D22 STR or D40 STX

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTMID8

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post, i have been reading through this forum for a fair while now and i must say that the wealth of knowledge is amazing!!!
Im in the market to purchase a new car, looking to purchase one in about 2 months but have been looking for about 4 -5 months just to get a feel. Im coming from Commodores and this will be my first 4WD.

Firstly i have a budget between 20 - 25k, im only interested in a manual version and looking for under 150,000km on the clock. I like both the D22 and D40 but im perplexed by the massive price differences between the same vehicles. I tow a 5m fibreglass boat but thats it, i wanna get into 4wd but nothing hardcore (ie rock crawling lol)

My questions are:

1. For the same money which is the better vehicle? 2007 STR 3ltr or 2007 STX 2.5ltr?
2. Are they both as capable of road and are they similar for fuel economy?
3. Did either have any major problems?
4. In your opinion which do you believe to be the better vehicle both on and off the road?

I appreciate you all taking the time to read this and offer some advice.

Cheers :cheers!:

Ben

Both models are good. 2007 D22 will be a 2006 build as the ZD30 didn't pass the emissions in 2007. The D22 was brought back into service and started being built again in 2008.

Off road the D22 has it, On road hands down the D40 drives like a car. Fuel economy the D22's are better.

Early D40's had clutch drama's. Most of the competition had the same trouble to. Injectors can cause dramas in D40 but there not to bad. Oh and the switch's for the 4WD system.

I have a 2006 model D22 and its been a great vehicle. Standard shocks are shit, so budget for them to.

I am happy with my D22 and would buy another 2006 model if mine was written off.

Mate welcome.

I have a 09 d22 and love it. Even though you won't get one for the price your looking at. Look at the 05-06 zd30 models. Good strong motor and will give you long time of good service if its looked after. Try find one with mods done or as many mods as possible.

Good luck

Rusty

Thanks for the quick replies, i have mainly been looking at the D22 due to the budget constraints but figured if the D40 was leaps ahead then id save a bit more.

I have found some really good D22's for sale, but the most confusing aspect im finding is the price!!! They range from 18k for a high km version to 30k even for 05 - 06 models! I have access to an ABN so i cant justify spending 27k for an 06 D22 when i can buy a brand new one for 29k.

It sounds like for the money the D22 will be the better option, im being pretty picky as i intend on keeping it for a while (wifes rules lol) but im hoping for a white or silver 06/07 STR with around 100,000km on the clock for around 20k, ive seen a couple but then some are 25k - 30k for mid 100,000km versions.

Welcome to the forum.

Another consideration is cabin space. The D40 dual cab has 175mm more cabin space, which is mostly all in the back seat area. This allows for child seats to be installed with ease, and the STX should have the hooks already mounted on the wall behind the seat. The D22 will NOT take a child seat configured in a rear-facing configuration.

Welcome to the forum.

Another consideration is cabin space. The D40 dual cab has 175mm more cabin space, which is mostly all in the back seat area. This allows for child seats to be installed with ease, and the STX should have the hooks already mounted on the wall behind the seat. The D22 will NOT take a child seat configured in a rear-facing configuration.

Children are planned in the near future so it must be able to carry a baby seat! If im totally honest with myself it would be used as a daily commuter (30km round trip to work :rock:) i go away most weekends (160km up the road) i tow a 5mtr f/glass boat mainly back and forth to ramp (less than a kay but sometimes upto 20km depending were i launch) i want to be able to go 4wd (probably more touring styles like the birdsville track, along the beaches etc with some hill work) and once a year 3 - 4 of us head west to Coffin Bay for a 2wk fishing trip (1800km round trip)

I was in a similar position to you and had a budget of around 26k. In the end I couldn't say no to a brand new D22 for 29k with my ABN so I bought one in December.

I've put 10k on it so far and haven't looked back. The back seats are pretty space limited if you want to carry people but I'd make the same decision if I had it all over again.

hi ben, i have owned both D22 "06" 3lt and now a D40 ST 2.5, both are awesome utes. yes the D22 is a slightly better 4x4 and you have a few more options to modify it, eg front diff locks. it also has a better rear diff. the D40 however does have a better 1st gear in low range.

the D22 was a little better on fuel, but it did have less power.

i had safety restraint hooks installed in the D22, and i would have to do the same for my ST as it unlike the STX doesn't come standard with them. lucky for me my son is older enough now where i only need a booster so they are no longer needed.

it will really depend on what you want. if you want space then get a D40. if you want a ute with better 4x4 ability then go the D22. having said that i find my D40 is still a capable 4x4 and gets me all the same places my D22 did.

i have found my new D40 has allot nicer ride for those long trips and my kids love the extra room. it also has more standard features like cruise, bluetooth, 6 speaker sound system, steering wheel controls, abs, ect.

honestly i was happy with my D22 but the room in the back was the main reason for me buying the D40 once my D22 was written off.

i think for the money you want to spend, you will get a better D22 with less km's on the clock and maybe a few mods as well.

good luck finding your new ride.
nathan

hi and welcome
in a nutshell
d40
nice highway/touring car,all the bells and whistles, good tow vehicle,reasonable offroader,auto hubs,push button 4wd
d22
work ute,not much room in back,tows ok,rough ride(fixed with susp upgrade),very good off road, manual hubs,manual 4wd select,plenty of options for upgrades
i own a 2010 d22 and it suits my needs
the only thing i am not happy with is the very average factory suspension
two very good utes designed for different needs
good luck

Thanks everyone, it has given me alot more to think about. By the sounds of it the D40 will go where i wanna go off road, i assume it can still take normal 2" lift, snorkle etc etc which i was looking at doing plus it has the added comfort for the family. I reckon i need to have a chat with the minister of war and finances (wife) and see what she thinks. Am i dreaming to think i could find a decent STX for around the 25 - 27k mark?

Am i dreaming to think i could find a decent STX for around the 25 - 27k mark?

Sorry haven't really read the whole thread, but that kind of budget will rely on age and options. I was looking at a second hand D40 with at least a canopy, a tow bar and less than 80,000 on the clock for the old man a week or two back and they are out there but prices versus distance to each vehicle really make it hard to justify some. That doesn't take away from the current owner, the cars may be worth every cent but for me/us they really weren't when all things were considered.

Our market was possibly a bit newer than the one you are considering given your price bracket but I'd still say they are out there if you don't mind traveling.

Sorry haven't really read the whole thread, but that kind of budget will rely on age and options. I was looking at a second hand D40 with at least a canopy, a tow bar and less than 80,000 on the clock for the old man a week or two back and they are out there but prices versus distance to each vehicle really make it hard to justify some. That doesn't take away from the current owner, the cars may be worth every cent but for me/us they really weren't when all things were considered.

Our market was possibly a bit newer than the one you are considering given your price bracket but I'd still say they are out there if you don't mind traveling.

Im quite happy to travel for the right car, the Navara range has really confused me by the massive price difference amongst the same vehicles. I was looking at D22's and for almost identical cars one was 21k the other 25k, then there are low km versions for 22-23k and higher mileage are asking 25k+ it seems the extra options dont add that much to the asking value and nobody seems bothered that a brand new one is only worth 29k!

There is a D40 in vic at moment for 24k with 110,000km on clock but other similar priced versions have 200,000km+ so not sure if there is something wrong with it.

The problem with extras is they cost a fortune to put on, are worth bugger all to you when you sell and often become very valuable again when you buy already fitted to a second hand vehicle, it's ridiculous.

My old man gave up looking at second hand in the end, for his budget of $40K he ended up picking up a BT50, not my ideal choice but it suits him and I did only tell him my finance would cease if he brought a Triton so I guess I can't complain too much.

There is many reasons why a 100K vehicle could be that cheap but honestly it's not something you could pick without seeing it and possibly getting it looked at by someone like the RACV etc. Everyone has a reason for selling at the price they do it's sometimes hard to pick that reason but it doesn't mean that all cheap options are going to lead to problems. You'd have to be able to compare both pretty closely too make an accurate decision on the cars and if their k's make a difference.

service history, number of previous owners, factory options and model varients will afect the price
do your homework and dont be pressured by salesmen
good luck
PS aftermarket extended warranties are a scam stay away from them

Thanks for all the advice guys its really appreciated. I have a very close friend who works for MTQ (a diesel place) and he is a master technician (have no idea what it means but they fly him all over Australia to work on cars) who i will take with me to purchase. Im in no rush to buy so have the option to hunt around, id rather buy private as i HATE pushy sales people. I would only buy the STR or STX variants, the minimum i want is full service history less than 140,000km (but would prefer as low as i can find) and a tow bar.
Lift kits, bullbars, snorkles etc would be nice but im not against buying them myself for the right vehicle.
I would rather pay 25k for a D40 over the D22 only as i cant get over the fact i can buy a brand new D22 for 29k, however in saying that i would prefer the ZD30 over the YD25 in the D22 range.

Good luck with it all, if you know what you want, have some one to help and aren't in a rush (which you appear to have sorted) them I'm sure you'll come out a winner.

Thanks everyone, it has given me alot more to think about. By the sounds of it the D40 will go where i wanna go off road, i assume it can still take normal 2" lift, snorkle etc etc which i was looking at doing plus it has the added comfort for the family. I reckon i need to have a chat with the minister of war and finances (wife) and see what she thinks. Am i dreaming to think i could find a decent STX for around the 25 - 27k mark?

dont believe all the hype of the d22 drivers ... the d40 will go anywhere the d22's will go.

And you can do all the mod's on a D40 that the d22's can have on them - except a front diff locker. If your on a track that absolutely needs a front locker, then its probably going to scare the crap out of the family anyhow. Better to get the winch out and learn to use it. (personal opinion obviously).

I probably have one of the most modified (still street legal) D40's here on the forum. I'm game to follow any of the moded patrols and cruisers anywhere (unless the ruts are too deep and will obviously leave me stranded with only 32" tyres)

dont believe all the hype of the d22 drivers ... the d40 will go anywhere the d22's will go.

And you can do all the mod's on a D40 that the d22's can have on them - except a front diff locker. If your on a track that absolutely needs a front locker, then its probably going to scare the crap out of the family anyhow. Better to get the winch out and learn to use it. (personal opinion obviously).

I probably have one of the most modified (still street legal) D40's here on the forum. I'm game to follow any of the moded patrols and cruisers anywhere (unless the ruts are too deep and will obviously leave me stranded with only 32" tyres)

I wasnt planning on heading into anything that would require diff lockers:crazy_pilot:

My plans (which i ever i get) were pretty basic, a 2" suspension lift, better tyres, winch bar, winch and a couple of spotties, snorkle, exhuast and chip upgrade. That was it, i was thinking more touring type than hardcore 4wd as realistically it would be a 80/20 split road/offroad.

My biggest constraint is budget (isnt everyones :sarcastic:) but would be willing to wait a bit, save a bit more if the D40 was considerably a better option than the D22 and by the sounds of it it could possibly be given my plans for kids and the wifes comfort (PARAMOUNT TRUST ME!! lol)

Ignore Woody he thinks he has the only D40 that goes off road *hides in a very secretive location and waits for the barrage*

Latest posts

Back