ZD30 lift pump set ups. Post 'em up!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbid-chop

Reaction score
I'm half and half about setting one up on mine,
I'm interested to see what set-ups people are running and your thoughts and experiences.

Are you running out of fuel? If not then you don't need a lift pump

thats not strictly true.
even bosh's book on those IP's show a lift pump and many stock vehicles have them.
they do benefit from some fuel pressure.

i like lift pump because it shows up any leaks really easily. air being sucked in goes unnoticed for a long time, but fuel dripping out is easily seen.

the vp44 is used in 2002 dodge rams as well with a massive 5,9L engine which makes 3 times the power and 2 times the torque of our Nissans. i have read about this mod, it might be ok to do if you really want to but i dont see the point. i mean even if you get 5-10 horsepower does it really worth the ~1,000 dollars you will most likely spend for a proper installation? also the risks of doing it wrong etc. personally i have huge trust on the IP its a proper japanesse unit not some Denso crap !

there is different sized versions of the VP44. by all accounts the dodge IP setup is to small for the engine. those require 15psi bare minimum and many upgrade the hoses/connections to ensure flow.

your not going to gain power by fitting a lift pump. but you may recover some lost timing, especially in the lower rpm.

the other thing is if you want to run a 2nd fuel filter due to dodgy fuel, then you have to run a lift pump. two filters is just to much restriction.

there is different sized versions of the VP44. by all accounts the dodge IP setup is to small for the engine. those require 15psi bare minimum and many upgrade the hoses/connections to ensure flow.

your not going to gain power by fitting a lift pump. but you may recover some lost timing, especially in the lower rpm.

the other thing is if you want to run a 2nd fuel filter due to dodgy fuel, then you have to run a lift pump. two filters is just to much restriction.

later d22's in europe run a fuel filter plus a sedimentor after 2004 and i doubt i have ever heard of an IP failure maybe better fuel? i think normal diesel is rated at 55 cetane? not sure tho
and here is a picture of the setup (factory) sedimentor right next to the fuel filter. Vp44 pump
5608649_c_b.jpg

Last edited:
yes its a sedimentor rather than a filter. afaik sedimeter has no filter in it to restrict flow.
i wish they where fitted on the engines downunder.

YD's don't use the vp44 which are known to have problems. Yank tanks that use the vp44 have a lift pump fitted as standard, navaras don't. If you fit a lift pump fit a bypass as well, I didn't and when my carter died I ran the i.p dry. ICV% now sits a little lower. Bosch changed the vp44 timing piston sleeve from brass to steel in 2004 so they obviously new there were problems.
http://apps.bosch.com.au/AAExtranet_TechSearch/docs/servicebulletin/DISMV0022.pdf
http://apps.bosch.com.au/aaextranet_techsearch/docs/servicebulletin/index-dism-v.pdf

early YD's used vp44, might be the smaller version of it tho. they where not sold in AU. tho NZ got them in the 2wd.

YD's don't use the vp44 which are known to have problems. Yank tanks that use the vp44 have a lift pump fitted as standard, navaras don't. If you fit a lift pump fit a bypass as well, I didn't and when my carter died I ran the i.p dry. ICV% now sits a little lower. Bosch changed the vp44 timing piston sleeve from brass to steel in 2004 so they obviously new there were problems.
http://apps.bosch.com.au/AAExtranet_TechSearch/docs/servicebulletin/DISMV0022.pdf
http://apps.bosch.com.au/aaextranet_techsearch/docs/servicebulletin/index-dism-v.pdf

as tweake said, 2002-2007 d22s had the yd25 engine NON common rail with vp44 zexel injection pump. and yes zexel and bosch is not 100% identical i read that in patrol forum.

So is it a worthwhile mod on an otherwise perfectly good, mildly modded (chip, zorst, cooler) rig?
I have a bosch 044 and a carter gold sitting on the shelf.
Would the carter with a check valve bypass be ok without a reg, or should i run the mighty 044 and a reg?
Or don't worry about it?

So is it a worthwhile mod on an otherwise perfectly good, mildly modded (chip, zorst, cooler) rig?
I have a bosch 044 and a carter gold sitting on the shelf.
Would the carter with a check valve bypass be ok without a reg, or should i run the mighty 044 and a reg?
Or don't worry about it?

the built in reg on the carter will work, i'm just not sure on how long it will last. its just you can't repair the reg on those.
external bypass style reg is better but has to be set fairly low to actually work. hence its better paired with a higher output pump.
mine failed fairly quickly but others have been going for quite some time.

as far as worthwhile mod, i think it certainly is. at the very least its peace of mind abouts leaks. it should improve timing control and makes fuel filter changes a breeze, especially when stuck out in the bush.

if you do it, just remember to do the spill line mod.

Is there an "spill line mod for idiots" thread on here somewhere? I tried searching without success.
i think i have a write up on the patrol forum.

its easy enough and people find it worth while even without a lift pump (reduces fuel temps).

with these pumps the spill line comes from the injector and goes to the inlet banjo on the injection pump. all you have to do is disconnect that line and plug it, and run the spill line to the IP outlet line and T into that.
that way fuel from the spill line goes back to the fuel tank instead of the injection pump.

the reason for it is when you pressurize the fuel line with a lift pump, you also pressurize the spill line, as its connected to the inlet line. as the injectors and spill line is under the rocker cover, any leaks will go straight into the oil. especially as the spill line injector connections are a little tricky to get right.

Thanks Tweake's. I'll have a look at this. Any reason Nissan didn't do this on the production line?
don't know. however it could have been a move to ensure fuel doesn't leak.
even with the mod there is still a chance spill line can leak into the oil.
on other engines the spill line goes to pump outlet, but the spill line is external.

ideally it would be nice to run the spill line back to the inlet of the lift pump.

Ok, cheers. Ill have to pull up the diagram and poke around the car. To be honest, i have no idea how a diesel fuel system works. Its a bit embarrassing but i've never had to work on one.

If you want a good lift pump the airdog is one of the best on the market as it is a lift pump, water separator, fuel filter and air remover all in 1 unit

to be honest, they are way out of my price range. I'd be inclined to either use what ive got (bosch 044 or carter gold) or buy an Aeroflow knock off of a Holley black for $100 and a knock off holley regulator, lol. I might just leave it the hell alone. Its been good to me for 12 years touch wood.

Ok, im doing this. just a couple things first - can anyone confirm that this is the spill line, and the tube coming out of the fuel filler here is ok to tee into for the regulator bypass please?

I couldnt find any thing on it in the workshop manual pdf ive got. Gone through every variant and update and the best it comes up with is a diagram of the cartridge at the top of fuel tank in "Fuel System and Exhaust" I suck at computers. Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• zd30 fuel lines 003.jpg
    zd30 fuel lines 003.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 161
  • zd30 fuel lines 004.jpg
    zd30 fuel lines 004.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 129

Latest posts

Back