Spats or flaps?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKT

Reaction score
G'day all. I've been lurkin around since buying '04 ST-R D22 Mar 2011 and picked up a lot so far from the knowledge base here.

I took the truck for its first offroad spin out at Landcruiser Park and was pretty impressed for such a large tuck. I thought the turning circle would kill me but it seems it ok so far.

Anyhoo... On return noticed the drivers side front mud spat mustve caught something and busted a few clips holding the flare on. Consequently it actually busted the little plastic deallys that the clips sit in, moulded into inside of the flare. I managed to araldite the moulded parts back into place and get a few clips from Nissan for $2 a pop and it came up pretty good.

I am pretty keen on dumping the spats all round for a flap, the obvious reason being the flex would save another de-flaring.

Has anyone replaced the spats for a flap that looks ok and works?
I am considering doing a mod to shorten the spats right up, leaving just enough to mount some after market basic square flaps to the spat allowing the stock fitting to the vehicle but getting the flex of a flap.

If anyone has any old busted spats they wanna send my way to muck around with I'd be thankfull.

Last edited:
Go to Clark rubber get some rubber sheet (or go and find some old truck flaps...) and simply make them to suit the guard mounts?no messing around to make your truck legal for running on the road then

I finally got round to picking up some generic rubber flexible flaps from Supercheap for $30 a pair and fitted em to the truck. Used only existing screws and holes on the front and one self tapper per flap for the rears. Went well. Note I used a nylon spacer on the rears to get the fit flat and clean.

IMG_1763-1200.jpg

IMG_1760-1200.jpg

Front

IMG_1762-1200.jpg

Rear

IMG_1764-1200.jpg

Packaging

Looks good. Your hoping they flex better than factory flaps and if they tear of they wont damage your flare. Is that right

Looks good. Your hoping they flex better than factory flaps and if they tear of they wont damage your flare. Is that right

Exactly.... They have plenty of flex.

I've already had the front right tear the flare half off after some rocky creek work.

Never again.

Is it the lens or does it look like you've got some positive camber in that rear wheel?

Mate this post saved me!! Thanks heeps, i went off road local just to have a look at a track and in a matter of 15mtrs in a short mud creek i ripped off the front passenger side arch and rear driver side flap i went off my nut when i quoted the repair cost and then saw this post and couldnt get to supercheap quick enouth, thanks again.

I had the same problem with the hilux i had prior to my Nav, everytime i went anywhere near mud i would rip them out. I simply left em off after a while, i didnt know it was illegal to not have them on?

Looks good, I've always been concerned about how the splats would go if hit on something. So you needed the longer ones for the front? with the different sizes they look to fit well, did you measure up a few sizes before grabbing those, or would buying both in the big size work fine. l was wondering where you bought found the thick nylon washers? thanks!

Last edited:
So you needed the longer ones for the front? with the different sizes they look to fit well, did you measure up a few sizes before grabbing those, or would buying both in the big size work fine. l was wondering where you bought found the thick nylon washers? thanks!

Actually I would have bought 2 sets of front ones but they only had one pair of each at the time and I just a had to get it done. Put off for too long. But I think it worked out well.

I use those spacers at work. I'm sure you could something from Bunnings.

Latest posts

Back