DIY headlight restoration kit.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett 76

Reaction score
Hi guys, Just finished restoring my headlights as they had scratching and a general shitty milky/foggy appearance and thought i would post up the before and after shots.

Used a product i purchased from Repco for $50, I honestly didn't know how well it would all go but the difference is amazing.

repairkit.jpg

The box comes with all instructions, wet n dry sand paper, polish and UV protective coating and were pretty straight forward and easy to read.

I did both of my headlights in roughly 1 hour.

Firstly i taped around my headlights as paint and sand paper don't mix. You can't really see how bad the headlights were on my iphone, but they looked shitty.

2.jpg

Following washing the light i was up to giving it a sand and polish. The kit comes with 400, 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000 grade paper. I started on the 600 and went up in stages. I would recommend changing direction of sanding at each interval, so sand horizontally, then vertically on next grade. I also soaked my paper in water for roughly 30 seconds before using it as well and each time i changed grade i put fresh soaking water in the bucket.

After sanding and drying the lights

3.jpg

31-1.jpg

DIY headlight restoration kit continued

After sanding, you have to polish the lights. Put some elbow grease into it to get the best results.

After polishing the lights i put the UV protective coating on, I would recommend using gloves provided as it is sticky shit :)

And the finished results. They speak for themselves.

finished2.jpg

finished.jpg

Hope you like the write up, You can obviously do this without spending so much coin on a kit like using mothers headlight polish or something similar but you wouldn't have the UV coating. This way i shouldn't have to re polish the lights every time i wash the car.

Brett

We used brasso and elbow grease back in the day for Perspex. Put a little dish washing liquid in the water too for your sandpaper.
Nice job

Last edited:
Nice work Brett.

Came up great, didn't even know there was such a product on the market.

Nice work Brett.

Came up great, didn't even know there was such a product on the market.

Hey mate, thanks.

Yeh i was amazed that when i actually looked, all the big name brands have products out for headlights. Turtle wax, Meguiar's and 3M are all meant to be good.

But as i said before, they don't include the "protective" coating so you have to re polish the lights each wash (not that it's a bad thing). Guess i will wait and see how the lights come up after a few washes.

Brett

Hey mate, thanks.

Yeh i was amazed that when i actually looked, all the big name brands have products out for headlights. Turtle wax, Meguiar's and 3M are all meant to be good.

But as i said before, they don't include the "protective" coating so you have to re polish the lights each wash (not that it's a bad thing). Guess i will wait and see how the lights come up after a few washes.

Brett

how did they come up after a few washes mate?
where can you get this and how much?

looking good mate!!

One of mine was a bit shitty looking so the other day after polishing the bullbar i hit it with a bit of the autosol i was using and it came up looking pretty good.

bryan

Back