glow plug timer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kabab

Reaction score
Found some interesting information on the qd32 engine glow plug system.

My navara is a 1998 model and comes equipt with a glow pug timer which is designed for Aussie climate (Warm to Hot) however they brought out this rig for other countries that are classified as cold climate and run a different glow plug timing module.

Essentially the difference is the aussie model glow plug module glows for a shorter time than the cold country models even though we have extreame cold (we don't all live in the desert)

That being the case you would ask why not make the modules and injector pumps standard as for cold areas? that would solve the problem because these modules pick up the coolant temp sensor and based on temp will adjust the glow plug duration weather hot or cold.

Looking through the nissan manual I disscovered In mid 1999 they changed the glow plug timing module to cater for hot and cold climates funny is'nt it (by the way the modules are interchangable). They must have had many compaints about smoking engines and decided to do the obvious. The glow plug times are considerably different. I've tried chasing up one of the newer modules with little luck fom the wreckers, I would'nt even consider nissan as i'd be looking at $600+. Another option is after market timers which are custom adjustible but are also expensive.

At the moment my temp sensor is dissconnected simulating extreame cold thus applying the glow plugs for longer causing less smoke to be emitted and embaressment. all this tech talk is making me hungry might be time for a kabab.
Edit/Delete Message

the cold elimate glows is a dual stage glows. most likly it uses different glowplugs. single stage often uses 11-12v glows while dual stage uses 7-9v glows.

Found some interesting information on the qd32 engine glow plug system.

My navara is a 1998 model and comes equipt with a glow pug timer which is designed for Aussie climate (Warm to Hot) however they brought out this rig for other countries that are classified as cold climate and run a different glow plug timing module.

Essentially the difference is the aussie model glow plug module glows for a shorter time than the cold country models even though we have extreame cold (we don't all live in the desert)

That being the case you would ask why not make the modules and injector pumps standard as for cold areas? that would solve the problem because these modules pick up the coolant temp sensor and based on temp will adjust the glow plug duration weather hot or cold.

Looking through the nissan manual I disscovered In mid 1999 they changed the glow plug timing module to cater for hot and cold climates funny is'nt it (by the way the modules are interchangable). They must have had many compaints about smoking engines and decided to do the obvious. The glow plug times are considerably different. I've tried chasing up one of the newer modules with little luck fom the wreckers, I would'nt even consider nissan as i'd be looking at $600+. Another option is after market timers which are custom adjustible but are also expensive.

At the moment my temp sensor is dissconnected simulating extreame cold thus applying the diesel glow plugs for longer causing less smoke to be emitted and embaressment. all this tech talk is making me hungry might be time for a kabab.
Edit/Delete Message

That is quite an interesting information you have there. Well, my uncle also owns a navarra but I'm not quite sure if it also has a glow plug timer like yours since you mentioned it's only made for aussie model. Anyway, I just thought my uncle would be interested about this so he could also check whether he also have that glow plug timer. Thanks for sharing this information.

Latest posts

Back