my car is a little challenged?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohan93

Reaction score
hey all i think my car is a bit tapped, its a tad slow in the dash department, the tacho is laggy and speedo even laggyer, haha im too tired to think of proper words, but yeah the speedo is very laggy as in ill reach 3000 rpm, in 5th gear, being aprox 100kms, but the speedo will get to 80 kms in a laggy fashion and then 80-100kms, takes well over 10 seconds, it doesnt shake or shudder just laggy, also i think the whole dash is laggy, cos the fuel gauge is really slow to move when going round corners and stuff, ill turn a corner and when driving straight it will slowly go up then back down to where it is -,- the temp gauge im not sure of but i think its laggy or i ned a new thermostat, any one know what or why this could be?,
any help is appreciated

it is a D21 with a TD27, seems to be a legit conversion, all there

thanks peoples

Fuel gauge sounds pretty normal, it's designed to be slow and damped. With the speedo and tachometer - are the needles touching the gauge face at the tip at all?

Fuel gauge sounds pretty normal, it's designed to be slow and damped. With the speedo and tachometer - are the needles touching the gauge face at the tip at all?

nah the tip of the tacho was broken but i glued it the other day, carefully too :D, but they are straight enough and still look ok, i think it could be the motor or sensor

Just thinking - the speedo works on a cable from the transfer case directly to the speedo mechanism. Movement of the speedo depends on speed of cable. There msut be some sort of friction connection or bushes in there. I don't think it's electric anyway. Possibly just getting old? How many ks has the old girl done?
Tacho should be fairly good. Works off the alternator or fuel pump in the diesel.

As said, fuel gauge is normal. Temp gauge should be rock steady, otherwise there's a fault in the cooling system.

Just a thought, have you put a voltmeter across the battery while the engine is running and revved it? Check the regulator is working ok. Dodgy regulator in the alternator could cause overvoltage and would screw with some of the electric gauges potentially. Unlikely, but easy to check.

I believe the speedo is like a magnetic system where the spinning cable drags the needle around the gauge with magnets pulling against a calibrated clock spring. There is definitely potential for that to wear and jam - the tachometer makes less sense. Do your basic checks - relevant wiring is solid, voltage is steady as Pinelli suggested etc. On the TD27T the engine speed sensor is in the fuel pump.

My speedometer gauge is a bit the opposite - it waggles about 2km/h back and forth constantly, but doesn't bother me much.

The TD27's aren't a powerhouse, sure its just not normal.
i was more reffering to the motor behing the speedo, lol but im still thinking about my falcon, all electronic dash haha

Just thinking - the speedo works on a cable from the transfer case directly to the speedo mechanism. Movement of the speedo depends on speed of cable. There msut be some sort of friction connection or bushes in there. I don't think it's electric anyway. Possibly just getting old? How many ks has the old girl done?
Tacho should be fairly good. Works off the alternator or fuel pump in the diesel.

As said, fuel gauge is normal. Temp gauge should be rock steady, otherwise there's a fault in the cooling system.

Just a thought, have you put a voltmeter across the battery while the engine is running and revved it? Check the regulator is working ok. Dodgy regulator in the alternator could cause overvoltage and would screw with some of the electric gauges potentially. Unlikely, but easy to check.
im thinking, that been said, it could be frayed or sumthing and after a certain rpm or speed range its causing too much drag???
shes done 360'000 as of last week

I believe the speedo is like a magnetic system where the spinning cable drags the needle around the gauge with magnets pulling against a calibrated clock spring. There is definitely potential for that to wear and jam - the tachometer makes less sense. Do your basic checks - relevant wiring is solid, voltage is steady as Pinelli suggested etc. On the TD27T the engine speed sensor is in the fuel pump.

My speedometer gauge is a bit the opposite - it waggles about 2km/h back and forth constantly, but doesn't bother me much.
it made no sense to me just then but im tired as, i will recheck this in the morning and try it out, haha, sorry for my ignorance and tiredness, but i will defs check it out tomoz

thanks all

Latest posts

Back