Clock spring repair.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woosha

Reaction score
G'day all has anyone repaired there clock spring on there Navara's? Mine is a 2007 D40 and I'm struggling to find a replacement for it. Attached are photo's of clock spring. It only has cruise controol functions on the steering wheel
Reason for changing is Air bag light is coming on. Cheers in advance. Woosha
5171cd4355083d8ca7fe9727ff0f3e08.jpg
eb7130d6f93d84d444885cfbd5005dd7.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I replaced mine. Do NOT get one of these even though they look very similar - notice the "L" on the face - it's for a left hand drive. This is the one that you're after.
Please don't think I'm rude the last set of numbers are wrong. Why is this the right one? Only confirming as I don't want to spend a cupboard full of clock springs lol. Cheers again Old Tony.

Tony does it matter that the numbers are wrong? I want to get the right one as I don't want a cupboard full of them! 😀

I bought one and installed it in my car. Works fine. Don't want to comment on its longevity, because my airbag light has come on again (8 months after install) but that might be something else. Cruise is working as expected, as is my horn.

I just found the exact seller I bought mine from here.

How difficult? Not at all, but you'll need a couple of tools, particularly a torx bit to undo the steering column covers (can't recall if it's a T4 or T5). A flat screwdriver to pop the airbag/horn out. Make sure the wheels are straight ahead, do NOT lock the steering (key in ignition, position at "OFF" so the steering can turn if needed), remove the steering wheel noting its precise position (black marker pen is handy to use where the nut was, before pulling the wheel off). Philips screwdriver to remove the clock spring.

Before mounting the new spring (which should have a lock engaged on it to prevent the inner from turning) I removed the lock on mine and made sure it would turn 2.5 turns in each direction (slightly more than you'd need). Mine did this without any binding or feeling like I was stretching anything. Locking pin back on, reassemble, remove the locking pin last.

The reason for not getting a cheaper one marked L - it will work (I know, I bought one) but it stuffs up your indicator cancelling since it's designed for use where cars are built backwards.

Cheers mate will order one today it is quite a simple job to do. Thanks again

Any update on how you went Woosha? I am having the same problems trying to get a clock spring (same as the one in the photos).

G'day mate, I just did mine on the weekend. Bought a genuine part as I am funny like that for certain things.
Genuine nissan part cost $190

I went through [email protected] who was very good and they deliver. Can recommend.

I completed a online request through http://www.nissanparts.com.au was easy to do and the response was quick.

Hope this helps, let me know how you go. I have used them before for genuine parts. I am an ex nissan spare parts interpreter and this is my preferred order method.

My vehicle is a 2008 D40 Spain built. If you were in Brisbane I also have an iCarsoft diagnostic tool which works perfectly to see stored faults which the Torque app didn't show.

Last edited:
Thanks Maddo. Spoke to Gary and they can get it to me for $290.
$90 dollars cheaper than the dealer here.
I have to wait a few days but other than that its all good.

Glad to hear mate. Pity you have the dearer one (there are a couple of different ones). Glad you saved a bit of coin though.

Steering angle sensor

Fitted new clock to fix air bag light. Now have steering angle sensor fault C1156.
Had to refit angle sensor to clock Spring all appears OK but have this fault.
Can someone explain how angle sensor works as not there is not connection to steering to turn it.
2011 STX 550

Solved my own problem. Clock Spring supplied is the wrong one, steering angle sensor fits on but does not have any grooves to drive it. Gave Nissan Spares the VIN number but still wrong part supplied.

Latest posts

Back