Stx550 wont start

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMGTZ

Reaction score
My brother went into a servo and filled up the Stx550....yep it was the correct fuel.

He got in and tried to move the car...which is completely stock standard apart from suspension....and it turns over but wont start.

Checked for
blocked inlet
unplugged and reconnected. EGR, MAF and fuel pressure sensor.
tried starting with the fuel cap off.

RAC was fairly clueless but found an old code about brake and accelerator depress at same time. they are about to tow the car and caravan home for him...but it going to cost$$$ as he is further than 50kms from home.

no white smoke when cranking.

I maybe wrong but suspect the suction control valve or fuel pressure regulator/releif valve.

Can any one tell me where these are located as I will be doing the fixing...

regards

Brian

Highly unusual for the SCV to give up so quickly. Don't hear of many V9X SCVs failing, and they usually go for ages problematically before giving up the ghost, so I'd think it's something else.

Obviously it's either fuel or air. The throttle body might be blocked/sticking, or the EGR is opened fully so it's choking on EGR during a start. It would also be worth checking the intake for blockages - have a snorkel? Any chance something's crawled down the pipe and died? How's the air filter? Removing the top of the air filter box and holding the filter to the intake side while trying to start will reveal a blocked snorkel/baffle. I don't think a failed MAFS would prevent starting (it would put the car in limp mode). A failed turbo would not prevent starting either.

On the fuel side, the easiest way to check that fuel is getting in is to pop a glow plug and see if it's wet. The glows don't have to be working to start the car - I was in a hurry yesterday morning and just turned the key all the way and my car started like any other car would. If it's not wet, maybe the pump isn't being commanded to open - loose connection? How long since the fuel filter was changed?

Some other issues we've seen in the YD25s may not apply to you (like the ECU earth point), but you might check the battery terminals and just make sure that not only are they clean and making good contact but the fuses on the positive terminal are all looking good too.

Let us know how you go.

Also, are you sure he did not run out of diesel? If so it needs bleeding with that syringe thing. It isn't the easiest job to do either.

car was towed home

no investigation yet

last night

the battery was disconnected several times and reconnected...it cranks well just no start.

the airbox lid was removed and start tried ....no joy.

I'm not sure what the 550s are set up like, but I do know the gu patrols had a small transponder in the key that controlled the immobiliser. If that wasn't in the key it wouldn't start.

If he has just put fuel in and now it won't start it has to be something simple. I would be looking at ecu fuses and even possibly the key. If it needs batteries in the key replaced for the transponder to work or something? Have you got another key you can try to see if that works?

Had something similar before got air in the fuel line some how. Had to pull the fuel lines off at the filter and use the primer. Once started primer through the fuel filter. Then Remove primer. Turning the car off between steps obviously.

Had something similar before got air in the fuel line some how. Had to pull the fuel lines off at the filter and use the primer. Once started primer through the fuel filter. Then Remove primer. Turning the car off between steps obviously.

I've had the air-in-fuel line too, but not because of a mechanical failure. The mechanic who serviced mine didn't do up the water sensor in the fuel filter until it clicked, he left it loose, so eventually it worked its way out just enough to allow air in and the fuel drained back to the tank. Prime + start gave me the clue, and now after a service I check the sensor. At the last service it was left loose again so I won't be going back there. The fact that they also stuffed my sump plug (discovered today) is doubly annoying.

Latest posts

Back