Suspension for 2008 D22 and Control arms?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jastormont

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been studying up on the suspension for my D22 and know of the issue with fitting decent front shocks is difficult due to the factory control arms hitting many of the thicker shocks on the market.

From what I have found so far EFS and Bilstein shocks will not hit the arms but many of the others on the market do (Tough Dog, Rancho, OME) and this can limit somewhat ones options. I have been keen on Tough Dog suspension and was looking at this with the fully adjustable shocks and 2" lift but since finding out about the control arms issue this has put me off this. In the process I have been looking at the 3" lift kit from Snake Racing as it would seem that this would solve the problem other then costing more.

I was not keen on 3" lift as I am into more touring then rock climbing but thinking about it the 3" might be quite good when I think of things like creek crossings, ruts and other obstacles I have come across. The thing that puts me off 3" is possible damage to the CV's (Although I think I am a fairly smooth driver that is not rough on my equipment) and possible road legality in QLD for a 3" lift (Not sure on this would love some advice here?).

Is it possible to get the Snake racing control arms and use it on a 2" suspension kit with out it affecting camber? I have read that some have got a 3" Calmini system from the states and other kits and would just like some suggestions on other systems if possible?

I should also mention that I need load baring as I have: Steel bull bar, Winch, Black Widow draws, Canopy, toe bar, 3 X battery system, recovery gear and toeing of Jayco Hawk camper so would like feed back on what I should be looking at and would be best for my needs?

Sorry for all the questions but if I do spend around $2000 - $4000 on a suspensions system I want to make sure I do it right and legal.

Cheers,

:wavey:

Only the smaller 32mm bore EFS shocks fit, not the bigger 45mm ones.
I may be wrong, but I believe the aftermarket control arms 'allow' for a 3in lift. As far as I know they should be fine on a 2in lifted Nav. The control arms are on my wishlist.

Better off talking to someone at Superior Engineering.

Consider Koni to and Rancho.

Never dealt with Rancho personally, but heard good things about it.

Koni and Bilstien would be my first choice though.

Extended shackles are illegal..... I had EFS shocks previous and they hit the factory upper control arms as well. Yes you can just go 2" lift with UCA's, all they do is allow for longer down travel, make it easier to get the front end into alignment spec and allow you to go up a further inch if you want to.

If you're doing a lot of touring and towing I would highly recommend a "true" 3" lift in the spring so you can custom order how heavy you want the springs which will make touring a dream. I would suggest going HD springs if you're always carrying load. If you're not however and are after comfort (like I am) then go soft springs and then add some airbags so you can carry any load without ruining your springs.

I have a 3" lift from Cal Offroad Home except for the shocks which are Rancho 9000XL 9 stage fully adjustable, which rides like a dream....

I get gear from Caloffroad at trade price so I can get the below kit.

The kit includes:
RS9000XL shocks x 4
True 3" lift springs custom spec
HD upper control arms (inc ball joints)
HD Torsion bars
Bush kit
U Bolts
Pins
HD tie rod ends
Idler arm brace
Greasable shackles

$2780 + delivery------Bilstein shocks $2750------Caloffroad twin tube $2620

I haven't got my mod certificates yet as I have done a few mods recently and have a couple more coming in the next week or so. Therefore I'm waiting to get them all done at the same time to save $$. Caloffroad said they have had all there arms pass in NSW and haven't heard anything negative from other states.

thanks for the replys.

The gear from Cal Off Road looks good.

I take it there springs with their shackles are not extended and would be legal?

Can you get the HD springs in the 3" lift from them?

It looks quite good but I am just concerned that will it be legal in QLD and with the Control arms what size shock could I could use?

I am still also concerend by the how the CV's will go with a 3" lift, as I will be doing touring I do not want the damn things to cause me issues but is 3" really that bad for the CV's?

i havent heard anyone having troubles with aftermarket ucas in queensland. i will be doing them on my 09 str sometime soon and will be ordering through reggy. qld ruling is install them and get a guy to plate them and its done. i got quoted $150 to mod plate the arms so you should add that onto the cost of them. as for shocks you can still only fit the 32mm bore stuff but its plenty for the d22s. and ranchos are good shocks i will also be chanign my stuff allround to ranchos eventually.

goodluck
Rusty

Whether a lift is 3" or 2" depends on a number of things coming together and the kits are one way to do it. The same kit can give differing height to different vehicles.

But in going back to your question about fitting HD upper control arms to a two inch lift - yes you can. I have done it.

My ride is this: EFS HD rear springs. EFS HD torsion bars. OME nitro shocks. Cal Offroad UCA's. So I don't have 3" springs or extended shackles in the rear. I do have greaseable shackles - but not extended.

Front UCA's enabled the front to be lifted again slightly to level out the vehicle and I still have plenty of clearance on the bump stops.

The ride is much better and the front shocks are clear.

CV joints - my angle has increased slightly but the fitter says they should be okay just keep an eye on them - he was not keen on going any higher even though I certainly could. But no doubt you will get differing opinions on the Q about cv's.

Have a look at my ride thread and garage for pics.

I have only had my kit on for a short while so I can't comment on longevity of the CV's with a 3'' lift.... There are guys on here that have had 3'' for a while and I haven't heard anything negative from them.... Not saying there isn't as they might not be speaking up.

Yes the 3'' lift is in the spring and there are no extended shackles(just new greasable shackles) and you can customize the rating so yes you can get HD.

As Rusty said in regards to legality - after you fit the gear, book it into a engineer for around $120-$160 and get the lift and arms approved.

As for the shocks, both the EFS and Rancho shocks clear the HD UCA's by a fair bit so you wouldn't have any dramas there. I think there are some photos on here of the UCA's and large bore shocks fitted (try a search).

So getting either snake racing's or Cal Offroading UCA will ot allow me to fit thicker shocks?

If this is the case and you only go 2" what is the point? I have read of only 2 shocks that do not rub the factory UCA's and these are Bilstein and EFS is this the case?

If this is correct I might as well just go Bilstein and get some good springs or am I missing something here?

As I stated earlier fitting UCA's allows you to fit bigger bore shocks as the clearance is much larger! If you don't fit the UCA's which many haven't, you have to grind a small section out of the factory UCA's.

I have only had my kit on for a short while so I can't comment on longevity of the CV's with a 3'' lift.... There are guys on here that have had 3'' for a while and I haven't heard anything negative from them.... Not saying there isn't as they might not be speaking up.

Yes the 3'' lift is in the spring and there are no extended shackles(just new greasable shackles) and you can customize the rating so yes you can get HD.

As Rusty said in regards to legality - after you fit the gear, book it into a engineer for around $120-$160 and get the lift and arms approved.

As for the shocks, both the EFS and Rancho shocks clear the HD UCA's by a fair bit so you wouldn't have any dramas there. I think there are some photos on here of the UCA's and large bore shocks fitted (try a search).

I must be honest the more I think of 3" the more I would like to go this way as I am seeing more advantage then disadvantage. I would have to just find a good engineer here in Brisbane to get this approved. Did you fit the 3" kit yourself and if so is it hard to do compared to a 2"?

the reg's in Qld are difficult to follow. A while back I saw on TMR website link that said anything abbove 2" lift was illegal (requiring certification from TMR inspectors). Now, the Mod's document lists that suspension lifts are OK so long as the distance between the bump stops has not decreased by more than 1/3 the factory distance (p5 of this link)
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/c...8b20842f/pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf

Now, in my mind, putting in after market suspension will decrease this distance - but if you're swapping control arms as well, then you prob gonna find they have a different clearance rate, so they prob equal out, or close to the 1/3 distance mentioned.

If thats the case, then I don't think you need engineering as you meet their spec's. If you are really concerned, call TMR ph3114 5844 and ask them. They don't need your personal info, but I'd certainly reference that p5 of their booklet and see what they say. If they say do it, then get it inspected, that will cost $63.50.

If that confused ya, shoot me a PM :) cheers mate

the reg's in Qld are difficult to follow. A while back I saw on TMR website link that said anything abbove 2" lift was illegal (requiring certification from TMR inspectors). Now, the Mod's document lists that suspension lifts are OK so long as the distance between the bump stops has not decreased by more than 1/3 the factory distance (p5 of this link)
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/c...8b20842f/pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf

Now, in my mind, putting in after market suspension will decrease this distance - but if you're swapping control arms as well, then you prob gonna find they have a different clearance rate, so they prob equal out, or close to the 1/3 distance mentioned.

If thats the case, then I don't think you need engineering as you meet their spec's. If you are really concerned, call TMR ph3114 5844 and ask them. They don't need your personal info, but I'd certainly reference that p5 of their booklet and see what they say. If they say do it, then get it inspected, that will cost $63.50.

If that confused ya, shoot me a PM :) cheers mate

Thanks for that ljacko78 that clears a lot up in my head about this.

So I have decided I will get new arms even if I go with 2" setup reading what Ridgie said it will help and I want to do this right.

I am still keen on a possible 3" lift as I do not think it will cost me much more but from reading the TMR Snakes Racing product is not fit for use on QLD Roads as it uses Extended Shakles so it is a no go. I have been looking at Cal Off Road 3" kit and like the look of this with either Bilstein, Tough Dog Adjustable or Rancho Adjustable but would like to buy from QLD and from a place that could fit it.

If I go this way I will get a Engineers Cert so I will have to find one in Brisbane can anyone suggest one?

Do you guys know if Zordo's 4WD Suspension does Controller arms?

I'm not sure whether zordo does them. You could always purchase them and see if he will fit them for a fee. From what I hear is they are not hard to install at all. Just gotta watch the lower ARM when separating from upper arm. With the shock hooked to it it tends to just go full extension and take out everything on the way down. Save the coin and DIY. I'm hanging out for mine.1"bodylift on its way soon and canopy then chip and uca

Well I have gone with a standard 40mm tough dog kit with the hd springs and adjustable rear shocks. They do a smaller front shock I have been told for the navaras and hi-luxe so see how we go first with the standard control arms. They have told me as long as I stay at 40mm at the fromt I should be right.

Got the Tough Dog installed today by Opposite Lock and they seem to of done a really good job. I will take some pics this weekend but they seem to of done every thing I wanted and it is sitting about 40mm higher (I measured it ;) ). Got to take it back to them in 500Km's for a free check where they will adjust anything if needed what I thought was good as most places I went to did not do this.

Latest posts

Back