Rear axle assembly replacement

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demon

Reaction score
I have a stx 550Navara and have had the rear axle seal replaced twice and still have problems with the seal leaking so back to Nissan who tell me that it is the inner seal that is leaking and the whole axle assembly requires replacing. total quote including rear drum brakes and labour was $2900 and I've got them down to $2100. To me this still seems excessive, just wondering what others have been paying for this.

i would be doing the job myself, stuff paying that much money for such a simple job. the seals are easy to replace after the axle is removed.

Apparently if the inner seal is gone than you have to replace the whole axle assembly.

What the nissan service guys told me, and have read this elsewhere. Why they would design it this way beats me.

i don,t beleive that you have to replace all this cause a seal goes. Nissan will tell you anything sometimes to get you inas they just like to replace the whole assembly and not just the needed parts. get a quote from an independant mechanical workshop and see wht they say.
i did a quick google and apparently you can replace both seals on there own.

Hey fellas, Interested in how this all turned out as have just found a puddle of diff oil in my rear rim of the 550. Axles are out but need to press the ABS ring and the chamfered collar off before I can replace the outer seal. ABS ring was tight but eventually popped but the collar is proving a bit more of a challenge. Anybody succeeded in changing the outer seal without a) assuming the position with Nissan or b)not destroying the collar...

CIA

Yeah thats on the cards next. Had a heat gun on it today but no joy... might have to step it up a bit and fire up the gas tomorrow. Otherwise a nice bead of weld around the collar and suck it up and grab a full kit.
Will see how the heat goes tomorrow.

On another note, are they an oil filled hub or greased bearing do you know? I didn't have a speck of grease left anywhere so either the oil has diluted it or its an oil filled hub..... so why have an inner seal?

rear axle bearings were allways fed by the diff oil but these days i wouldn,t be surprised they are sealed bearings . if you have a look at the bearing take note if you can see the balls in the bearing housing [ called open bearing ] if you can its an oil fed bearing , if its got a seal on the inner [ diff side ] its a sealed bearing.

Latest posts

Back