Driveline Jamming

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny Coaster

Reaction score
20170908_182614.jpg

20170909_092622.jpg

The last 2 times I have used 4wd, the driveline seems to be locked up the next day when I go to use my car (hubs unlocked and in H2). 4wd engages fine and works as it should at the time, after the hubs are unlocked and it's back in H2 the nav works fine for the rest of the day but locks up the next day.
I put the rear diff on stands and disconnected the tailshaft, the rear diff spun with no issues, but the tailshaft would not spin and would just rock back and forth, this would also rock the front shaft as if it was jamming in the transfer case. After rocking it back and forth and going through the 4wd selection it free'd up. It drove perfectly in 2wd all wk but locked up again the following wknd after I had changed the transfer fluid and gone for another 4wd.
-Twice in the last few months there has been a large clunk and it has popped out of L4 and into N. the first time I was helping a mate that was bogged at a sand boat ramp (hill and large boat) the second time it popped out I was getting my own boat out of a sand boat ramp.

I have checked the font diff oil also, seemed to be some grease in the oil and also some super fine glittery silver (Harrop E Locker up front).

Any body experienced anything similar..? The transfer is getting swapped out this wk and I hope it fixes the problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170909-171518.jpg
    Screenshot_20170909-171518.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 89
front diff as a fair bit of wear going by the metal. most likely the gears with that amount. if it was bearings it would be very noisy.
possibly a lube problem but could be a setup problem when they put the locker in.

the transfer i don't know. they are known for chain stretch.

Thanks mate. With the amount of water I go through and the time I spend in 4wd, I should probably be changing my diff oils a lot more regularly than I do. Hopefully the new transfer sorts out the driveline prob.

Latest posts

Back