Central Locking on D40 With Turbo Timer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisWalter

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to know if there is any way around my problem.

I have recently had the guys at Nissan fit a turbo timer to my STX D40, the remote locking wont work until the engine finally cuts out, if there anyway around this?

Cheers

Yeah if you got Nissan to install it make them fix it. Surely their system allows for NATS to override the system somewhere otherwise the factory system is useless to all NATS installed cars.

Hi Krafty,

Thanks for that, so there should be a way to lock the vehicle while the engine is still running of the turbo timer?

I would think so otherwise it makes a turbo timer on and STX a safety issue. I don't really think turbo timers are required on factory turbos so I don't have any intention of installing one but I think it's ridiculous if they can't be made to work with what Nissan install and I'd be hitting them for a fix until they fixed it. Might be different if you went after market but since you said it was done by Nissan then it's their problem as far as I'm concerned.

Cool, so i read on here that the STX models have key entry on the passenger side under the clip thing. Do you think that it should work automatically or does it run on a fuse, as i just tried and it dosen't unlock or lock the ute.

I would assume it works automatically and with minimal electronics, it's there for if NATS dies (eg a flat battery) and the car is locked so I'd imagine it would have to be usable under all circumstances but then I'm not 100% sure if it only opens the passenger door or opens all doors, been a long time since I tested mine.

It is illegal for any vehicle to be locked while the engine is still running thats why the doors wont lock when the turbo timer is in use.

It is illegal for any vehicle to be locked while the engine is still running thats why the doors wont lock when the turbo timer is in use.

really??? how come you can lock the doors while you are driving??

I could be wrong but I believe that law is only in some states and in the case of Nathan's question it only pertains to stationary vehicles with the occupant outside. Suppose to stop people from walking away from their running vehicles but give that it can be done in just about every other vehicle on the road I doubt too many have ever been slugged for it.

I guess however it could be why Nissan have wired it that way (any excuse) but if it is and they refuse to fix it I'd definitely be looking at modifying the system. It can't be that hard to modify but I'd need a circuit diagram to get an idea of how things are connected.

Does it automatically lock after the turbo timer has switched off?

I had a ARB turbo timer fitted and the only way you can lock the car with the timer on is press the door lock button on the lower dash then hop out of the car and shut the door.. it will lock.. stupid way of doing it but its the only way it works...

From memory the supply and fit was around $200.00, the vehicle wont auto lock after the turbo timer shuts off, you still need to actually press the remote after shut down.

Slicks option while stupid as he suggests would no doubt be a work around. It really can't be that hard to bypass it's just a matter of getting the right info but that info might not be easy to come by. I'd still be asking Nissan for a fix.

I agree Pete but some people like them, maybe if everyone did fit one Nissan would be forced to make a fix but while it's only a select few they figure people can like it or lump it.

The D40 has 2 ignition circuits, I would try isolating them one at a time. It could be that one is the engine run signal and the other is for body control. If that were the case then you could disconnect one (from the turbo timer only) and the engine would still run while allowing you to lock the doors as the other ignition signal is not connected. I have a viper remote start and just use that to keep the engine running if I feel guilty for driving it hard. Turbo timers have a habit of causing problems when they are wired in without taking arming of alarms or using keyless entry into account.

You can lock the doors with the motor going while your driving because you have the key in the ignition

I could be wrong but I believe that law is only in some states and in the case of Nathan's question it only pertains to stationary vehicles with the occupant outside. Suppose to stop people from walking away from their running vehicles but give that it can be done in just about every other vehicle on the road I doubt too many have ever been slugged for it.

I guess however it could be why Nissan have wired it that way (any excuse) but if it is and they refuse to fix it I'd definitely be looking at modifying the system. It can't be that hard to modify but I'd need a circuit diagram to get an idea of how things are connected.

Does it automatically lock after the turbo timer has switched off?

I hav asked around for a while and there is no quick fix for this problem, you are correct, it is only law in some states, WA allows for the vehicle to be locked but they do not make a turbo timer to suit it:pissedoff:

As for whether to fit a turbo or not....take into account that it is about $3200 from Nissan and $1600 direct from a Garrett wholesaler (plus fitting), to replace a factory Garrett turbo, these are oil and water cooled, but under extreme conditions like heavy towing (which I do a lot), as well as cooking the gaskets on one of these babies (no re-build kits available, throw away only), a turbo timer is a much cheaper way of letting the turbo cool off quite a bit while not in the drivers seat

Back