What are the largest sized tyres I can fit?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aido

Reaction score
Using standard suspension geometry and wheels, what is the largest sized tyres I can fit to either a D21, D22 or D40 with no modifications to guards etc. If I wanted to fit even larger inclusive of mods - radical or basic - what would be required?

You are restricted legally by the rim width (7") fairly sure 265 is as wide as you can go.

I've got 265/75/16's on my D40. Already had a 2" OME lift and no worries at all. Have done some pretty steep 4wd trips with it since then and no scrubbing at all. But like king cab said, the 7" rims will restrict you.

33's on a d21 are about as high as you could go without chopping guards, thats with a 2in sus lift and most cases a 2in body lift. But I supose you could put a calmini 6in kit on and chop the guardes to get 35's, but then youd be going through cv's and transfer chains like Josh:big_smile:

I ran 265/75R16's BFG All Terrains on my D22 with no suspension mods, needed to trim front mud flaps slightly but not remove them. Have them on 16x7 Dynamic Black Sunraysia's. Now have a lift kit so thinking of a set of MTZ 285/75R16's on another set of 16x8 steelies for playing around with.

There are Australian Design Regulations (ADR) limits to tyre sizes. If I recall, the limit might be 50mm over the vehicle's designated tyre size defined on the tyre placard or in the owners' manual.

That means you can probably get 315s on it legally, but may need to change the offset of the rims to do it. The offset can be changed by a small amount without engineer's inspection (I think that limit is 20mm) but there will be issues with inner guards and trying to reach full lock or full suspension travel.

Beyond those limits, the vehicle must have an engineer's certificate relating to those changes.

MTZ's in 285x75x16 are recommended to fit a 7" rim.

So they do, Maybe their side walls are extra stiff so don't balloon out as much?. Usually you need a 7.5-8" rim. I'm guessing you would need 3" of lift to clear them.
I'd like to run that size but I feel the diff ratio's are too tall

Mmm, on our Nav the previous owner fitted the Pirellis mentioned in my signature and they are fine. No scrubbing I've noticed, with std suspension and with normal mudflaps.

Going to a larger diameter might change things though,

Hoo Roo

35x10's with only a 2" sus lift. 35x13s with 2 sus and 2 body. 42's with custom front and rear diffs and panel work.

35x12.5x15 with 40mm body lift blocks, torsion bars wound up slightly.
had to cut/hammer an inch or so from front guards and sills.
Didn't need to remove so much from the flares or the bumper but I was in a hurry as it was snowing and I cant fit it in the garage anymore.

my wheels came from a hilux, dont think the offset is right but they dont rub anymore.

Attachments

• bigwheel.jpg
    bigwheel.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 257

Latest posts

Back