Hand Throttle in a D22???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cleasc

Reaction score
Has anyone installed or looked into installing a hand throttle on their D22???
I'm a shocker at being able to keep the right foot steady over the rocky stuff and figured a hand throttle would be the perfect solution. Plus I've read that it can come in handy whilst winching.

Shown below is the perfect place for it.

I found the below site that sells an OEM Toyota unit (will prob try and find one closer to home tho) for a reasonable price.
Slee Off Road

With the following installation instructions...
Install Instructions

As far as I can tell, the only problem will be in the mounting bracket before the accelerator pedal. The actual fixing to the pedal shouldn't be too hard, just have to ensure it won't slip around.

So my questions to you all are as follows:
-Does anyone know of any better kits than the Toyota one above???
-Recommended hardware for the mounting brackets???

I figured I'd just head down to Bunnings and find something I could modify to suit.

What do people think???

Attachments

• DSCN2411.jpg
    DSCN2411.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 372
  • DSCN2412.jpg
    DSCN2412.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 276
  • DSCN2413.jpg
    DSCN2413.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 319
Talk to mobility companies that fit out cars for paraplegics. They do a hand throttle on a lever that works like a motorcycle throttle, and a forward motion of the lever activates the footbrake.

It shouldn't really matter unless the later models moved to electronic accelerators... which I doubt is the case.

But anyway, I have a 2006 D22 V6.

The hand throttle is a very simple system. Lots of people take the more difficult route of running through the firewall to the throttle body and tie into the accelerator pulley there. It seems that using a bicycle gear lever fixed onto the cars gear shifter is a popular method in the US. But I find this tacky and a little too exposed to knocks, etc.

The idea is to pull the hand throttle out and it locks in position when turned to one side. So when you pull the knob, it simply pulls on the accelerator pedal.

It's just a matter of how to best fix it all in place so it doesn't move around (which could be extremely dangerous).

I guess I'll just hit up Bunnings and find some bracket to modify. Worst case, a healthy dose of araldite expertly placed should do the job.

not sure about the V6 in that if its the same as the 3L diesel or not, but the diesel has an electronic throttle. If it is the same, you could do the following as per the picture.

The idea is that the ECU receives a 1.4 -5V signal from the accelerator. You could replicate it with a potentiometer.

The circuit would need a bit more work to protect the two signals going into the same input, the diagram is just to show the concept.

Attachments

• d22 hand throttle.jpg
    d22 hand throttle.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
What you are proposing is exactly what holden rodeo's came with as standard for a while. What you have shown should work, as it's all the rodeo had. screw the knob it pulls the cable in turn pulling throttle cable, simple yet effective.

Mitch

if your going to use the cable type on a diesel d22 then you would have to rig it off of the throttle pedal as they have electronic throttle control. no where to hook it up on the injection pump.

If its a diesel you could find what cuts out the Preheat switch when you put it into gear and use that, it revs it to about 1300rpm

But.......why?
The only purpose for a fast idle is for PTO driven accessories or for throwing hay bales / fence posts off the trailer.
As for being unable to maintain a steady throttle over rough surfaces....use the rhs of the footwell to steady your foot..cheaper and less complicated than what you propose.

Sorry but I dont see the point.

Latest posts

Back