Flip-down/Drop-down LCD Screen

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davehigg76

Reaction score
Hi,

I am just wondering whether anyone has heard of a flip down LCD Monitor being installed in the roof of a D40 ST-X? I was thinking about puting one in level with the front seats so when the kids are in the back of the car, they can watch what I have playing from the front DVD.

Comments and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Forget the fold down monitor. Ebay individual headrests is the way to go. My kids are different ages and therefore watch and like different types of movies. The headrests fix that problem quick smart. No fighting which makes daddy a happy man when driving.

Check this link http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/L0203-2x...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2cc7bd00

I've currently got mine wired into the rear aux socket in the console but will soon change it so it's wired into the front aux socket which is permanent power. That way the kids can still watch movies when you are filling up or out of the car for a minute or two (but no longer). Yes, i know there's a risk of the headrests staying on and flattening the battery. I'm working on something as we speak. Would love suggestions if anyone has any?

Last edited:
merchant

i've run new accessary sockets at the rear of the centre consol, wired from the 2nd battery (so permanant power). I also have my UHF on this circuit as well.

I have an over-ride KILL switch under the dash (beside my right foot) so i can 'kill' the circuit if the KID(S) misbehave, or as i leave the car.

I don't need ones with a DVD playing in them as I have that built into the deck. Just a screen so the kids can watch what I play at the front.

Any other suggestions?

could probably run it thru a low voltage cut out relay. Companies like bainbridge technologies have things like that.
They may even be able to adjust the cut out level for you too.

These look even better actually
VICTRON Battery Protect 40A

If you want something like this let me know and I will give ya a forum discount on the bainbridge stuff. Will end up cheaper posted to your door for most things I would say.

Last edited:
step relay switched by the pulse from the door locks, but if you lock the doors while you drive along the TV will go off.

sure you can put a screen in the roof, personally i'd go the headrests, just get creative!

Outback roof consoles have what could be a very handy hole (with the tilt drawer removed) which would fit a 7 inch monitor, the problem is it needs to pivot and fold, if it did both it would hide neatly inside the console. This was the path I was going to follow until I decided it was way to much work for so little gain so now I'm developing a quick release bracket which mounts to the console and when I don't want it in the car (90% of the time) it's not eye candy for thieves.

For the record my dual screen DVD (main is going in the somewhere in the front) runs a maximum 16 watts with both units running, if I am desperate I can change that by turning of a screen and using USB instead of the DVD drive. So I'm not overly worried about power.

Dave

Forget the fold down monitor. Ebay individual headrests is the way to go. My kids are different ages and therefore watch and like different types of movies. The headrests fix that problem quick smart. No fighting which makes daddy a happy man when driving.

Check this link L0203 2x 7" LCD Car Headrest DVD Player Black Cover p6 | eBay

I've currently got mine wired into the rear aux socket in the console but will soon change it so it's wired into the front aux socket which is permanent power. That way the kids can still watch movies when you are filling up or out of the car for a minute or two (but no longer). Yes, i know there's a risk of the headrests staying on and flattening the battery. I'm working on something as we speak. Would love suggestions if anyone has any?

merchant, they look good, that would solve the dramas i have in my car with a 14yr old and a 5yr old thats for sure, as you can imagine it does my head in.

i just have a few questions if you dont mind.

what size dvd player do you have, 7? or 9?.

whats the quality like?

how did you run the wires? do they all drop through the seat?

sorry for all the questions just like to get it through someone that is using this system. thanks :cheers!:

Seriously?
What happened to counting red cars and blue cars? Punch bug? Eye spy?

tried that aido, but punch bug ends up with punch each other. eye spy ends up with you hurt my eye. red cars and blue cars ends up with dads red and then blue face from loosing it!! :suicide2: so thought i might try something new :sarcastic:

Last edited:
step relay switched by the pulse from the door locks, but if you lock the doors while you drive along the TV will go off.

sure you can put a screen in the roof, personally i'd go the headrests, just get creative!

That sounds good but i live in the Pilbara and lock the doors when i drive through certain towns :big_smile: The kids won't be able to watch TV.

merchant, they look good, that would solve the dramas i have in my car with a 14yr old and a 5yr old thats for sure, as you can imagine it does my head in.

i just have a few questions if you dont mind.

what size dvd player do you have, 7? or 9?.]

whats the quality like?
how did you run the wires? do they all drop through the seat?

sorry for all the questions just like to get it through someone that is using this system. thanks :cheers!:

I think i have 7" but i'll need to check. 9" to me would be too large.

The quality is fine. I have done the Gibb River Rd plus numerous other corrugated roads and they are still going. One thing i did when i first installed them was to add screen protectors. They work a treat. And they look good.

The wires drop down the rear of the seat and come out the bottom. Very easily done. I then soldered on a cigi plug and just plugged it into the aux socket in the console. The plan is to wire them up to a permanent feed from the console somehow.

This is one of the best purchases i've made. It keeps the kids quiet and if i ever decide on a career change i'll look at becoming a Wiggle. I now know i'll the songs :big_smile: Boom boom chuga chuga big red car...........:dancing:

Last edited:
I think i have 7" but i'll need to check. 9" to me would be too large.

The quality is fine. I have done the Gibb River Rd plus numerous other corrugated roads and they are still going. One thing i did when i first installed them was to add screen protectors. They work a treat. And they look good.

The wires drop down the rear of the seat and come out the bottom. Very easily done. I then soldered on a cigi plug and just plugged it into the aux socket in the console. The plan is to wire them up to a permanent feed from the console somehow.

This is one of the best purchases i've made. It keeps the kids quiet and if i ever decide on a career change i'll look at becoming a Wiggle. I now know i'll the songs :big_smile: Boom boom chuga chuga big red car...........:dancing:

hahaha im hearing you on that one.
you have sold me on the headrests. i will be ordering some asap.
1 more question, where did you get the screen protectors from?

Last edited:
My 9 inch headrest car dvd player

I got this 9 inch with Android 2.3 Tablet PC and Car Multimedia System. It is easy to install. I just fixed it on the headrest. It just like a tablet pc headrest dvd. http://www.justcardvd.com/products/9-inch-Android-2.3-Tablet-PC-and-Car-Multimedia-System-.html
JCJC149821-2__36217_zoom.jpg

Back