D40 Starting Issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisWalter

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hoping you might be able to help, i have a 2007 Navara D40 STX 2.5 Litre Turbo Diesel.

The last few nights (8.30PMish) i have noticed an issue starting my Navara, it will fire up and start first off with no problem but it will only run for a minute or so and then die. From there it takes about 1-2 minutes to start again and from there its fine no other issues.

Any ideas?

Welcome to the forums.

Any warning lights, flashing lights, bangs crashes or farts to go with the engine shutting down?

Hi,

No nothing, no alarms, lights bangs or crashes.

Had it around 6 months and no other issues and first time this has appeared.

Cheer

Stop driving it at 8:30pm :smile:

I'm guessing since it's only a minute or two your still idling, sitting in the driveway etc and not barreling down the highway. Do the electrics cut out at the same time, i.e. radio, lights etc all go together? If so do they come back on before the minute or so you say it takes before the car starts again?

Not really tracing anything particular here just offering up possible questions that might eventually lead somewhere or at very least waste time till someone else has an idea.

Hi,

Basically walk out the door from work, start the ute and it will idle for a short time and then just stop as if its stalled.

It could be less-than-stellar glow plugs, but then you should have trouble starting it at all.

It's more likely to be a minor leak in the fuel line (suction side, so fuel doesn't get squirted out). This allows air to enter the hose and the fuel to run back to the tank. The fuel filter and pump have enough fuel in them to start the thing and idle it over for a short while, then the air gets into the rail and the engine stops - but by this time, your pump has drawn up fuel from the tank again, so you crank it over a bit and it starts and keeps going.

The test is easy. Next time you go to start the car like this, pop the bonnet BEFORE you try and give the primer bulb a few squeezes. Within 2-3 squeezes it should be really hard.

If it is, and the vehicle starts and then stalls, try the primer bulb before you try starting it again.

If you have to squeeze it more than that, you have a small leak on the suction side of the fuel pump. Look around the hoses for cracks, splits or movement.

Thanks Tony i will give that a try and see how it goes, it doesnt happen starting it first in the morning though just at night after work.

I will see how your suggestion goes, thanks for the help.

I just started experiencing this same problem. Nav kicks over and runs for 5 seconds then stalls. Takes about 5 seconds of cranking time to get to fire again. Usually does this when has been parked for a while.

After reading this thread this morning i gave the pump a few squeezes and it went hard, kicked it over and didnt fault. Just went out to try again and without priming it and stalled again. Im guessing there may be a leak in the fuel line or something along those lines. The check engine light does come up so if i dont have any luck it will be off to nissan.

Any other pointers would be great! i will keep posted on results.

Stop driving it at 8:30pm :smile:

Not really tracing anything particular here just offering up possible questions that might eventually lead somewhere or at very least waste time till someone else has an idea.

LOL Krafty.
Wasnt there a mention of some fuel reset thingy has to be done following a fuel filter replacement? Maybe not done? Is this true, Mr Nissan has to be around after I change my ff? Blimmy!!!!

I just started experiencing this same problem. Nav kicks over and runs for 5 seconds then stalls. Takes about 5 seconds of cranking time to get to fire again. Usually does this when has been parked for a while.

After reading this thread this morning i gave the pump a few squeezes and it went hard, kicked it over and didnt fault. Just went out to try again and without priming it and stalled again. Im guessing there may be a leak in the fuel line or something along those lines. The check engine light does come up so if i dont have any luck it will be off to nissan.

Any other pointers would be great! i will keep posted on results.

I'd take a look at the fuel filter, the seal may not have been installed correctly. Otherwise, it's probably a hose clamp that isn't on right, or it's been done up so tight it's kinking the hose.

Bring it along to Minmi pub on Sunday at noon we'll all take a squiz at it.

Mechanic seems to think it is a leaking o-ring on the under side of the fuel flter. there is an electrical switch which im not exactly sure does that connects to the filter (maybe water sensor?) he thins its leaking ir into fuel line....will wait and see when o-ring is replaced. Working this weekend Tony but will try and catch up some day to put faces to names.

Well you cannot buy the o-ring that seal the bottom of the fuel filter so got new assembly with what i think is a water sensor that clips on the under side of the filter. It was leaking under pressure and causing all my problems. New filter and no more stallinf for me.

Latest posts

Back