Identification

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajcmbrown

Reaction score
Hi all, can anyone tell me if I can identify my engine by the engine number?
It is a TD27 Turbo from a Teranno but I don't know what year.
I think this would be great info for ordering parts that are specific to the model year.

If it's an early WD21 jap import jobby even that may not help. What sort of bits are year specific?

A late thought, you might be able to do a REVS check on the engine to get a history, depending on age, yr of import and state you are in. A big might though.

Thanks guys, I should explain that I have a 1996 Navara with a TD27 Turbo engine that had been transplanted before I bought it. I could ask the dealer for the name of the previous owner but I think that the Privacy Laws would prevent them from telling me who that was.
Maybe I could ask them to pass on my number to the previous owner and ask them to call me?
Anyway I just thought it would be helpful to know what the engine came out of so that should I need parts for it then it will be simplified.

Best bet is to search all the cast parts on the engine for a date stamp.

You can be confident it's between 1988 and 1994, and within that range there should be very, very, very limited changes to the engine componentry based on model year.

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if there were changes made such as injectors, water pump etc.
Did they stop building them in 1994? I don't know if this came from a grey import or not, did the Teranno II have the same engine or were there differences that would identify it?

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if there were changes made such as injectors, water pump etc.
Did they stop building them in 1994? I don't know if this came from a grey import or not, did the Teranno II have the same engine or were there differences that would identify it?

Somewhere around there the Terrano II was invented, which runs a TD motor but it's got an electronically controlled injection pump, and would be a bit of a minefield for parts commonality with the TD27T.

Your engine had to come from a grey import. There was no turbo-diesel W/D21 chassis vehicle sold through Nissan Australia.

Thanks Dion, this one has your regular injection pump so I guess that means it was definitely a pre Teranno II. You are right about the minefield of using the later engine in a D21, that would take some creative engineering.
The turbo on this one seems to spool up ok but I think I am losing boost somewhere, are these prone to leaking around the inlet manifold? Maybe the crossover hoses are leaking a little as well so I will replace them first.

At a guess it would be a WD21 engine or Nissan Cabster engine if its not electronic.

The TD27 has been used for years and years, they haven't changed that much, mainly the vacuum pump.

Dion, just on another subject, can you tell me if a Teranno I WD21 instrument cluster will fit a D21 Navara?
The reason I ask is because I would like the tacho to work but I believe the Teranno sender on the injector pump wont work with the Navara tacho, is this true?
If so I thought I might be able to fit a whole cluster or even the tacho from a Teranno cluster.
Sorry for the off subject questions, I didn't think it warranted a separate thread.

Dion, just on another subject, can you tell me if a Teranno I WD21 instrument cluster will fit a D21 Navara?
The reason I ask is because I would like the tacho to work but I believe the Teranno sender on the injector pump wont work with the Navara tacho, is this true?
If so I thought I might be able to fit a whole cluster or even the tacho from a Teranno cluster.

I tried once to plug one into mine. The tachometer flat out didn't work, but mine doesn't run a Terrano motor so hey who knows. If it were me doing the job, I'd prefer to fit a TD27 timing case cover off a D21, including the D21 engine speed sensor, rather than trying to get a WD21 cluster to work and most likely ending up with unused P R N D 2 1 lamps down the LHS of the cluster in the process.

I'm putting a wd21 td27t into my d21. I'm going to swap the dash over, and having pulled it the build is identical other than a few extra lights, so you should be right to get a wd21 dash to fit yours.

Excellent! I thought it would be very similar. Was the WD21 only available in auto?
I could probably do something to cover/hide the auto quadrant if they were.

Latest posts

Back