diesel quality - performance/mileage/longevity

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craighaty7

Reaction score
At the risk of stirring up a hornets nest ...
I have searched the forums and after spending hours reading bits and pieces, I have decided if it's so hard to find, I'll ask the question directly: Is there a difference between retail diesel sold?
I've been logging my mileage from suppliers - Caltex, Shell, BP etc - and have not yet seen any pattern in the best fuel to buy. (I did get a tank full once from an Independent in Warren (NSW) and noticed a marked improvement in power - maybe psychologically)
I do about 1200km per week, so I use a lot of fuel and am trying to get the best mileage out of it.
I also have just bought (in March 2011) my new D40 ST dual cab manual, now with 25,000km on it (July 2011) and will like to keep it for many years (equating to 200-300,000km) and am trying to keep it in best condition for a long life.
As well as, trying to get the best performance out of it; doing those miles I like to 'drive' it, not nurse it.
I really would like to hear about what users "know" of off-the-shelf diesel fuel.
I've just been reading the entire post about using 2-stroke oil as a diesel additive and didn't come away with any 'results', only opinions. So as a minor part of this question (please don't dwell on it) - is there any definate benifits to diesel additives (including 2stroke oil)?
Forgive me if anyone is experiencing deja vu - I'm sure the chemist will have something for it ...

I don't think you'll start up a hornets nest, these topics have come up before and no one's really got too bothered by it. We are a pretty docile bunch and only a few threads have had to be closed due to the hornets biting.

I do however think such threads are only ever going to be opinion based rather than factual. Many of us have done testing on fuels, fuel additives and driving habits and some have even been a bit scientific but realistically they all have anomalies and/or flaws, and even when tests and vehicles appear identical they often aren't.

Most testing still comes down a lot to personal preference and seeing results we want to see, especially when we start talking 1lph or less type fuel improvements or slightly less noise etc.

For what it's worth I use a special blend of diesel fuel, it's called " the shit what comes out of the pump at the servo I stop at when I need fuel" and my economy varies a little bit but not a great deal.

Through the company i work for we run diesel generators and i have noticed that diesel from the pump is blueish and the diesel we get direct from the tank is more yellow so i filled up my nav with a bit of fuel from work and i noticed a power gain

Through the company i work for we run diesel generators and i have noticed that diesel from the pump is blueish and the diesel we get direct from the tank is more yellow so i filled up my nav with a bit of fuel from work and i noticed a power gain

Anyone remember basic school art primary colour mixing - what do I add to blue to make it yellow - LOL.

@Krafty - thanks mate, I fully appreciate the lack of facts. I've learnt most factory specs and 'facts' can't be replicated in real life anyway.
I was more chasing what users have actually experience and know, rather than guessing and "it sounds good to me" attitude.
I'm filling like you ATM, and fuel up with what ever's available from the pump.
I have heard the BP Ultimate is supposed to be better, but I'm wondering, if for the same cost, I can use any fuel, put an additive in it, and end up with something better. At $200 a week in fuel (10.8lt/100Km) little savings can add up; and with those miles, a little wear'n'tear can add up too.

Don't be affraid to comment - I like these discussions. This is a great forum. I love my Navara (once I lift up it's sagging bum).

Mmm, my school taught me, prevention is betta than cure. You kno what they say about opinions tho eh. These modern vehicles are a bit like cats, fussy n own you. I do the numbers, and look for the quality. I work with guy's that use that amount of fuel you are talking about in machinery and trucks. Some buy from the NAME brands and others do the cheapest Independents etc. You asked about pump verses the depot? If I read it correctly. Again these guy's do either, and I've asked why? Account was the answer! Never hear one way or the other good or bad. Diesel tech's say to me "GET THE BEST" they see the results of poor fuel n water in it all the time. I look for the quality, 98, (fresh) where they sell plenty, and use an additive as I've had fungie in a machine before. So I spend to save. My additive, Chemtec cost is $90/5lt and at 1ml/lt is $1.50/ 80lt tank, and 98 fuel usually extra 2 or 3 cents/lt. Dunno what a fuel pump or injectors etc cost but I'm guessing heeeeeeaps. Sorry you asked yet? LOL

Thanks JJohn. Not sorry I asked at all - what you said is what I've been thinking, but you can't always trust that because you spend more you get better quality, so I was sus'ing the vibe on this.
I agree with you about the expense of an additive to save in the long run.
I've heard of that Chemtec - is it something you use every tank full, or occassionally?

I use what ever fuel station is nearest to me when I need to fill up, usually the Caltex near home or Quix near work, but have noticed the "winter mix" thats at some servo's around here and I'm still wondering what it is and if it'll do anything different (good or bad) to my Nav.

Diesel tech the other day said the plastic tanks they use have reservoir around the pick up in the tank. Similar to the john deere tank I had fungie in. The water gets trapped in it and there it grows. Biiiiitch to get out. So yes I do use it every tank to prevent growth. Does it work? Dunno. Cost heaps if you buy little 250ml bottles. I make my machinery work for me so I do my best. Told about another one, it's on a different thread.
It is really a bit of a mine field eh.

There are two servos I pass in my daily commute, and use regularly, a BP and a Shell. After getting lower ks out of the shell fuel over three different tanks, I stopped using the Shell. But I must admit, there wasn't any real scientific control over the driving here.

I generally use Shell, but have used fuel from Caltex, Mobil, BP and even an outback station that probably had a high percentage of biodiesel in it.

The verdict? That stuff from Kings Creek Station was the best stuff I'd ever poured into the tank. The worst stuff I ever put in came from the Shell at Wilcannia. Moral of this story is that the brand of fuel doesn't really seem to matter a lot, and I'm beginning to wonder if biodiesel isn't all that bad after all.

My advice regarding diesel fuel would be "where possible, buy from a big, busy truck port". Small servos may not turn their fuel over a lot and as a result it could get waxy or have other contaminants in it.

fuel comparisons

These are my experiences.

Caltex fuel best fuel economy/power/quiter engine but noticebly more smoke

Shell less power/less fuel economy less smoke more engine noise

BP less power/less fuel economy/more engine noise

Mobil like the caltex

Liberty shit never again/waste of money

Caltex with 2 stroke oil 10% gain in economy/more noticeble power

Caltex with chemtech/lots of smoke shit performance/20% drop economy

Like I said these are my experiences

D40 2010 manual 3 inch,dump pipe,chipit big tune,k&n,pro vent,egr mod,fuel rail mod,egr sensor,19767klms on the clock

Always getting between 9.3 and 10 per 100kls with a mix of city and light open roads and a weight of approx 200 kilos.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back