ZD30 loss of power up hill

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

someguy360

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've had my ZD30 Navara (180,000km) for around 5 months now and am loving it, it's by far the most reliable daily i've owned and is my first experience with Diesels.

I've noticed over the past few weeks my Navara is struggling a little going up hills, I used to be able to take the freeway home (which is on an incline) at 90-100km in 5th and it would pull. However now I'm finding I'm struggling to get over 70-80 in 5th and am having to drop to 4th and load the engine up. I also towed a boat (around 950kg with trailer) up to our shack a few weeks back and seemed to struggle to do 100 on flat ground once again without dropping it to 4th and loading it up to around 3400rpm.

I've chucked a boost gauge on it and it seems to be maxing out at around 12.5PSI (not sure what these are meant to pull under load).

Anyone got any ideas on what I should be checking?

(I've changed the air filter and fuel filter which seems to have made a little difference but not much).

The only mods on the vehicle I am aware of is a EGR Blank + Butterfly/swirl mod and a custom exhaust (looks like a 3" straight pipe with a hot dog), i'd like to change this as it's a little loud for me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Need to look at turbo, take the alloy pipe off it that comes from the airbox and have a look at the condition of the compressor wheel and check for any free play.

Also check the intake hoses, make sure the clamps are tight, hoses no splits.
Check the small hose that connects to the boost sensor.

You should reach around 15psi boost under load.

Also do the neutral position switch test. (Do a search if ur not sure).

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Think I found the problem

25445017_10209061527889042_698524415_o.jpg

I think you might be right..... Nice find

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back