for the D40's, especially in the more desirable 8" width.

Mamba in the US, use to make these to suit a Frontier/Dodge Durango. Not sure if they're still available but I reckon there the best looking wheel out there.

Mamba_M1_6L_MB.jpg

On the King Cab I ran around everywhere on muddies, but hit the dirt prob every 6weeks, with the 550 I want a set of muddies I can chuck on for weekends etc.
The pro comp website has some steel wheels in 17x8 & 17x9, just gotta work out the offset thingo as straight up I recon they'll stick out too far.
Also depends how much lift my mate twists my arm into putting on, as to the size tyres i'll end up with.
Those are some very nice wheels, anyone have any experience freighting them in?

just a lil something i have heard. the Rangerover rims from there ne models lets say 2006 onwards have the same stud pattern and correct offset if ur wanting 20" rims :D. but thats just what i have heard. true or not i dont know

Been looking Rangie rims since I read that, all 5 stud as far as I can tell, might be same PCD though as it looks small.

Been looking Rangie rims since I read that, all 5 stud as far as I can tell, might be same PCD though as it looks small.

Yeh mate same pcd and I'm pretty sure the offset is right so the rim is flush with the flares. Don't take my word on that I could be wrong. I've seen a nav d40 with rangie rims on before.

Hey just a quick question, i need help trying to work out a wheel offset, im looking at buyin a set of 16x7 sunraysias that were on a 03 courier. The bloke selling them doesn know the offset but measured the backspace and it came to 108mm.

My question is what offset does this make it, because i was lead to believe that i u half the wheel width (7"=177.8mm, half is 88.9) to get the centre line then you subtract the centreline measurement from the backspace is this true? If so it gives 19.1 (so like a +19mm offset) is this the correct way of working it out?

Any help would be much appreciated

Latest posts

Back