Optus or Telstra?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optus or Telstra?

• Optus

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • Telstra

Votes: 80 75.5%
  • Other

Votes: 8 7.5%

• Total voters
Optus suck
vodafail are pathetic
telstra suck and have there head up there arse, but there coverage is #1

Telstra will provide coverage and reach - just do not expect too much with customer service since they offload most customer services offshores

Vodafone - failed last time when they are migrating Hutch to their network, with this I point it to human error/fault very poor project management, but they care about their end users with a lot of upgrades going on. Bang for your money

Optus - they used to be good and there were quiet for awhile - if everyone noticed there are a lot of new telco providers popping up? do not be surprise a lot of new MVNOs within Optus network. In addition, last couple of years they let off a lot of jobs and merged job titles. So service will go down the shits soon even they provide cheap rates.

Is this even a Poll, there is NO question who has the coverage and service reliability.
As much as I dislike dealing with Hel$tra, there is NO viable alternative ... unless a Hel$tra MVNO .... though they are pretty 3rd world for data.

Telstra will provide coverage and reach - just do not expect too much with customer service since they offload most customer services offshores

Use to have Optus, coverage was shizen

Vodafone too even worse than Optus

No complaints about Telstra coverage. Their pricing is getting more competitive but still expenisve. Their customer service use to really suck a big one and I spent many times losing my shit and making call backs to complain, however in the past 6-12 months they have improved greatly and focussed on this aspect

The way I see it is you pay for the better coverage with Telstra. With Optus and Vodafone you get more in the packages cause you spend half the time recalling after a drop out or doing the old hold the phone up in the air yelling "ffs c'mon" as you use all your strengtg to will the reception bars to rise. Being in a trade it helps to have reception on Basement 3 in a highrise building and I never got it anywhere below Ground level (sometimes lucky to even get it at Ground!) with Optus or Vodafone

Last edited:
Telstra is the shit.....after ditching vodafone coz I couldn't get coverage in my house in the middle of suburbia, only 15mins from Adelaide CBD!

As I mentioned, get unlimited Telstra for $40 a month on boost. It's a no brainer. It's essentially the same as amaysim being optus.

Last edited:
As I mentioned, get unlimited Telstra for $40 a month on boost. It's a no brainer. It's essentially the same as amaysim being optus.

Boost is spot on for best value and great reception for pre-paid but Telstra plans get slightly better coverage. I've noticed this as I have Telstra and the mrs has Boost. Both had iPhones.

If I didn't keep trashing phones and need to update so I don't have to pay to repair/replace them I'd go to Boost. But I have this really shit habit of going for majority of my plan without damage and in a cover and then dropping the fkn things within the last 3-6 months of my contracts (repeatedly!). Lol

Boost is spot on for best value and great reception for pre-paid but Telstra plans get slightly better coverage. I've noticed this as I have Telstra and the mrs has Boost. Both had iPhones.

If I didn't keep trashing phones and need to update so I don't have to pay to repair/replace them I'd go to Boost. But I have this really shit habit of going for majority of my plan without damage and in a cover and then dropping the fkn things within the last 3-6 months of my contracts (repeatedly!). Lol
My partner is with boost and doesn't get good reception, don't know what the go is there...we don't live in the sticks

My partner is with boost and doesn't get good reception, don't know what the go is there...we don't live in the sticks
Bad spot perhaps?

I live sort of between towers. Front of the house get 1 maybe 2 bars of 4G reception whereas at back of house get 3 or 4.

It's really the vast range of coverage that you want IMO. As long as I get some reception to call, text and get on the net (even if a little slower in the sticks) I'm happy. Although there are always places you won't get shit... but you get that

Bad spot perhaps?

I live sort of between towers. Front of the house get 1 maybe 2 bars of 4G reception whereas at back of house get 3 or 4.

It's really the vast range of coverage that you want IMO. As long as I get some reception to call, text and get on the net (even if a little slower in the sticks) I'm happy. Although there are always places you won't get shit... but you get that

Mines with Amaysim which is apparently though optus and mines fine though. Partners is Boost which is meant to be Telstra, thought they'd have better coverage?

Telstra is the best.
Works most places especially remote areas.
Less drop outs. Was on a work data conference call from Melb to Adelaide and Melb to Syd with zero drop outs.
Note.. Did you know you can dial 000 emergency services from say Optus phone with no Optus reception. It will auto divert to Telstra towers if available. All providers do this as part of telco legislation.

Telstra. Tried vodaphone and it was rubbish, never tried the others again.
at least with Telstra you get good coverage up to a point. They can stuff you at times but I go with them.

This poll has been going so long, that things have changed a bit and look to change more.

The POTS is still Telstra and moved to NBN, but I'm no longer welded to them. After multiple week long outages earlier in the year, blah. We've picked up a VOIP and for $20/month, I'll save from the $45/month for Telstra.

We've had it on the mobile, but it never worked when we really needed it out west/back, so blah. With the above outages, the old mobile went to Optus, so if we can get away, then I'll see how well it goes.

The data back up for the adsl/now nbn is Telstra, but once that goes, I'll get a sim from whoever is cheapest data block.

Great Telstra hack

Here's a wicked way to use Telstra prepaid if you have an android phone. If you recharge $30 on the freedom plan for instance you will get $200 or so of phone credit, I think 1.3 gig data and 30 of "recharge credit". This recharge credit can b used to buy apps and music etc on Google Play if you set up carrier billing. For example you could recharge $30 and get 1.3gig, $200 of phone calls for the month and buy the Hema app which was around $30 last I looked. I usually buy a couple of albums off the play store every month. There is a great thread on this on whirlpool.
I have got everyone in my family and quite a few mates onto this one now

So Telstra gets my vote

Vodafone for my mobile
Work mobile is telstra but i dont pay for that one
Optus home internet and phone
Personally i will never deal witht telstra again
When out hunting my mate has a sat sleeve ...wierd thing just download an app connect your smart phone to it via wifi and your off and running

6.5 years since this thread started & not much has changed, other than the introduction of 4G.

Optus still have SFA coverage away from the major centres & Telstra aren't a whole lot better!

In Oct 18, we did a tour out from Wilcannia to White Cliffs, up through Wanaaring to the Hamilton Gate, and on through Windorah, Haddon Corner, Betoota, Birdsville, Bedourie, Boulia, Jervois, to Alice Springs. Then home to Adelaide - No Optus coverage from Wilcannia to Alice, and then none again till Pt Augusta.

Telstra has the towns along the way covered, but often only if you have a Blue Tick phone, and massive gaps with no coverage out of towns.

Latest posts

Back