D40 Limp mode

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itaravan

Reaction score
Hi, I have had a search through the forum and seen similar issues but not exactly the same. I was on a long trip yesterday and my D40 went into limp mode about 40 or 50 times in about 600 km.

It seems to happen at light throttle settings as I back further off the throttle, it has never happened while I am making the engine work moderate to hard. What usually happens is that I put my foot down to accelerate and realise its in limp mode (I don't have a sudden loss of power under heavy use). I then need to switch the engine off and restart it (the first time this can be done without the starter, after that you need to let the engine stop turning completely and use the starter - for clarity / understanding I do this without stopping the car... I know that's a bit dodgy but there is no traffic and long straight roads) and not always but 9 times out of 10 it has sorted it, if not I need to switch off and start it again and then its fine.

I have had an exhaust sensor replaced many years ago and yesterday it was after a fuel stop at a station that was almost empty (so I think they were sucking off the bottom of their tanks). What all could it be? Thinking I am going to try and drain the fuel filter as a preventative measure.

Thanks

Awesome - thank you, I have also been told the battery could be causing it? Starts fine and I replaced the battery last year (after many years of service)

So just to continue with this, I have bought an upgraded exhaust temp / gas sensor which I haven't fitted yet, but limp mode hasn't happened in 2 months (seems long trips cause the limp mode)

It seems like one of those SCV-related issues but could also be related to boost control. It would be interesting to see what your boost levels are like while this is happening.

On my own vehicle, if I accelerated gently but consistently I could bring the boost up to around 15psi but no further. If I tried to accelerate a little more energetically, I'd be limited to around 6psi of boost. Backing off the throttle and reapplying the throttle would work on mine - boost would rise again. This was my actuator control solenoid playing up, replaced it and the turbo went back to normal.

So the key is looking at your operational figures. I use the program Torque, was about $5 on the Google Play Store for Android phones. A Bluetooth OBD-II (ELM327-compliant) connector plugged into the OBD port (near your left knee in a right-hand-drive vehicle) and you're then able to read a myriad of information from the ECU, and graph it. That's how I figured out that 0-50km/h can be achieved using less fuel by revving my auto at 2500rpm rather than at 2000rpm - I did several runs and watched the fuel consumed every 0.1 seconds and graphed it in Excel.

You might need to do something similar - at least it's inexpensive and you've a tool that can give you more info about your engine and clear error codes too!

I had the same story with my 07 auto d40
Got limp mode twice in 15 minutes under light throttle when backing off
Pulled over, opened Torque the android phone app oldtony is talking about, and scanned for fault codes
"Suction control valve stuck" came up
Had to go to Nissan dealer to get the right one, too many variations to be sure otherwise
Never had limp mode since
I'll post a link to an OBD bluetooth device on ebay
They really are the best thing since sliced bread you can scan for fault codes, clear fault codes and also get all kinds of realtime info on a customisable gauge display
Coolant temp, intake temp, turbo boost pressure etc
Very reassuring on 40+ degree days because you can watch your temps like a hawk

OBD2 bluetooth plug :
http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-ELM32...face-Scanner-Tool-AU-/142240485564?nav=SEARCH

Latest posts

Back