Reversing camera

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benengel

Reaction score
What reversing camera has everyone installed on there d22s?
Adjustable lines or just standard?
I had a cheap repco one before and threw it out as it was useless

I have an Eonon camera on mine that came with my old head unit. It works with my new Pumpkin one fine too. It is held in with a piece of cardboard to jam the bracket behind the number plate, after around 4 years it's still holding in there. I am just a lazy bastard!

I have a cheep ebay one that goes across top of numberplate, has been on 9 years now & still reasonably ok with new head deck.
Where it is located I can see tow ball, and use with tailgate down as well.

I brought a GPS with a reversing camera on ebay too....it is of course 'fully imported' from China :D. Works well, it is a boon when hooking up the caravan. Initially I had a wireless camera and while that was a breeze to install communications would drop out too often, I replaced it with a cable job and it wasnt it that hard to fit...very happy with the whole set up....its now about five years old, I am going to update it....with this one, remote control too, how flash.:)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/183593664606
Paul
Lockyer Valley, Qld.

Cheers the replies,
I'm thinking I might have to go with the number plate mounted version over the normal type as my after market rest bar makes mounting very difficult and my last camera was right on the way of the access point for the spare tyre.
My last camera was a rear goew mirror aswell which o found very frustrating would need to have the reverse camera on a switch rather then triggered by the reverse lights haha
I think a new head unit with GPS will be next on the cards...

Hi,
I've had numerous reversing cameras over the years and here's what I've found.

Don't go wireless, signal can be interferred with when you are carrying loads in the back. I sell welders and these were shocking for it.
Rear vision mirror mounted screens, limit mirror usage and tend to be dark shaded which makes the mirror difficult to use with window tints.
Rear vision mirror mounted combined with dash cam, these are a little better as you can have just the rear camera come up there but then the same problem as above.
Radio with rear camera, I use this currently and this has become my defacto to the rearview mirror. Takes some getting use to but you need the 7" screen minimum and a good quality camera and camera position.

The best I have found was a windscreen mount rearview on it's own that was in the right corner of the screen next to the drivers mirror. I had a 6" screen which was great but hard to find online. Camera was hard wired but came into the cab with the canopy wiring. Camera was powered through the screen which ran a seperate wire to the reversing switch on the gear box. This meant I could switch the camera on without needing to be in reverse, handy when checking a load on the trailer. A bit of a faff to wire up but I drive 60+ k per year and fitting it when it's new and having it for 4 years makes it worthwhile.

My 2 cents worth.

I have a Sony head unit with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto which is hooked up to a $50 reversing no-name brand reversing camera I picked up from Jaycar.

I think the head unit is by far the best GPS and Music/Radio/Phone/SMS&* setup you can have in a car.

The camera isn't anything special, but it works perfectly fine during the day and is reasonably good at night (if there are no street lights, I have to feather the brake pedal just enough to turn on the brake lights... the reversing lights don't quite provide enough light). Perfectly happy with it for $50 - a better camera would be nice but I'd rather spend the money one something else.

During the day, I just about reverse entirely with the camera. It gives me a better view than anything else including looking over my shoulder.

(* for SMS, it reads them out to you and you speak back to reply... a bit clunky but it's legal and safe, fine for telling someone you'll arrive in 20 minutes)

Latest posts

Back