D40 Roof lining STX

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david m

Reaction score
Has anybody taken out the roof lining of a twin cab before, the wiring for the rear interior lite is laying on the the lining and rattles something bad when you close the doors or going over bumps. I have taken the lite out and when you move the wiring you can here it sitting on the lining. Love the car but fixing rattles is becoming a hobby. Cheers

I went through a similar dilemma only two weeks ago, do I pull down the roof lining and make it easier to access the wiring for the roof console or do I make do, and to be honest it was seriously easier to make do.

You need to remove all the items screwed to the door trims, things like panic straps etc (and the door rubbers) and gently pry the lining away. It is doable but given that there is backing foam which keeps the roof lining from rattling on roof it doesn't just fold down out of the way like older cars used to. If it were me I'd leave the light out and get a passenger to play with the cable as your driving to try and find it's original location rather than pulling the lining down.

I'm surprised it's come away from it's original location which will no doubt be between two lumps of foam. Going by what I saw there is nothing strategic about how they run it, it's not a straight line but it's not clipped in and tied all the way either.

Good luck, it's not a hard job but the potential to leave a bend in the lining where you don't want it is there and I know that from experience.

Hey David m, If you really wanna persist. I have a workshop manual that was gifted to me I am willing to share. Looked that section up and it is included.

Oh yeah I read that too before I did the console, it's not too bad with it's description but it's not really as easy to follow when your doing the job. I actually had better luck doing it by trial and error. However the manual which is still downloadable from this site as far as I am aware is worth having for so many other things.

Mmm, have to agree. I tried the RHS wing mirror removal instructions. CHEEEEX!!! Oooops.

If you're doing wiring also don't expect to follow the colour coding in the manual. I've found so many colours wrong it's not funny. On the plus side though the cable locations are all fairly accurate.

Thanks all, sounds like i could create a bigger headache for myself by trying to lower the lining. Bending and cracking the lining just don't appeal to me. Think i will leave well enough alone and turn up the radio.
Cheers & Beers :cheers!:

I didn't go that far when I had mine apart and I can't be bothered reading the manual right now so...where does the rear light power come from?

I suspect from what I saw of mine it comes off the same wiring loom as the front roof lights given that they operate in the same manner. If this is the case what I would do is remove the passenger side panic strap, remove the door seal and gently leaver the roof panel down enough to get your hand up and over the bend of the lining. The cable should be somewhere between the top of the A pillar and the panic strap (it comes up the A pillar).

With someone else helping you hold one end and they hold the end at the rear light (light removed of course) and gently pull against each other creating a tight cable, you might be able to feel the cable moving back into it's original location.

With and extra 2 mins work you could also remove the front light housing (it's held in by clips) and also apply pressure to the cable for that light which give you a three way pull. It's not a certain way to fix the problem and Nissan don't run the cable exactly straight from what I can see but this might just help you re-locate the entire cable run and not just the few inches you can reach by sticking your fingers in the holes.

Of course don't yank the cable just use gentle pressure and always pull the cable and not the plugs. There should be enough slack to allow you to disconnect each light and still pull out enough cable to grab before the plug/socket.

ok so that wont work unless you have a live email account, the word file is too big to post up, ill try something else

Make it two smaller word files that fit into the size limit?
Convert it to PDF?
How big can the word file be given the manual can do it in two in about 2 PDF pages or something?

ok so i converted it to a pdf and its 23 pages and still too big, ill see what i can do tomorrow or ill email it to some one thats more computer savy than me

23 pages to remove the roof lining? It's 4 screws a side and 2 door rubbers to gain access and gently pull away. The only thing you need to be careful of is not bending it in the wrong spots and damaging it. It's not difficult, just something that takes time and patience.

You really have me intrigued about what it takes 23 pages to explain.

Without knowing the size I'd say your best bet is to save the Word file into separate parts, maybe 5 pages at a time all with different names.

23 pages to remove the roof lining? It's 4 screws a side and 2 door rubbers to gain access and gently pull away. The only thing you need to be careful of is not bending it in the wrong spots and damaging it. It's not difficult, just something that takes time and patience.

You really have me intrigued about what it takes 23 pages to explain.

Without knowing the size I'd say your best bet is to save the Word file into separate parts, maybe 5 pages at a time all with different names.

its full of photos, seen as how your the computer guru can i send it to you, pm me your email address and ill forward it on, ill stick to fixing engines, easier than this computer caper!!!!

You'd have to tell me the file size first, I've turned off large file receiving on my email servers.

Bloody hell!!!!!!!! Outback roof consoles should have a look at a few photos from this file and add them to their bullshit instructions for fitting a roof console to a D40.

Ok the file is written with quite large images. If it's acceptable what I might do is pull the applicable images for removing the roof lining and post them here, then figure out the best way of putting the entire document up as it's own thread for installing roof bars, give that this doco has a lot more in it than just removing the roof lining and this thread was about tracing the wire to the lights.

Wotcha reckon?

Back