Please help- bad fuel.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzydog

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP Our navara with only 9thou klm has stopped.
Filled up with diesel on thursday 16th from the shell at Yallah done 150kms by Sunday 19th it had stopped.
Car was towed to Nissan in Warrawong thinking it was a warranty thing. Nissan Accused us of putting petrol instead of diesel in at first but we had the receipt showing we put diesel in.
They then told use the fuel was dirty and showed me a sample witch was full of crap and dirt.
They then sent the fuel pump to Sydney for inspection and are not taking responsibility for the repairs.
Shell has been notified and is investigating.
Has anyone had any problems with their navara and what was the outcome?
All replies will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

I have read about a similar circumstance on the Patrol forum, contact your insurance company, as it should be covered.

I'll see if I can find out more info for you.

Welcome to the forum - although I wish the circumstances were better!

Shell - because you have a receipt for the fuel - would be responsible for that batch, but to make absolutely certain you catch them at it, try and go back there with a clean container and fill it.

It's possible that their pump dragged up sediment from the bottom of the tank, it does happen (and that's why I prefer to use large truck stops with high turnover, rather than little outlets).

Nissan will say it's not their fault. Shell will say it's not their fault. What you need is to prove whose fault it is - getting another fuel sample from the servo would be a good start.

If the fuel was dirty, you'd expect that the filter would catch most of it.

I'm just trying to find the Shell at Yallah on Google maps, it says the nearest is at Dapto? That is not a large servo and it looks like it's been there a while, so the tanks might not be the newest. Being a bit off the highway it won't see a large amount of turnover either.

Thanks for the replies.
The shell is only a new place 1-2 yrs old its just past Dapto and on the highway.

I too picked up a belly full of crappy diesel from a shell roadhouse on the northside of Kempsey. Thankfully the water detector lit up very quickly and I didn't cause any damage to my donk. I got a piggy back ride from the NRMA as I knew it was a dirty fuel problem and Nissan wouldn't cover it (frankly nor should they be expected to). I drained the tank (lost about 150 ltrs of diesel)....flushed through and refilled. I also fitted water watch after this to make double certain I could pick up on water problems early.

this isnt going to get you on the road again any sooner but may help with the cost side of things.
SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!!!!!! NRMA DO COVER FUEL CONTAMINATION!!!!!!!

i have just spoken with NRMA, and was told on the first phone call that no i was not covered for mechanical failures.
after reading the post on the patrol forum that leprechaun had added a link for, i noticed that on page 3, one of there members had to ring his insurance company twice before he got a correct answer.
so i rang back NRMA and asked if i was covered for "FUEL CONTAMINATION" and asked the lady to check with her supervisor. she came back a short time latter and YES!!!! i am covered for any damage caused by fuel contamination. she told me that it is found under the accident section of my policy. she then made a direct note on my policy explaining this so any future NRMA consultant can see, who she asked to give this conformation and what section of my policy states this.
so if you dont get a pleasing answer try again. im not sure if it was simply changing the wording that led the second consultant in the right direction or that she was just better at her job either way its good to now know that insurance will actually cover this. :rock:

Last edited:
Great news.

I had an issue with petrol and shell were pretty good, they will sample and do tests but if you have a mechanics report saying it was the fuel I was told back then by consumer affairs they have to pay for all repairs.

Sorry for late reply but busy weekend

I have been told by RACQ that fuel contamination is not covered on comprehensive car insurance, only accident damage.

Don't trust Nissan. They blame poor fuel because it is hard to trace. I would get an independent assessment of the problem before letting Nissan do anything with the repairs. You watch Nissan come out with the excuses on why an independent assessment can't be done.

I know the repairs to a faulty fuel pump can be upwards of $10K+

As far as i'm concerned the filtering system on a $55K car should be good enough to stop contaminants. If it doesn't, then it's a design problem and any repairs should be covered under warranty. I'm sure a Government tribunal or Magistrate would agree. The only issue with that is that because the repairs are in excess of $10K Nissan are able to be represented by their high priced lawyers which puts all us consumers on the back foot. And they know it.

Good luck with it all and hopefully someone, Nissan, Shell or your insurance co, will come to the party.

I have been told by RACQ that fuel contamination is not covered on comprehensive car insurance, only accident damage.

thats what NRMA said to me the first time i called, but when i called back for the second try and asked to check with a supervisor, they told me it was covered under the accidents section of my policy. this phone call and who confirmed this info was noted to my policy.

i wonder if you ring again if you will also get a different answer.

Good News

Ok We have finally had some good news.
The GIO assessor has had a look at our car today and agreed to fix it.
Now Nissan can start to get the parts and get it back on the road.
The final out come was a new fuel pump, fuel rail and injectors for a grand total of $7,800 .
Thank you to all those people who gave us advice on this forum.
Hopefully it will only be good things to report in the future.

Latest posts

Back