Reverse Cameras... which one & where did you locate it???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cleasc

Reaction score
After getting the canopy installed and realising the visibility out back is all but gone, I've decided that I need a reverse camera asap.

So what have people used and where have you located them???

Mine came with the GPS and was mounted above the tailgate on the canopy

I've got a D40 but that doesn't matter much when it comes to camera's.

I brought a cheap $110 ebay job from Hong Kong with a 7 inch display. Display is nothing brilliant but when your looking at what's behind you high def is not really something that is needed. The screens can now be brought for about $70 and the cameras for $15 so they are bargain priced.

I mounted my camera on a little bracket that hangs down from the top of the canopy window, it opens with the canopy to keep it out of the way when your loading and it can be angled down to within about 3 inches of the towbar but I don't use it for finding the towbar so it's usually a bit higher than that.

I'm actually going to buy another camera soon which I will hook up through the trailer plug (i.e. switched but only works while the trailer plug is connected) which I will connect to the second AV of the screen and be permanently on whenever I'm towing so I can easily see the trailer and it's load.

Screen mounting spot will be different in a D22 but for the record mine is in front of the gear stick and it's standby power comes from the second battery.

My head unit already has the capability to plugin a camera, I was just worried about the $15 el' cheapo cameras on eBay...

I'll sell you one for $150 will that make you feel better?

Price isn't everything, mine works in the dark, in the rain and even with the rear window covered in dust and dirt as it is most of the time. It might only be good for 680 res but who needs any better, even if the screens are high def you are glancing at the screen or at best looking at it for a few seconds at a time. You should never rely on a reversing screen 100% of the time to reverse because you will become complacent, there is no substitute for learning to use and rely on your mirrors.

I'm in the same boat but my canopy has not been installed yet. I know when it goes on the wife will start complaining etc. I am looking at the clip over mirror ones and sticking the xamera just below the spare wheel hole in the tub under the tailgate. Or even up top of numberplate in same location. I don't know bout canopy spots until I see mine on the car.

screen wise, bigger is better.
better to have the camera on whenever the engine is on and have the screen switch on when in reverse.

cameras, CCD are generally better. most cheap CMOS tend to be poor in changeable light or low light unless IR lamp is turned on.
size of sensor, bigger is better as they gather more light. typically either 1/4" or 1/3".
high resolution has the drawback of requiring more light so low res can actually be better.

the good ones are usually lower noise (most noticeable in poor light), have other features and are adjustable. best ones have power regulators built in. cameras need steady 12v for best quality, the 12-14v car power causes a loss in quality.

screen wise, bigger is better.
better to have the camera on whenever the engine is on and have the screen switch on when in reverse.

cameras, CCD are generally better. most cheap CMOS tend to be poor in changeable light or low light unless IR lamp is turned on.
size of sensor, bigger is better as they gather more light. typically either 1/4" or 1/3".
high resolution has the drawback of requiring more light so low res can actually be better.

the good ones are usually lower noise (most noticeable in poor light), have other features and are adjustable. best ones have power regulators built in. cameras need steady 12v for best quality, the 12-14v car power causes a loss in quality.

Just what I was after... legend!!!
Off to eBay I go.

i forgot a bit.

lenses.
most have wide angle lens which makes seeing something withen a few meters nice and easy. but anything further away can be very hard to see.
some truck ones come with narrow lens, you don't have much side view with them but you see distance better, good enough that you can drive in reverse by watching the screen.

i use narrow lens and with IR i can back into the dark workshop that you can't see into.

edit: if you can find one, afford one, get IR corrected lens. that stops the blurriness when the IR kicks in.

Back