Maxtrax alternative! Ghetto DIY

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

krunchi

Hey Guys,

Well headed to fraser island next week on our own so i have been preparing for all sorts of possible scenarios.

Looked at all the self sand recovery aids on the market and MaxTrax seem to be the pick, However at $300 a pop thats hard to swallow!

Got me thinking there are plenty of alternatives!
Check out what i made from Milk Crates!

I call them MilkTrax and i am thinking of painting them bright orange for a laugh! Might not be as good a the real deal but for 30mins of your time might just do the trick and save $300!

Basically i used all the sides and cut up the base to add as supports on all the joins. Some people make them so they fold up but i thinking you would benefit more form it being stiffer and less flexy.
All held together with zips ties its almost indestructable! lol

I will report after Fraser if i get bogged and have to used them.

Attachments

• IMG_0391_SM.jpg
    IMG_0391_SM.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,141
Nice idea I'd be interested to see how they work, I've got dozens of milk crates floating around here. Now if you can find a remotely useful purpose for bread crates that doesn't involve bread or bread racks (I've already used the racks for other purposes) I'll be happy to hear that as well.

I know about the heshan bag idea but yet to test it, another alternative is rubber mats but i think the wheels some times dont get traction on them, i have a ute matt in the back which boubles for that purpose if i need it :)

Bread Crates hey! large suface area! possibilities are endless! Cut it up and ziptie together and make a jerry can holder! You dont wanna let me loos id make your car look like some thing from the 3rd world slumse

All the crates I've got are red which for anyone who knows them knows they are made like crap, have sharp edges and require too much work to make something useful. We usually just dump them in odd places behind stores where we know the driver has to go out of the way too pick them up.

You guys should start a business called "kraft and krunchi's krates"!
I've made a set too, just waiting to try them out, mine fold up thought they might snap if rigid, guess we'll see. Shade cloth is another one I heard...

Are you kidding, it's bad enough getting caught with the things let alone getting caught with them cut up and used for alternate purposes. I know the guy who collects those said red crates from businesses that shouldn't have them and the fines he hands out are not something I'd want to receive.

While i was cutting them up i noticed they said some thing about the owner prosecuting any one not lawfully in posession of them.
Bugger i tried to buy them in the first instance but they are more rare then front d40 diff locks

Are you kidding, it's bad enough getting caught with the things let alone getting caught with them cut up and used for alternate purposes. I know the guy who collects those said red crates from businesses that shouldn't have them and the fines he hands out are not something I'd want to receive.

So I take it said bloke doesn't know about all your crates?? What's the fine? Would like to see someone prove how I would or wouldn't be in lawful possession of a milk crate.

I dont get it? Surely the person who drops them off should pick up the empties? I'm pretty sure the milkman used to take our empty glass bottles.

I was thinking of using bread crates on my trip up the centre. Use them to store recovery gear, spares etc, and sit an extra spare wheel and tyre on top.

Its the bit on the side that says "Property of...." that will lead to your undoing.

There are 2 types of milk crate that are the best ones.
1. The one that doesn't have a logo or "property of ...." on the side
2. The older style milk crate that has 4 sides - these days they have one side removed to stop people from using them as storage.

As an apprentice living with other busted arse apprentices we constructed a lounge suite and 2 lounge chairs out of milk crates. A TV stand and book shelves from milk crates and a "roadwork ahead" sign. A coffee table out of an old cable reel and used to burn Chep pallets out the back in the fire pit. Now that was ghetto!

This bloke appears around Melbourne from time to time
milk-crates.jpg

But I digress back to the topic....

I'm not sure what milk crate laws state because I never delivered milk, (although I know as kids we used to get warned about using them to deliver papers with). As far as bread crates go the only people that have a "lawful" use for them is their owner as the crates remain property of the owner. Those who may use them in their shops have no lawful claim on them whether they are used to store bread or anything else.

Drivers are ordered to pick them up all the time but if a store owner doesn't allow a driver to pick them up then the collector does the job and is allowed to fine the person holding the crates, fines can range from holding to refusing to return. If crates are found in use for other purposes the fines can be quite high. The likely hood of someone using a few bread crates at home and being fined is as low as it is for milk crates but that doesn't mean Joe Public hasn't been fined for such things, and it only takes one person to see something and report it.

The highest fine I ever saw was for a store owner who wasn't even getting a bread delivery and had refused both the driver and the collector entry to his property and the fine was a 6 figure sum for the wrongful possession and refusal to return over 100 crates.

I think that given their costs and the fact that they do work better I'd stick with Maxtraxs rather than bread crates.

What aido said. Last year at Ballarat swap meet while the sheriffs did the wheel clamping, The police i believe went around giving fines of around $100 PER crate for milk crates, One stall holder had all his books for sale in crates. I was there i didnt see a fine issued, But i did see crates thrown out at the end of the aisles

Last edited:
I guess I'll have to take the chance that when I'm out in the bush and whip out said item that there's no inspectors hiding in the scrub to fine me, gotta see if they work anyway! I wonder how much they are worth , if they're that handy then someone must sell them... hang on.... nup, none on ebay. Lucky mine are pretty old crappy ones and were given to me by someone else, the guilt is overwhelming!

Hmm, I know of an "artist" who wanted to borrow milk crates from DFs but was told no. Instead they sold them to him. something like 60 crates. I hope he got a receipt.

I actually carry strips from poly wool bales for soft ground use. but then i don't go looking for soft ground.

Latest posts

Back