d22 suspension query

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benengel

Reaction score
Hey Guys, iv fitted an efs suspension kit to my truck and it has made a noticable difference, how ever when i go over corrugated roads or braking bumps on loose gravel, the front end goes absolutely nuts. is this normal for an ifs truck with torsions... or is there something im missing

maybe the front shockies are not suited. torsion bars are a substitute for springs , the shockies handle the bumps.

as i mentioned the torsion bars act as springs and if these springs are not suited to the shockies that are the units that take the bumps etc you will get some issues going over rough terrain . you can get different rides with different springs and also different rides with different shockies so sometimes it is a hit and miss to find the right combination that is going to suit .
my son went through 2 different sets of King springs with his previous Subaru to find the ride he wanted. does your front end feel too hard ?

How was the rebound on the shockies before you fitted them? Did they push back out when compressed or were they a bit soft? They may be suited to a steel bullbar with a winch, which is a lot more weight than a standard alloy bar or bumper setup. Did you change the torsion bars or are they the stock ones? How far have you wound them up? If they are topping or bottoming out on the bumpstops then that may cause what you are feeling.

Last edited:
Also check to see if your front bump stops are touching the UCA.
If they are or closer than 1omm, then you will have bugger all up travel causing the car to do what it does.

Hey, the rebound was definitely worse before fitting the new lift kit, i did replace the torsions and i wound them up around 2inchs to be 10mm less then the rear.
ill measure the the gap when i next have a chance. it doesn't feel the bump stops are hitting but i culd be completely wrong, it is pretty hard to try describe

Double check it, you really want at least 10mm clearance from the upper bumpstop to the upper control arm.

Does it only go crazy when braking or any time on rough roads?

braking is perfect same with speed bumps, its only really corrugations or anything repetitive like driving down the river on rocks etc

Have you checked your tyre pressures?

As to talk of the shocks being too hard, if it is the shocks at all, from personal experience, harder shocks on these rigs will actually give a smoother ride.
Standard shocks on mine were so underdamped on mine (from new) that the reaction to pot holes was violent and harsh like the wheel would bounce or something, and any undulations would send it rocking and swaying.
Hard shocks fixed this.

Assuming you got the whole lot in a package it should be pretty much right. Maybe get a mate or local mechanic to have a drive of it.

+1 on checking droop stop clearance. Ideally youd probably want equal clearanc between upper and lower stops. 10mm is about the limit.

You really do need to drop tyre pressures when it gets rough, especially in these utes.

I had to take my front shocks out for warranty replacement a few years ago, ride was much softer over bumps, but would wallow around and continue to bounce for a bit after bumps/dips on the hwy. So on hitting rough spots it felt better, but it would take a bit for the suspension to settle without the damping effect of the shocks.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Rear brakes load pressure adjuster needs setting up again. Only front brakes be working and locking up. I need to do mine also.but havnt yet . May have to take it to brake place to set up correctly.

Hey guys thanks for all the information. I'll double check my droop, the top bump stop looks fairly close so I'll give that a measure tomorrow and I'll check the rear brake adjuster aswell.
Cheers again

Latest posts

Back