For all you (sheet) metal heads

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My situation is that I am looking to make a hard top canopy to span between my front and rear sports bars out of sheet aluminium. Just wondering if you think it's possible to bend 2mm sheet around the radius of the sports bar sides myself by hand, and what would you suggest be the best ways to fix it down? Welding will be the strongest option, but part of me wants to make it removable if the time comes down the track. Note, it will not be covering the whole side of the ute, just coming down 100mm or so each side. Similar to the attached but covering the whole roof, and fixing to 2/genuine D22 sports bars (the rear has had the brace legs removed).

Cheers,
Guido

Attachments

• canopyframe&ladderrack.jpg
    canopyframe&ladderrack.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 334
Mate full points for having a crack but there is no way you will pull 2mm around there with your hands, even aluminium, and having it look even. Finding a set of rollers will be your best option (sorry I dont have one) it will look far better too.

Have a ring around your area to thelocal sheet metal shops and see if any have a set of rollers, If it were mine i would put a couple of folds on the bottom edge sort of like an inward facing gutter to strengthen it right up too.

You could probably just use aluminium rivets on the once they fit right, then its not a major exercise if you ever need to take them off.

You could use some thinner material say 1.2mm, do the bending around some pvc pipe then rivet on some ally extrusions to stiffen the whole thing up. Personally I'd find a local sheetmetal shop to bend it up, might cost a bit, but will look more professional.

I agree with Matt, not a chance in 2mm sheet, it will need to be rolled, even in thinner sheet using a former like some pvc pipe you will need to figure a way to fix the sheet along the edge that you are rolling, any where it lifts from the former will cause small bends between each point the sheet is fixed to the former. Find a place that does rolling, they may or may not be able to supply you the sheet to do the job as well.

Thanks for your opinions guys...it's much appreciated.

After much deliberation I have concluded that the idea of a hard top and canvas or vinyl canopy with roof rack isn't going to happen. A couple of hundred for the roof, and $1000 for the canopy. I personally would see better value spending an extra $1000 dollars to buy fibreglass from a reputable seller and have it look smicko, and lockable. Mind you, that is too much money at the moment so it's all on hold.

Cheers,
Guido

Latest posts

Back