A/T tyre advice

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

googs

Reaction score
I'm getting some new hoops for my truck and have narrowed down to GT Saverro plus($270ea), Wrangler AT/SA($279ea) and Dunlop Grand trek AT3(284ea) I'm probably not so keen on the Dunlop as the tread doesn't look particularly aggressive but if it is a long laster I couold be persuaded. Has anyone had any experience with these hoops on rough, rocky, stake infested country. I live in Alice and need something with a pretty strong sidewall and puncture resistance. I'm not keen on muddies as I just don't need them up here and I have installed a compressor so I can adjust the pressure to suit different situations. Any help would be great!!
Googs

I can only go by my own personal experience - I have BF Goodrich ATs on mine and find that they are very satisfactory. Don't slide around too much in the wet, have plenty of grip on the loose stuff and don't make a lot of noise on the road. Mine (265/70R16) were $359 each, 265/75R16s were $329 each at the time.

Wouldn't waste my money on those crap tyres, check out Micky Thompson AT 4 ribs, top of the range tyre with great reviews, my brother has had 2 sets of these tyres and both sets have done around 150,000ks, also looks tough and 80,000km warranty.

I've looked into all the same tyres and have come down to savero at plus and bridgestone 694. Both patterns are good and semi aggressive and prices are minor different. Mine at 265/70/16 $235 for savero and $269 for bridgestone 694. Both good reviews and will give good life if rotated regularly. I've heard 90000 plus from both tyres. I still can't decide on which one to get.

Good ol' 4wd action running a full A/T tyre comparo in this months issue. Have a gander at that if you have a spare ten minutes.

pirelli scorpian atr $250 each fitted 265 75 16 done 45000kms still heaps of tread good in the wet mud work not too bad in melbourne

Was talking to the tire guy today and he reckons I shouldn't put on 265/75's on as it will mess too much with the gearing. I can sort of see his point as they are a larger diameter, but not that much. It only works out to be an inch taller and the tyre seems way stronger. I told him that I regularly travel on rarely used tracks or cross country and stakes are a major issue. He then tells me that the 70 profile tyres won't handle that abuse very well and gave me no other options. I have extended my pool to include the Maxxis bighorn and bravo. I didn't want to go a MT but they seem to have much stronger sidewalls and far more puncture resistant. I also wanted to go a skinnier tyre but they couldn't go below 245. Thats odd considering the new hiluxes can have as small as 205.

265/75R16s are 5% larger in road circumference than the 255/70R16s that are fitted from factory. My 265/70R16s are only 2% larger and my fuel consumption has noticeably increased since fitting them. I can only surmise that tyres even larger would have an appropriately larger increase in consumption.

MT tyres are a different kettle of fish to road or AT tyres, you will find that MT tyres won't last nearly as long since there's so much less rubber on the road. They are also much noisier on sealed roads.

I've decided on a set of Maxxis Bravo AT 265/75/16LT. In regards to the increased fuel consumption, did you get the speedo recalibrated to suit as if not it would directly affect your calculations. Unless you use GPS for speed/distance. I only went with the 75 profile as it seems they are the closest size I can get to original that also have the LT grade. Hopefully they are a good compromise of cost vs wear vs offroad ability. Couldn't justify spending $400 on Mickey thomson or Coopers. I'll see how this set goes! Thanks for all the good advice.

The latest 4wd action has a massive a/t comparision if this helps .
ps I run cooper st's and are happy with them 265/75/16.

my other choice was the 4 rib atz by m/t.
Just my two cents worth!!

Cepeks. Good things.
Go where MT's go. Handle everyday driving well. Mine 30K kms and barely worn. Guarantee of 80k kms.
Wouldn't touch the Bridgestones. Coopers Maybe. Maxxis Bighorns -40K Kms at best on road.
MT 4 ribs.ATZ good things said.

I went from standard tyres to 265/75/16 Bridgestone 694L/T.Speedo is almost spot on now,revs down at 100 kph to under 2000(was just over 2000 on standard),fuel economy not much change may have gone down slightly.more than happy wiyh them

In regards to the increased fuel consumption, did you get the speedo recalibrated to suit as if not it would directly affect your calculations.

My spreadsheet accounts for it:

=IF(E166>0;(E166-F166+G166)/(C166*1.02/100);" ")

Where E contains the litres filled, F and G contain litres bought/used in jerry cans, C is the km done according to the tripmeter. The 1.02 represents a 2% increase in the km traveled to reflect actual km traveled for the purposes of the calculation.

And yes, my consumption is still higher since the new tyres went on, so it does make a difference.

I only went with the 75 profile as it seems they are the closest size I can get to original that also have the LT grade.

265/75R16s are 5% larger than originals (2525.23mm circumference compared to 2398.29mm), so if you were using a similar formula you'd replace the 1.02 with 1.05.

ive had coopers on mine for 60, 000 and have not even rotated them still got heaps of tread everything great, only downfull they do at times get a little bit slippery in the wet

Basically to distribute wear evenly between the driving/steering tyres. Normally you would change R/Rear to L/Front and L/Front to Spare, L/Rear to R/Front then Spare to L/Rear. Or something close to that. But most tyre places will only swap the main 4 corners and leave the spare where it is. (or people doing it themselves)

The at review in the mag was really mixed. Why didn't coopers advertise there new at3 and mickey t put there at 5rib on there.the st maxx and 4 rib are more of a mt to me.

Cheers for the equation Old Tony. From your previous posts i've read I wouldn't have thought that would slip past you. I've decided to get 6 tyres as I do alot of really remote exploring and the security of an extra spare was difficult to pass up. The salesman has talked me into a set of maxxis buckshot. They seem to be a pretty aggressive tyre whilst not being as aggressive as a full on M/T. He tells me they have greater re-enforcement in the sidewall which was appealing as I often often follow very old tracks through mulga/ironwood scrub. I will let you guys know how they go. Hopefully I didn't get had by this smooth talking salesman.

Latest posts

Back