Looking for advice

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCR

Reaction score
G'day,

Just looking for a bit of advice regarding bullbar and suspension setups.

The issue is this. I need a bullbar on my MY10 ST and have been searching around Perth trying to get a good deal. As far as i know, the best bullbar to get would be an ARB, as i have heard iron man are cheap and tend to bend under winch load. This will cost around 2200-2300k. I have also been made aware that steel bullbars make the front springs piss and a suspension upgrade is recommended. Now, i was quoted about 2400 to get an OME 50mm suspension installed and if i get both of them done at ARB he will knock 10% off the total price. So all up it will be around to 4000k mark.

i was just wondering if any one has had an OME kit installed/ have found a better kit for a similar price?

The other option would be to go with Nissan's alloy bar for around 3000k with no suspension upgrade.... but i just dont trust nissan's gear.

You don't trust Nissan's gear but you brought a Nissan motor vehicle? Seems strange to me but hey whatever rocks your world. Also Nissan don't make the bar so it's stranger still that you don't trust it because of a name.

OME is too short to search for so do an advance search for OME suspension in the D40 section I'm sure you'll find some responses as to who's running OME gear.

I'd suggest the same search for bullbars but if you don't like Nissan gear you certainly aint going to like some of the comments about ARB stuff, so if you prefer ARB it might be best just reading their site.

You'll probably also find that the bending Ironman bars is a bit of a myth too, Woody's got an Ironman bar he uses to clear car parks (he is that good of a driver) and his is hardly scratched.

Anyway I'm sure a search will yield the results you need.

Its not that i dont trust Nissan's gear, its that i dont trust the quality for price on their genuine parts. Dont get me wrong, the alloy bar does look good, but i just can't comprehend the 2900k cost + 400 bucks fitting. Thanks for the reply mate. I will have a scout around and see what i find

Bar's definitely aren't my forte, I've built them before and I've fitted them to other vehicles but not Nav's so I don't always take much notice of bullbar threads however I do seem to have some memory of people suggesting that as far as alloy bars goes Nissan bars are often the cheapest, I could be wrong but I'm sure that has come up on a few occasions. They are made by either TJM or ARB (a search will reveal that I'm sure because it's been well spoken about) and rebadged by Nissan but I'm sure some have said they are cheaper.

Some will tell you $4K for steel is the best option because alloy stops nothing and you can't put a winch on an alloy bar, but don't let that stop you. Steel bends and often causes more damage to the car wearing the steel bar and winches can be added to alloy bars but different mounts need to be organised for the winch. But if you think alloy is enough for you then you're right the $4k upgrade is a bit steep.

Yeah i have read that nissan bars are made by ARB, but i cant get Nissan to confirm it/ i dont think the parts blokes know or care where their gear is made. Can i ask what your forte is lol, because if it is suspension then what do you recommend? I am planning to keep this nav for a while and i just want to make sure the gear lasts.

My forte is actually web design, computer and network administration and by some quirk of fate low maintenance farming. I also dabble in bullshit and shit stirring but rarely get paid for that.

Although I have been involved in making bullbars, making trays, thrashing around the bush, making 4wd training videos and just generally having a good time in the mud I'm not an "eddie expert" on any of the topics and therefore let those who spend more time playing with such things give away the best advice, I just throw comments now and then when I see an opening...and you'd be surprised just how many openings there are.

The ARB store I spoke to said that ARB do make the "genuine" Navara steel bars for Nissan & they are basically a cross between the ARB Commercial & Deluxe bars (Deluxe bar with loops). Who knows?

I think when ARB are present at any of the camping or 4wd shows they offer 10% discount regardless of the size of the purchase however not for the fitting cost.

Perhaps I'm easy pleased but I am very happy with my ARB bar (& canopy).

I ordered mine at a caravan & camping show & whilst they stuffed up the quote (a number of times) & I had a few other issues, it all worked out end.

The price of my Deluxe bar ended up being about the same as I could have got the Nissan bar if I had ordered it with the car.

I like to help :sarcastic:

Thing is I know what I like, want and need I know how to build it, set it up or install it and can do most things myself or with mates but because my installation/fittment methods so often go against public opinion rather than start arguments I leave the opinions to others and just dribble my own shit. Arguments are for the non tech related threads.

i have a nissan steel bar on my current one (5 year old) and hit too many hoppers to count,my replacement ute will have the same, well under 2 grand fitted. suspension upgrades there are a lot around now,but i will use the same dobinson springs with different shocks for a lot less than ome will cost you.

I have an ARB Winch bar and OME 2" lift in my D40 King cab.

The OME kit is the 400kg contant load springs, and even without anything in my canopy it is still very comfortable (The canopy weighs around 250kg which is probably around 100kg heavier than the tub was (guessing here). Destroys the std suspension.

From memory it lifted the front around 40mm (before didnt have a bar or winch)

the back lifted around 75mm

Yeah i have had a scout around and it think i will go with a combination of Row EFS and King springs. But before i do that i will fit the ARB delux bar. I found a great shop on Gnagara rd and the guy was really help full and non bias. ARB are obviously in a deal with OME so of course their suspension is the best thing since sliced bread. Maybe it is, but there are cheaper loafs of bread out there haha

get yourself a set of 2 inch coil strut spacers for the front and that will level it out, thats what i did on mine

Yeah I went with the spacers as well....however mine had to be machined down a little to ensure level ride.

Attachments

• IMG_3905.jpg
    IMG_3905.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3903.jpg
    IMG_3903.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 71
Having hit 6 kangaroo's I will say the Nissan bullbars go alright.

1 headlight and a washer bottle neck. The headlight mounts were broken by the shockload.

The last roo I hit twisted the bullbar, but he was a big bastard.

Anyways, bullbar got sent to a mob in Sydney to be straightened and powdercoated.

Couldn't be happier with the finish. Really hard wearing stuff.

Back