Engaging reverse.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestCity

Reaction score
Hey all, A bit of a stupid question but one that has been bugging me.
I have found with my 2011 D22 that the vehicle has to be 100% stationary before it will let me engage REVERSE with the cluth fully engaged.
Even if its rolling forward or backwards a bit it will grind the gear.
Is this normal for everyone else?
I drive a few manual vehicles and they all seem to engage fine if the vehicle is rolling but not my nav.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure I understand the problem here. "Neutral" in a manual gearbox is all that space between the gears. You put the car in first, start moving, depress the clutch and pull the lever back, it has to pass through neutral to get into second.

Are you saying that your gearbox crunches for EVERY gear change?

If it's making noise while trying to hold the lever in the middle of the 'H' pattern, then it may be an alignment problem in the selector arms inside the box.

Whichever way it goes, it's off to Mr Nissan. Definitely a warranty thing.

Ahh that's more easily explained!

In my old Volkswagens there was no syncro on reverse or first gear. To put it in either, the output shaft (meaning the wheels!) had to be stopped.

It sounds then like your gearbox either doesn't have syncro for reverse, or it has it and there's a fault. Not having a manual (or a D22) I can't say whether or not yours should have syncro for reverse gear.

i don't know of any car that has a syncro on the reverse. i would imagen thats a safety feature so driver don't accidentally hit reverse while going forwards at speed.
every vehicle i've ever driven had to be stopped to get into reverse.

it may be a bit easier/smoother to get into reverse depending on what the gearbox oil is like.

Most other vehicles alow you to engage reverse whilst still rolling a bit but my vehicle you have to be 100% stopped strange

Most other vehicles alow you to engage reverse whilst still rolling a bit but my vehicle you have to be 100% stopped strange

trouble here is a "bit" is somewhat subjective. your little bit could be my non-existent or even the total opposite.

best thing to do would be to test drive another ute and see if its the same.
it may simply be the gearbox is a little clunkier than what your used to or there may be a problem, ie gearbox oil.

4wd navaras dont have a syncro on reverse, i think the 2wd gearboxs do.

My D40 must do, as I can select reverse on the roll.

I would have thought most modern 4wd's would have it, not so much for selecting reverse whilst rolling forward, but for assisting the shuffle from 1st, reverse, 1st , reverse, when rocking out of stuck position.

Every 4wd I have had in recent years has had this ability, but only from a very slow speed (slower than walking) and only when the gearbox is warm.

Mine wont go into reverse rolling backwards, every other car ive had does but not the nav.

@ OP.

It could be that your clutch is dragging a little bit, I would bleed the clutch hydraulics and ensure the pedal is adjusted properly. You could also try changing the gear oil.

Latest posts

Back