Installing a Dual Battery system myself, Need all the help I can get!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmma221

Reaction score
Hello again all, I know that I have already discussed this topic before but I need to bring it back up again. DUAL BATTERY SYSTEMS! Firstly I wanted to see what you thought of this quote I have received from OL in Jandakot (Perth)?

Steel battery box suit N70 battery (with provisions for 2 Hella sockets) - $95 (The battery box is a steel front runner box)
Redarc 100amp smart start- $175
Charge Master Dual Battery Monitor- $144
Fitting including wiring of all under bonnet test system- $250
Electrical Consumables (2BS Battery cable x 2)- $75
GST (******* GST) - $67.82
TOTAL- $ 739
This quote did not include a battery (I’m going to get the 105amp Fullriver Battery)
Thoughts? This is the cheapest quote that I have had (by far) from any 4x4 company. ARB quote was $1500.

I wasnt going to do it myself because im not very technically minded but i thought because a lot of you have installed your own dual battery systems, you guys are the experts to talk to. I am installing it into a 2004 STR 3L turbo diesel. I’m not going to move anything in the engine bay around (Looks complicated?) , so I have decided that I am going to put it in a battery box behind the left have wheel arch. I was also going to use anderson plugs to make it removable.

I was wondering if you guys had any photos, drawings, diagrams, price lists, what parts you used (i.e. Redarc, projector, arb, tjm, national luna), anything that would help me doing this myself.
I have attached a photo of the back of my car, as mentioned it will be going behind the left hand wheel arch.
Thanks heaps in advance! And I hope we can have a good discusion about this!

Attachments

• P1010753.jpg
    P1010753.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 221
  • P1010752.jpg
    P1010752.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 198
Do you need the battery in the tray ?

http://www.sidewinder.com.au/page42.html offer a kit for the engine bay.

I have the kit. Still haven't installed it yet though. Lol.

However ask for the 2.8L tray.

Its got me !@#$% what the 2.8L is as the Navara has never run a engine with that capacity.

I'd never pay that much for a 2nd battery install but then I buy parts at trade price and install myself so I wont suggest it's a bad price for everyone.

I probably never took pics of my 2nd battery install (and it has changed recently anyway) but all you really need is an isolator (Projecta, Redarc etc of about 100AMP, any more is a waste) some cable (6mm squared min) a fuse or similar (I've got a self resetting fuse) and a battery. With those simple parts your system will connect and charge the battery.

On the other side of the battery you just need provisions to plug in what you need whether it be AUX (Cig lighter) connections, direct connections or some other form of connector, run them through a fuse panel if you must and then mount securely.

It really does have to be that simple, there is no need for heaps of other parts, 240V chargers, inverters etc they are all preference items. Even at cost price such a simple set up with a 100AH deep cycle should cost you less than $350.

Hay all, Ok I have decided that I am going o go with Redarc, can you guys give me a detailed rundown on how to install it. What cables I need, where to put the cables etc etc. This would help me quite a lot because i can seem to find anything on the internet. Also, whats the go with anderson plugs? How do they work and how do they connect?

It all depends on what method you subscribe too as to what you need. My battery is in the tub and that may not be suitable for you since D22's do have room under the bonnet but all you really need to do is get the isolator, a fuse capable of handling the current (probably 50Amp) and enough 6mm squared cable to atleast run from the first battery through the isolator and to the second battery, (handy to have more and use it after the 2nd battery too but not entirely necessary and dependent on where you put the second battery) and that's pretty much all you need.

Bare in mind that isolators over 150Amp while they sound good aren't really required as the factory alternator is only about 80Amp from memory and not capable of putting out anywhere near 150amp, sure it's worth having some reserve but considering all the other things running at the same time the likelihood of getting anywhere near the rated amps from the alternator to your second battery is almost zero.

Once you have the parts plan out where you want things to be and where cables will run etc, also plan out any plugs and sockets and how you will or even if you will fix them to something to make them easy to access and then wire it all up.

There is plenty of posts already here showing how people have done their own set ups, they may not have a picture of every step but if your confident in doing the job you shouldn't need that many pictures as it is really that simple if you want it to be.

There is so many posts on here about second battery installs that it will take you longer to read them all than actually install the system.

As for anderson plugs they work exactly like any other plug, they aren't required, or special and it's purely a preference as to whether you like using those or like using something else that does the same job but looks different.

Latest posts

Back