Cat, dpf, "white smoke" issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden010

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm sorry in advanced about asking another question about dpfs and cat deletion, I've done alot of reading on this page and haven't found a solution that has 100% worked and is going to stop the "white smoke" exhaust stroke dpf regen.

I run a 3in dump into the chip it delete pipe with the chip it chip, egt gauge, fuel rail blank and egr blank plate. Until the other day when I put the dump pipe in I had no regen burn, now it happens everything I drive 5min down the road and doesn't stop until the car turn off or egts are under 275c.

Now I've done some research and there is a program being used in the uk where they remove the dpf module from ecu with success, is there anyone in aus that is doing this or is there someone that can change the heat sensor probs in the dpf so the read around 650-700c?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the questions

Hi Mate

I've got a D40 that's got no functioning CAT or DPF that was smoking. Have you got the DPF light on your Dash? How it fixed it

1. I reinstalled a working DPF and went for a drive till the DPF light went off aka Regen successful

2. Re installed the Delete pipe straight away and used some resisitors to replace the temp sensors in the dpf delete pipe. I calibrated the resistors so that the ecu is detecting around 600 Deg all the time. I believe this stops the ECU from post injecting extra diesel (aka your white smoke problem) as i thinks the exhaust is already hot enough for the DPF/CAT to work.

Did this several 1000 Km's ago and no white smoke since.

However once a Regen starts which is what yours is trying to do, you need a working DPF to clear it. I haven't found a way to get around this as yet.

Last edited:
Hi auggie,

Thanks for your help, the light has only come on yesterday around lunch time, before this the cat has been off for 3 weeks, I had white smoke on the 3rd day and thought I had fixed the problem, then on Friday the smoke was back again (2 weeks after I thought I fixed it) and as of yesterday the dpf light came on.

So I have to re fit the dpf and go for a drive to complete the regen? Then remove it again and put the dpf delete back on?

How do I get my hands in these resistors and have them calibrated?

Cheers
Hayden

Tunit has been doing ecu flashing on D40 for some time now.

I am pretty sure it is possible to turn off all dpf functions during this process.
Will double check tomorrow and let every know.

Hi auggie,

Thanks for your help, the light has only come on yesterday around lunch time, before this the cat has been off for 3 weeks, I had white smoke on the 3rd day and thought I had fixed the problem, then on Friday the smoke was back again (2 weeks after I thought I fixed it) and as of yesterday the dpf light came on.

So I have to re fit the dpf and go for a drive to complete the regen? Then remove it again and put the dpf delete back on?

How do I get my hands in these resistors and have them calibrated?

Cheers
Hayden

Hi Hayden

Yep the easiest way to get rig of the regen cycle is to let it complete. Your cars stuck in limbo now. It's injecting extra diesel in a dseperate attempt to raise exhaust temps but with no cat or dpf it just makes smoke instead.

Do you have your DPF still? If so refit and go for a cruise on the freeway till DPF light goes out. It usually takes me about 20-30mins to clear the Regen once DPF refitted.

As far as the resistor mod goes i calibrated one of the exhaust probs using a dry block calibrater and then went to my local electronics store and purachsed the resistance which corresponded to the temp i wanted aka about 600 Deg.

If you can get the ECU modded to delete the regen all together even better but.

Refit a DPF to fix your smoke prob on the short term.

Hi guys,

Had a good step forward tonight in the way of fixing this white smoke issue.

Now I've found that chip tunning in Sydney import a dpf emulator for the car that removes the dpf regen all together. It works by connecting it piggy back style to the airflow sensor and also the dpf sensor. According to them anyways. Only catch is the unit is $600 delivered.

They guarantee now more white smoke or dash lights to come on.

Cheers
Hayden

The reason for the airflow sensor to pressure differential sensor is to make a sliding scale reading based off engine load.

Ive tried it using AFM and it worked for about 10 days before the problem came back again.
Only way I could get it to work properly was to use the fuel pressure sensor instead for the load input..

As long as the egt reads 580-600deg the ecu will never to into active regen. The pressure sensors can read even and it shouldnt cause any problems.

$600 seems a little steep for something so simplistic in my view.

The reason for the airflow sensor to pressure differential sensor is to make a sliding scale reading based off engine load.

Ive tried it using AFM and it worked for about 10 days before the problem came back again.
Only way I could get it to work properly was to use the fuel pressure sensor instead for the load input..

As long as the egt reads 580-600deg the ecu will never to into active regen. The pressure sensors can read even and it shouldnt cause any problems.

$600 seems a little steep for something so simplistic in my view.

I Agree. The Pressure sensor it actaully really easy to trick. It dosent cost u anything to do that. Its' the temp sensors that takes abit more mucking around. If all there doing for $600 is tricking the Pressure sensor i think thats pretty steep.

As DT said i think the key to stopping the smoke is to make the ECU think that the EGT temps are high enough for it to not want to inject any extra diesel fuel.

Doing a DPF delete is actaully easy. All you have to trick the pressure sensor into not triggering one. What people don't realise is once you remove the CAT aswell as the DPF your normal tricking the pressure sensor won't work on its own. The D40 ecu Post injects for the CAT too, not just the DPF. You have 2 options Trick the ECU or find someone who can remove the fuction completely from the ECU program.

Last edited:
The benefit of a reflash is you can tune the engine and get rid or any unwanted stuff at the same time.

I tune alot of Subaru's and they are horrid for having secondary air pumps fail. So the full tune is done for the normal price, air pumps are blocked and the 12 air pump related systems are all deactivated at the same time.

The majority of people would prefer to have everything done at the same time in a proper way.
others dont mind tinkering and messing around with resistors to get rid of problems etc..

Latest posts

Back