Gauge recommendations and priority gauges

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benengel

Reaction score
Hello!
I have been looking for gauges over the last few months and I personally feel that the most Imporant are egt, water and oil pressure ?
I can't find anything decent in nz :/
How ever I have found these from aus which are 2 in 1 gauge
First is boost/ egts and second is oil pressure and water temp

Please check the link not just these are good etc. Or poat a link to what you use etx

I have a 2011 d22 with a Yd25

https://www.autobox.com.au/saas-pillar-gauge-2in1-gauge-navara-d22

Boost an egt are handy. I have auto meter gauges.

An obdii scan tool comes in handy, and can tell you water temp and a few other things.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

I don’t have any gauges nor ever felt the need apart from two. Egt’s are important if you tow a good size load and is a low coolant alarm. By the time the needle hits maximum your donk is cooked. Oil pressure is fairly well taken care of on the instrument cluster but it’s not easy to see if something has failed. I guess what you tow and what modifications you have done determines what you need.

Boost an egt are handy. I have auto meter gauges.

An obdii scan tool comes in handy, and can tell you water temp and a few other things.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Hey, is the obdii scan tool like a gauge while driving? Or for like a check up?

I don’t have any gauges nor ever felt the need apart from two. Egt’s are important if you tow a good size load and is a low coolant alarm. By the time the needle hits maximum your donk is cooked. Oil pressure is fairly well taken care of on the instrument cluster but it’s not easy to see if something has failed. I guess what you tow and what modifications you have done determines what you need.

Hey, yeah I don't do much towing to say! But I do normally have 2-3 bikes on the back and alot of up hill over taking and mud bogging.
Was thinking the egt would give just a good idea of what a happening in the engine etc?

Probably won't have a need for towing a lot in nz, but egts still get surprisingly high when not towing. I have a triple gauge pod in mine, boost, egt and oil pressure. I used to have just boost and egt in a double pod, but recently got a new triple pod and oil pressure gauge too.

Boost and egt are autometer and have always been good. The oil pressure is a saas one and when the temperature is warm and the motor is shut off, the gauge sticks on 0 for quite a while. You need to press the button to change the backlogged colour and eventually it will come to life. Works well when it is working, comparable to pressures I have seen mentioned on the forum. I am thinking of replacing this with another autometer one, just trying to justify the cost difference.

An obd2 adaptor and torque app on an Android phone gives you quite a lot of information. The ecu doesn't report oil pressure or exhaust temp though, so you need gauges for that. It also doesn't have an actual boost sensor, so you won't get an accurate boost reading from the torque app. Other things though, like coolant temp, intake temp, etc work well. As does fuel rail pressure, fuel rate, etc. I have these all set up on mine as well as the gauges and find it a good combination.

The 2011 D22 should talk OBD2 properly. Get a $5 ELM327 Bluetooth OBD adapter, an Android phone and a $5 app called Torque from the Android store and have any gauge you want.

Oh you need a decent phone cradle and power for the phone. I've done this for years now. If you can get a decent Android head unit with BT you can do the same thing and not have to remember to stick your phone up on the windscreen.

Few pics. Gauges and torque gauges that I have bee using
b7bddd318c784f11a00ac715ed2d61bf.jpg
bc553bfbae0996ccf3b9ba1d1960f533.jpg
fe4fdb7123c1e5e4e45ac3806020e140.jpg

Probably won't have a need for towing a lot in nz, but egts still get surprisingly high when not towing. I have a triple gauge pod in mine, boost, egt and oil pressure. I used to have just boost and egt in a double pod, but recently got a new triple pod and oil pressure gauge too.

Hey Bods where did you get the triple pod for your A pillar? Looks good. Actually a double pod would be good too....

Just off eBay. Still got the old double one. Nothing wrong with it, just wanted the extra gauge so got the triple one.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

that`s neat chops! one guage and step from egt to boost to oil pressure to etc, nice (((-;

Few pics. Gauges and torque gauges that I have bee using
b7bddd318c784f11a00ac715ed2d61bf.jpg
bc553bfbae0996ccf3b9ba1d1960f533.jpg
fe4fdb7123c1e5e4e45ac3806020e140.jpg

Hey bods, I really like the triple pod set up. Do you find it obstructs your view much ?
I quite like the obd2 shows you quite a bit if information ! The fuel economy is quite handy aswell! Do you know if this all still worka with a switch in?

:saberfighting:

Boost and egt are autometer and have always been good. The oil pressure is a saas one and when the temperature is warm and the motor is shut off, the gauge sticks on 0 for quite a while. You need to press the button to change the backlogged colour and eventually it will come to life. Works well when it is working, comparable to pressures I have seen mentioned on the forum. I am thinking of replacing this with another autometer one, just trying to justify the cost difference.

An obd2 adaptor and torque app on an Android phone gives you quite a lot of information. The ecu doesn't report oil pressure or exhaust temp though, so you need gauges for that. It also doesn't have an actual boost sensor, so you won't get an accurate boost reading from the torque app. Other things though, like coolant temp, intake temp, etc work well. As does fuel rail pressure, fuel rate, etc. I have these all set up on mine as well as the gauges and find it a good combination.

Hey that's a bugger to hear about the Saas gauge! Nearly makes it useless in a sense... do you knoq if that's a common problem or a unlikely batch?

that`s neat chops! one guage and step from egt to boost to oil pressure to etc, nice (((-;

Nah, its one gauge one sensor unfortunately. Although you could use multiple sensors of the same type, eg multiple temp sensors on one and multiple pressure sensors on the other via a switch i guess.

Hey bods, I really like the triple pod set up. Do you find it obstructs your view much ?
I quite like the obd2 shows you quite a bit if information ! The fuel economy is quite handy aswell! Do you know if this all still worka with a switch in?

Nah, the pod is good, doesn't obstruct any more than the snorkel on the other side. The only downside I find is the angle the gauges are on. The top one is OK, the second and third ones aren't really angled up enough for the seating position in the d22. Then again, I am fairly tall so that could have something to do with it.

I don't really know what you mean by that last bit. There are more sensors you can choose from, they are just the ones I wanted. There is a massive list to choose from. I just have a cheap $5 Bluetooth odb2 adaptor that I leave plugged in all the time. Never had a problem with it.

:saberfighting:

Hey that's a bugger to hear about the Saas gauge! Nearly makes it useless in a sense... do you knoq if that's a common problem or a unlikely batch?

Not sure. It is only when it is really hot. When the weather is cooler or after going for a drive and getting back in not long after stopping it is fine. Not sure what it's deal is, but I'm pretty sure they are a deleted line, so don't like my chances of getting a replacement haha

Gotta go with autometer liquid filled gauges i reckon

I know they cost a bit more but you the set the little buggers up and they just work perfectly for ever

Latest posts

Back