Shackles -v- Blocks -v- Additional leaf..

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgie

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just seeking your opinions as to the best way to get some additional lift in the rear from these three options.

Leave the legalities and the cost out of it for the purpose of the excercise. (Although I have included pricing below FYI) What works best and why is what I am seeking.

I do not want to make the ride any stiffer than it is - so maintaining current ride comfort, flex and load carrying capacity is important.

I am about to have ECA's fitted and will have the rear done at the same time.

My rear set up is EFS HD springs, greaseable shackles and OME Nitrocharger shocks.

Extended shackles - $205 pair + fitting (probably fit myself)
http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=31_51_345&products_id=3589

Rear lift blocks - $140 pair + fitting.
CalOffroad Nissan Navara D22 - 2 inch Rear Block kit
Features:
* Rear Block 2 in.
* Center Pinned 3 Deg.
* Ductile Iron

Additional leaf and reset - $350 pair fitted.
Morwell Springs - who installed my current EFS springs.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

The way its been explained to me is as follows.
Blocks give lift and doesnt change ride however will make it easier for spring wrap
Shackles give lift but can weaken the springs as they tend to flatten out
Adding a leaf will generally make the ride stiffer

now there will be those who say am way wrong but as I said that is basically how it was described to me
My own personal choice is a multi leaf pack from the US.In us they dont seem to like the idea of multiple softer leaves to give the lift without making it harsh.

imho its better to work the springs to suit. however i would suspect its going to be more than just add a leaf as the HD springs will be fairly hard. probably best to replace a leaf or rework them.
also some of the add a leaf kits add a secondary spring not a main spring.

if you fit extended shackles its best to make the springs to suit.

The bigger the block the greater the leverage. 1" will limit the wrap. Mind you spring wrap is more of a concern when you have plenty of HP and torque. I'm not a fan of the shackle extension option, they tend to chew out the bushes a lot quicker, Spring lift is the best, but damn hard and expensive to get that comfort vs height compromise right.

Jack your tray up 1" and see if your happy with the increase.

id got extended shackles. lift blocks increase leverage and dont help at all with flex. the right extended shackles can assist with flex. Adding a leaf will increase ride stiffness.

Leaving cost and legalities out of the equation, get a set of springs made up by a leaf spring workshop. 2" lift, and same spring rate as stock or softer if you want. Higher doesn't have to be harder (shape vs spring rate). Or you can go with the 8-12 leaf packs that are very progressive, depends what you actually carry in the tray, how often you carry it, what you'll be carrying when you need flex, what you'll be carrying when you want comfort, etc etc etc.

Leaf springs can be extremely versatile if done right.

Okay! Thanks for all the opinions to date. Keep them coming.

Ray at Morwell Springs does some great work. I see everything from trucks, ambulances, low riding doof doof cars to some awesome 4WD's in his workshop. I'll talk with him some more on Monday.

Ridgie
can you ask him what sort of costs would be involved for a set of springs for a D40. Something mulit leaf but fairly soft .PRG sells a 10 leaf pack which does give 3 inches of lift but its meant to be fairly soft .

you dont need that bar between the 2 plates if the right material is used. thus will assist with flex as it lets the shackle move somewhat with the arc of the leaf.

Shackles -v- Blocks -v- Additional leaf

1stly Forget blocks - create too many problems

2nd how much lift are you after?

Shackles are a possibility. If you are happy with your ride/load carring then a set of extended shackles could suit. Since you already have greasable ones, if you can get the pins preessed out just replace the steel plate with longer items. Just have to make sure the shackle angle is still ok. You can slightly adjust the ride harshness wioth the shackle angle (with reason)

leaf-spring-shackle-angle.jpg

Or have your springs reset.

I'd prob go for extended shackles option.

You will also need some longer rear shocks to make the most of the extra lift.

1stly Forget blocks - create too many problems

2nd how much lift are you after?

Shackles are a possibility. If you are happy with your ride/load carring then a set of extended shackles could suit. Since you already have greasable ones, if you can get the pins preessed out just replace the steel plate with longer items. Just have to make sure the shackle angle is still ok. You can slightly adjust the ride harshness wioth the shackle angle (with reason)

leaf-spring-shackle-angle.jpg

Or have your springs reset.

I'd prob go for extended shackles option.

You will also need some longer rear shocks to make the most of the extra lift.

Thanks tommy.

1.5 - 2 inches.

Shock situation has been discussed with Ray ayt Morwell Springs.

you dont need that bar between the 2 plates if the right material is used. thus will assist with flex as it lets the shackle move somewhat with the arc of the leaf.

i think it would let the shackle twist.
when one wheel drops down the axle goes on an angle twisting the leaf which tries to twist the mounts at either end including the shackle itself.

Okay - I've had another chat with Ray. How he goes about the reset and additional leaf will depend on what happens up front, and the height gains there when the UCA are fitted.
He has explained that with any reset and fit variations can occur due to shackle movement, how the springs take the adjustment etc. His focus is to balance the vehicle, maintain current flex/ride and prevent sag. His worst case sceanario is a slight increase in stiffness and that I'll be back one day to have them reset again because of sag. The things in my favour is quality steel in the EFS (that's why he uses them) and not looking for massive height. I'm confident he knows what I want, and he knows what he is doing. (And knowing what I know now I probably would have kept the stock springs - which are under the house - and had him rebuild them - would have got the same height as the HD EFS springs).

Aussie - he does manufacture customs springs and will do various things depending on your needs. He said the stock springs are pretty good steel and often the answer is a couple of additional leaves depending on what you want. Best to give him a call to chat - Ray Walters 5134 8999.

Thanks for all the advice and opinions - it has been very helpful.

His preference is to reset & add additional leaf is, however other than that...................................wait for it,

blocks - can be okay but only if a small raise - he would prefer to use some packing leaves.
Although he wasn't against shackles for the right application. The moral of the story - it all depends on what you want and how you'r prepared to go about it.

That's all folks.

Last edited:
i think it would let the shackle twist.
when one wheel drops down the axle goes on an angle twisting the leaf which tries to twist the mounts at either end including the shackle itself.

Thats the idea. the factory shackles dont have a bar between them. Just make them out of a decent thickness plate so you dont have to worry about the plate shearing.

Latest posts

Back