Stalling and limp mode at no throttle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMentalGrey

Reaction score
I've had my 2007 ST-X 2.5TD manual for a few weeks now. I haven't driven it heaps over that time due to a number of reasons so have only used one tank full of fuel. AFAIK it is 100% stock and had a good service history.

Last week it went in to limp mode a couple of times after idling up to a roundabout, or intersection. Bit worrying because it wouldn't drive out of the way. I decided that 'blowing the cobwebs out' might help so took it for a drive on the freeway for about 40min, preceded by warming it up in city traffic on the drive there.

This morning it was otherwise running fine, but would stall on idle from time to time. 1st time at the lights when I though my clutch skills had failed me, second time when I took my foot off the brake to roll forward after idling in neutral for about 20secs, then it got worse as I was in a queue of traffic it stalled about 5 times. Would idle rough and not rev (limp mode?) or would just straight up stall after coasting to a stop. Seemed to be running with normal power while driving along though, including a surprise drift when the turbo kicked in (it was raining). Each time it stalled it started and idled smoothly straight away.

The tank was showing about 1/4, so not being familiar with the truck figured maybe it was getting low on fuel so filled up and put 55L in, obviously not empty, and each time it started first try and would run fine initially which indicated to me it wasn't sort of fuel too.

It ran fine from there to work including 2-3 min idling while coasting down a hill in a traffic queue. When I got to work I swiped my access card at the gate, reversed a little after maybe 10-15sec, then 1st gear and it went rough/stalled again as I moved through the gate but again started fine and got me to my park spot.

I'd appreciate all thought on this hoping I haven't bought a dud. I have ordered a neutral position switch due to the cruise control not working and wondered if that might be causing issues, or is it a sign of something else perhaps?

Hey mate. Sounds like a suction control valve problem to me. Have a bit of a search on the forum for liqui moly diesel purge and you will see peoples experiences with it. Run some of that through and it should help you out

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thanks bods. I'm a bit new to DIY on diesels. I'm also short of time at the moment needing to repair my old car to sell and complete some home reno works that are dragging on. Is this the sort of thing a mechanic would do for a reasonable fee?

Yeah probably. Or you can get a can of the diesel purge from supercheap for about 15 bucks, 1m of 6mm vacuum line and 1m of 10mm vacuum line and I got a cheap carby type fuel filter with 6mm fittings on it just so any crap that comes out of the return line doesn't get sucked back in the feed line.

On the driver's side of the motor are the fuel feed and return lines. 10mm is the feed and 6mm is the return. Unhook the rubber lines on the engine and connect the appropriate vacuum hoses, put the other ends of the hose in the can of diesel purge and start the motor. Run it at varying rpm until the can is almost empty, should take 10-15min at the most. Then remove your vacuum hoses and replace with the car fuel lines.

Even for someone with not a great mechanical aptitude it shouldn't take more than 1/2 an hour I reckon. Just pour what's left in the can into the fuel tank when you're done. Probably wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter at the same time unless you know when it was last changed.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thought I'd updated this earlier.

Anyway, I ran the diesel purge through the car and it has been running well since - mostly. I did put a bit of fuel additive in for the current tank full and I went to limp mode the other day but at full throttle, not at idle. Will be changing filters after this tank full to give the additive a chance to clean things out.

Latest posts

Back