replace navara at engine 288 k?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willmacc

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide if I should spend $10000 to replace my engine.

My 2006 d40 2.5 turbo diesel has been diagnosed with a cracked head.
It's done 288 000 km
I noticed it overheating after the heater stopped working and I think there may have been a slight loss of power. I pulled over let it cool down, checked the radiator and it was dry, it took approx 8 l of water to refill. I then attempted to drive it to reception but the temperature gage was rising and there was a lot of back pressure but it still drives.
Leading up to the overheating the engine started to have trouble staring, and when started the rev and speedo dial flickered for about 10 sec.

Wondering how many kms I could expect a d40 to go for and how many problems will be coming my way if I chose to stick with it.

I've already replaced altinator and belts, reconditioned rear diff, new rear suspension, heavy duty clutch and new tyres.

Think it would be a much easier decision if it had no modifications.

It's a touring ute with a camper fitted on the tray and a fridge,air compressor and aux battery on the on a platform replacing two rear seats. Also a good sound system installed.

Ute drives well and and haven't had many problems for over 50 000 kms apart from the diff.

To keep or replace?

Last edited:
Vq40 engine swap?

Its a tough one, ur going to be dropping cash either way.

I guess add up the cost of repair vs the cost of a newer ute but also consider u might have a nicer/newer ute.

Or... let it roll over a cliff and claim ins...

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Wow 10g! Is that all up for someone else to do the lot? I guess you need to factor in what its worth to sell with a FUBAR engine when working it out. I was reading on here the other day that the d40 is a really nice rig and with the work you have done sounds like you oughta hang on to it. I was only talking to a mate tonight about the value of changing vehicles compared to keeping my old d22. No need to worry about kids in the back seat for me for much longer so a new engine and inj pump is a lot cheaper than a new bus.......though gearbox....diff....aircon....etc

If you have the car set up how you want it, I'd keep it & put a new motor in it. Unless of course its had a hard life & everything else is worn too!

If buying a new Ute to replace it, you'd have to drop a lot of $ to get it how you want it & when buying 2nd hand you never know what you're getting.

Latest posts

Back