YD25 New head Brand???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st-x08

Reaction score
Hi All, I am just in the middle of a Yd25 engine build for a D40 I just bought that had a broken timing chain.
I need to buy a new complete cylinder head and am wondering what brand I should buy?
I have been looking a ETP made in china ($1450) that still look ok, and then the most of the others are made in Malaysia ($1000).
I have read about AMC (made in Spain)however they are to expensive ($3800).
The castings on the ETP heads looks good and they say that they don't use recycled material (not sure on the silica content).
I am using arp studs an permaseal gaskets so its just the head I am not sure about.

What have people used with success?

Hey mate where exactly are you located I did a full custom build on my YD25 last year and got a total new head for the build this leaving me with a spare head if ur interested I'm in Melbourne, if you are I'll drop it off Monday for a full crack test and check for ur piece of mind feel free to pm me if not all good

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

When my timing chain snapped a few years back my mechanic sourced a new head from HM Gem engines in Melbourne.
Im not sure if it was all brand new or recon, but it had HM GEM branding cast into the alloy of the head

It came setup and valved ready to bolt straight on and go with no valve adjustments or anything

4 years later the vehicle has still got perfect compression and stacks of power, starts and runs like a dream

Hi TravNavD40 Thanks for the offer, But I think I will go with the ETP head.
They look good and the manufacture does actually respond to people on facebook
and they have an outlet in Melbourne. so I think its worth a try.
Just thought I would see what other people had used.
I am lucky that being a diesel mechanic if it cracks I can just throw it in the bin and use
another brand without being out of pocket too much.

Stx08

Whats your opinion on HM Gem?

Just wondering as i know they've been around a loooong time
And you mentioned you're a diesel mechanic

Hi TravNavD40 Thanks for the offer, But I think I will go with the ETP head.
They look good and the manufacture does actually respond to people on facebook
and they have an outlet in Melbourne. so I think its worth a try.
Just thought I would see what other people had used.
I am lucky that being a diesel mechanic if it cracks I can just throw it in the bin and use
another brand without being out of pocket too much.
Not a problem mate just thought I'd offer on the off chance [emoji123]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I just fitted the ETP head and the quality looks good and after talking to the machine shop I use I didn't realise they sold them and have done for 10 years. They say they have only every had a few problems with them in that time and it was only the odd bolt hole not being in the perfect location. They also hardness test all of them and they are of constant hardness and higher than the Malaysian and most oem heads. So good chance it is going to be good.
Hope this helps others looking to save money and still get something that hopefully won't crack easily.

Yes from a company that was set up up by an Australian
and there is always an Aussie they're running it and doing quality control.
Not every thing from China and Asia is crap just most things thats why I was researching to weed out the crap ones.
I once worked for a Mercury outboards as an Engineer testing engines and designing boats, and I can tell you the engine plant they have in china building mid range engines is one of the best. It all comes down to Quality control.
Its not hard to find a bolt hole out by 1-2mm on parts manufactured anywhere in the world.
What is most important in china is the metal quality its self the silica content and purity of the aluminium and from the research I did I found out that they don't use recycled alluminium and the hardness is always very good (better than most oem tested by a machine shop that has no connection to ETP. They are just checking quality for them selves)
The casting lines and machining looks better than the Malaysian heads as well (because we all know Malaysia is renowned for its engineering and Nissan did such a good job with the original heads).
The AMG head is the only other head I found with a high silica content and the same casting lines as ETP but that is 3x the price.
I would NOT however use there gaskets or Head bolts that's another story.
I only use Permaseal and ARP

And No I have nothing to do with ETP, I am just an Engineer that doesn't want to use
parts that are designed to fail (Nissan) or made cheaper (by reducing silica content in Aluminium) so you are forced to buy more or more expensive products.

I place ETP mid range above OEM and cheap aftermarket but below AMG (high end expensive)

I know thats all true, its just that chinese companies are a lot more prone to, shall we call it exaggeration, than manufacturers in properly regulated parts of the world

From generator outputs, to inverter ratings, to whether or not there is asbestos in a product, chinese quality control regulation has proven to be more than a little dubious

I'd like to hope im wrong here

Latest posts

Back