Catchcans for D22 ZD30 motor

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldie

Reaction score
Probably a bit late for me to be asking this question with my old motor but, I'm interested to see what brand of catchcans are being used and opinions.
Also wondering if I should take out my intercooler and wash it out. it's done a few K's since it was installed back in 2015.
Cheers

Provent 200 hands down.

I've tried a couple of others like HPD cans etc but none have done as good of a job at separating as the provent.

Just make sure you get one of the genuine ones not a cheap chinese knock off.

My cheap Chinese one was shit to fit but works ok I guess, catches oil anyway, which it didn't do before. The inlet and outlet sizes were a lot bigger than my stock hoses. I do need to fit a drain tap tho, my current set up is a bolt with a hose clamp...

Provent 200. It works.

As they say, buy cheap buy twice.....(or maybe three times lol). I have actually seen rubbish catch cans block and cause oil leaks by blowing out motor seals.

Do you need a catch can when i put my intercooler in?
Is it a must?
No, it's not a necessity, it's a good idea to have one on these little diesels though. Helps stop the oil getting in the turbo and the impeller blades wearing from being hit with a mist, and keeps the inlet cleaner (it mixes with egt soot and forms a goo in the intake, catch can helps alleviate this to large extent).

No, it's not a necessity, it's a good idea to have one on these little diesels though. Helps stop the oil getting in the turbo and the impeller blades wearing from being hit with a mist, and keeps the inlet cleaner (it mixes with egt soot and forms a goo in the intake, catch can helps alleviate this to large extent).
Awesome thanks, I'll definitely be picking one up.

Grandson put one in his 3l and made a massive difference to oil cleanliness, so have put a cheap one in my 2.5l although the intercooler and intake manifold are pretty clean the oil is very dirty but it has done 280k and very little fumes when you remove hose.

Is there a difference between catch cans for diesels and petrols?

I don't think so... But you need to make sure it's going to work. The cheapies can work with a few mods. Some of the expensive have failed. Most people as above recommend provent

I threw a Ryco on mine. Did a bit of research and decided I was happy with it.

I don't think so... But you need to make sure it's going to work. The cheapies can work with a few mods. Some of the expensive have failed. Most people as above recommend provent

I threw a Ryco on mine. Did a bit of research and decided I was happy with it.

Yea, sweet.
I've looked at ryco, also looked up a bunch of performance car ones and they are a fraction of the price and are still made of billet aluminium.

https://www.pro-wholesale.co.nz/oil-catch-can-oil-breather-tank/
Opinions?

Yea, sweet.
I've looked at ryco, also looked up a bunch of performance car ones and they are a fraction of the price and are still made of billet aluminium.

https://www.pro-wholesale.co.nz/oil-catch-can-oil-breather-tank/
Opinions?

Billet steel or not. It's all about the filtering process. Have a read of the sticky about catch cans. Gives a good explanation of how to filter correctly. If you don't then nothing happens and nothing gets filtered, use the wrong thing as a filter and will break down and enter the intake

It says it uses the pcv valve the same as all the other cans?

Yep that's where it comes from. Goes into the catch can then vapour is then filtered. Either like the Ryco and provent using a mesh style or home made using... I can't remember what they use haha

Pot scourer lol.
Yea cheers for that man, great help.
Been alot of research and alot of umming and arrring about it. I'll be buying a billet one though, haha.
Thanks heaps man.

They can all work, cheapies, home made, whatever. The thing with the Provent 200 that makes it worth the money IMO is the valve set up. They have a relief valve so that if your filter blocks or you forget to drain it and it fills with oil, it will vent to the atmosphere. That's one way to tell if you need a new filter, oil residue around the lid as it does this.

Otherwise you would find oil being forced out of the seals on the motor from a build up of pressure in the crank case. It can be a big job changing seals. Have seen it happen with cheaper ones where people forget about them and they block up. Then leaks from the rear main and other places.

Think they recommend changing the filter at 40k kms but the last one I changed was at 100k kms and it was still working fine.

Pot scourer lol.
Yea cheers for that man, great help.
Been alot of research and alot of umming and arrring about it. I'll be buying a billet one though, haha.
Thanks heaps man.
The problem with the cheapies on diesel engine is pretty much what has been mentioned in the post above mine. If the fittings are too small, you will cause pressure build up in the motor and push oil out seals. The provent and ryco ones have 25mm inlet and outlet ports on them, the stock breather hose on the d22 yd25 is around 20mm from memory. I fitted one of the small forefront ones on mine and while it works ok, the ryco I have fitted to my patrol does a lot better job. With the forefront, I fitted a clear length of hose from the outlet of the can to the inlet on the intake piping. This was fairly well covered in oil on the inside, however, the ryco on the patrol has clear hoses on both inlet and outlet and while the inlet hose is getting pretty oily, there's nothing at all in the outlet hose. This will come down to the filtering media though as the forefront can runs a wound stainless mesh filter, while the ryco uses as actual filter paper type element.

In saying all that, ryco do make an apparently provent replacement filter to suit both small and large versions which I believe is made out of the same material as the filter ryco use in their own cans.

Awesome advice. Thanks, i was looking at the half litre one and that's only 10mm inlets, so I'll go a bigger one.
Cheers man

Latest posts

Back