Locking tailgate

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe2006

Reaction score
I know there were a couple of threads regarding locking tailgates however I wasn't sure I should be dragging one up & adding to the end.

My D40 tailgate has virtually nothing inside it's guts therefore central locking or a keyed lock was going to be too hard because too many parts would be required.

I only need to prevent it from being opened when I have the Engel in the back or something else worth pinching. The canopy window assists a little but a reasonable tug on the tailgate & I am sure it would be open to the world.

I hate drilling holes so used what was already there.

I made a bracket that goes under one of the bolts on the tailgate latch & put another bracket (from a child restraint but could easily be a bit of flat strap) under one of the bolts that holds the canopy to the tub.

Bought an $8.00 stainless turnbuckle to join the two when required.

Not the most elegant solution but cheap & can be reversed if no longer required with no sign of it ever being there.

Hope the pics make sense.

Attachments

• Image0185.jpg
    Image0185.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 293
  • Image0186.jpg
    Image0186.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 283
  • Image0183.jpg
    Image0183.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 296
  • Image0184.jpg
    Image0184.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 266
  • Image0189.jpg
    Image0189.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 276
A similarly easy and cheap solution which I was considering before I did the central locking tailgate was a simple piece of wire that disables the external handle and can only be opened from the inside, would only take a cut coat hanger and with a little finesse could be made to sit flush and out of the way but would definitely stop anyone opening the outside without the canopy open.

I had a look at disabling the handle & while I could prevent it lifting (the inner mechanism turning), if somebody forced the handle up, it would have broken. It would have also involved drilling a hole in the inner skin.

I could not work out how to allow the handle to lift & not unlock the tailgate.

In desperation I even thought of a rachet strap.

This will have to do.

Nice mod there mate, simple & looks like it will work well. I've had my tailgate on my d22 unlatch and only be held closed by the canopy, could have been messy considering the tray was chockers. Something like this could help if the tailate is getting pushed hard by a loaded tray. Cheers.

I could not work out how to allow the handle to lift & not unlock the tailgate.

The handle can be disabled quite easy and with a little more effort it can actually be modified to stay in place so it can't be ripped off but like you say your idea works and that's all that matters.

Latest posts

Back