Which vehicle should RLI buy next?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLI

Reaction score
G,day folks,

I am in a bit of a dilemma at the present. I am going to sell my manual D40 as i am not confident with the strength of the clutch. I changed the clutch from the poxy dual mass to a single mass with every duty set-up. However, my wife has difficulties driving the car as it is difficult to engage both first and reverse gears especially towing and reversing the caravan. To be honest, i find it difficult at times to engage both gears.

The question is, do I buy a D40 auto or do I buy another 4.2 turbo diesel GU Patrol.

I am interested in your thought!

Regards,

RLI
:thank_you2:

The 4.2 factory turbo-diesel patrol is one of the best 4 wheel drive wagons ever made but good ones are increasingly rare and expensive. Given the price premium that good ones (even high mileage straight ones) are now commanding I don't see them as being good value for money compared to more modern vehicles.

*puts accountants hat on*

However because they are holding their value well depreciation is also low (maybe non-existent) and that means you could buy one, keep it for a few years and not lose much money when you sold it (as long as you looked after it).

The key would be finding a very clean and fairly low kilometers one to buy and they are increasingly like hens teeth, I looked for ages and every one I came across had more than 200,000 kms and most were over 300,000kms.

But if you can find that elusive one owner, driven only to church on sundays, never been off road, 100000kms 4.2 factory turbo diesel Patrol Wagon then don't buy it (tell me instead so I can buy it) :sarcastic:

Personally I think the TD42 is the most overated engine of all time. Followed by the 6.5L V8 Chev diesel.

550 D40 or get a GU converted with a Duramax or 6BT Cummins.

Whats the budget ?

I'm biased. The ute means I'm not breathing the air that the load of chicken manure I'm hauling is in. It means I can have spare fuel, my generator, chainsaw etc etc and never once have the fumes bother me.

That said, the D40 probably isn't as "off-road" as the Patrol. I think they have similar towing capacities.

You have a D40 already, and know its capabilities. If you're happy with the D40 off-road, then the difference is down to a brand new D40 with warranty versus an old and possibly unwarranted (eg private sale) Patrol.

Whether you get the 4-cyl 2.5L or the V6 diesel or petrol is up to you. I was all nice and eager to go the 550, but with the turbo sitting up between the V and an enormous amount of heat being generated, I'm a little concerned about it and might wait for the next version to see if that improves.

I go out with a guy with a fully kitted out GU 4.2 and it's so damn heavy i can't believe that my little ole nav with a lift and muddy's crawls through things that he has to winch out of. I have even seen him winch himself downhill at warby haha

In saying that it's a dream to drive on the tarmac. also it's an 06 with 75k's on the clock

Personally I think the TD42 is the most overated engine of all time. Followed by the 6.5L V8 Chev diesel.

550 D40 or get a GU converted with a Duramax or 6BT Cummins.

Whats the budget ?

G,day Dave,

Can you provide me with info on both the Duramax and 6BT Cummins engines as i am not familiar with them.

Regards,

RLI
:cheers!:

I'm biased. The ute means I'm not breathing the air that the load of chicken manure I'm hauling is in. It means I can have spare fuel, my generator, chainsaw etc etc and never once have the fumes bother me.

That said, the D40 probably isn't as "off-road" as the Patrol. I think they have similar towing capacities.

You have a D40 already, and know its capabilities. If you're happy with the D40 off-road, then the difference is down to a brand new D40 with warranty versus an old and possibly unwarranted (eg private sale) Patrol.

Whether you get the 4-cyl 2.5L or the V6 diesel or petrol is up to you. I was all nice and eager to go the 550, but with the turbo sitting up between the V and an enormous amount of heat being generated, I'm a little concerned about it and might wait for the next version to see if that improves.

G,day young Tony!

Once again thanks for your un-biased comments mate. My wife and I are looking forward to catching up with you and your wife on the Coopernook trip. I am starting to lean more to purchasing an auto-D40, if I can nail the right one, preferably a silver one!

The one benefit I have with the current manual D40, is that I have over $15,000.00 worth of accessories that I could easily transfer from my current manual D40 to the auto D40.

Just a thought!

Regards,

RLI
:idea:

G,day folks,

I have just bought a repo 2002 GU Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo diesel with 140,000ks from a finance company in Victoria for $21,500.00. It has bull bar,winch, ARB full lenght roof-rack, rear bar, compressor, uhf radio, dual batteries, IPF driving lights, elec brake controler. The vehicle is in excellent condition. Time to turn this into another RLI off-road tourer!

I am sorry to advise that i will be now selling my D40.

PS, I have stayed loyal to the Nissan brand!

Regards,

RLI

:rock:

Nice pick-up - hope it ticks all the boxes for you. Still think you should've got a D22 though :sarcastic:

I think the new com/rail engines both Toyota and Nissan are just junk too sensitive and can't handle the harsh aussie out doors

Hope this doesn't turn into "the nightmare" episode 2

Hi Biscuits it’s funny that you should say that, I did sink a 1996 GQ 4.2 petrol in 2000 on Morton Island, whilst crossing Dog Creek. That's another future story for the forum!
Regards,

RLI
:rock:

Latest posts

Back