550 gearbox slipping/ engine surge

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they all do that. 60km/hr is right on the point where the torque converter locks up and it obviously has poor logic for that speed at low load. If you set the speed to 65 or 70 I bet it doesn't do it.

_

Oh ok even just taking off it seems like it's slipping,so the engine is meant to rev up and down like that constantly? When I slightly put my foot up or down on the accelerator it stops?

Last edited:
Yep, this is exactly what's happening with my nav, anyone else seen this?? Could it be that our G sensors need calibrating? heard someone had it done at some point but forget where I saw the post on here.

At 60k's an hour my navara doesn't even know what gear it wants! it shifts at 61k's an hour, if its sat in the garage for a few days and i start it up and select reverse it doesn't even move for probably 15 seconds it just revs like its in neutral, i had my g-sensors calibrated and it made no difference whatsoever, i think personally the gearbox is not so bad it shifts smoothly and doesn't knock like i've heard other people saying theirs does i personally think the problem is entirely the software.

Are you driving in 4wd? looks like it in the video.

Mine does this as well at 61km/hr. It is poor transmission logic. Really the torque converter shoulnt lock up until about 70km/hr I reckon as the revs are simply too low. Sit either on a speed faster or slower.

_

At 60k's an hour my navara doesn't even know what gear it wants! it shifts at 61k's an hour, if its sat in the garage for a few days and i start it up and select reverse it doesn't even move for probably 15 seconds it just revs like its in neutral, i had my g-sensors calibrated and it made no difference whatsoever, i think personally the gearbox is not so bad it shifts smoothly and doesn't knock like i've heard other people saying theirs does i personally think the problem is entirely the software.

Are you driving in 4wd? looks like it in the video.

Yerp the 550 Pathfinder is always in 4x4...cheers

Last edited:
Interesting about the gearbox does not engage for several seconds from a cold start. My D40 stx550 does the same thing and so does a mate's with the same vehicle.
It's like the gearbox has to pump up pressure from a cold start before it can operate the actuators etc.
I've never noticed unnecessary transmission changes at 60Klm, will check it out.
Isn't there a vacuum hose that causes hunting around 60Kl/h if it splits etc?

Remove engine cover. On passenger side hose goes from air cleaner to a small air box. Directly behind the air box there is a small air hose that goes over to the other side of the engine. Where that small air hose connects to the air box was disconnected. This resulted in gear changes hunting. Push hose back on all OK.

Could be worth following that hose to wherever else it goes and look hard for splits as well.
Has someone worked on the engine and bumped off a hose and no one noticed?

You say it takes 15 seconds for reverse to engage (after sitting) does it just seem like 15 seconds and it's really only several seconds?
Several seconds = normal
Fifteen seconds = potential reverse gear repair.

I don't have the reverse problem,just the surge. my ti 550 Pathfinder would be perfect otherwise...all the hoses look brand new,it has bin recently serviced so the book says by the car yard before I bought it..was the 140,000 service..

Last edited:
U1000:
http://www.autocodes.com/u1000_2012_nissan_pathfinder.html

"Possible causes
- Controller Area Network (CAN) communication harness is open or shorted
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
- Poor harness ground connection."
"Usually the problem is poor harness ground connection."

That's all good but the P2815 and the U3328 don't exist with anything I have. Possibly nonsense codes caused by the CAN bus being faulty?

I would assume you would need to address the U1000 error first.
Will be difficult to fix.
May not help with the surging even when it is fixed?

U1000= lost communication with ecm/pcm.
I not so long replaced the battery?

U3328=
(Either of the following)
1. Fuel rail pressure sensor malfunction
2. Cylinder 10 balance fault
3. Shift/timing solenoid malfunction

P2815. P 2 8 1 5
OBD-II Diagnostic Powertrain (P) Trouble Code For Engine Fuel And Air Metering (Injector Circuit Malfunctions Only) Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction Shift/Timing Solenoid Malfunction/ 3-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical

So 2 days at Nissan,there taking a guess ignoring the codes that it's throwing and saying it might be the egr...driving it from there to home it's thrown it's first engine light,and now throwing p2100 and p2101 ,bloody frustrating....cleaned the egr and blocked it..same issue

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back