Who rides bikes and what are they

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Triumph thruxton
Kwaka 650 track bike
Tribsa 650 race bike
Triton 500 race bike
AJS 7R 350 race bike

Pw80 and pw50 for the kidlets

I ride a k7 GSX-R600 - put over 30k on it in the few years I’ve had it. Apart from the charging system which is a known issue on this generation bike and that I’ve replaced, it hasn’t missed a beat.

I’ve done a couple of track days and attended the California Superbike School at eastern creek. Great times!

Mods wise, I’ve replaced the horrid loud exhaust that came on it with a stock one that the PO had, installed an R1 throttle tube, iridium plugs, and put a K&N Street air filter in.

I’m saving for a new GSX-R1000R :)

Ideal number of bikes = n + 1 where n is the number I currently own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha best way to work it out,

I've got a 2008 Triumph Street triple that I ride to work
and nealyr have my k8 gsxr 1000 ready to hit the track

and for the dirt bikes a kawasaki 07 KX250F and Husky 05 TE450

2018 Breakout in Twisted Cherry, Bit of a change from the CRF450

Attachments

• 8141F9DB-4657-43A4-980D-C473C55C0D2E.jpeg
    8141F9DB-4657-43A4-980D-C473C55C0D2E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • C0D75D21-D44B-4CB6-AE5A-3F7E4985998E.png
    C0D75D21-D44B-4CB6-AE5A-3F7E4985998E.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 11
2009 Harley Davidson Road King with a whopping 16,000 K on the clock (I should ride that bike a bit more often).
1964 Matchless 650 G12. Just completing rebuild.
1973 Triumph 750 Tiger.

Good stuff guys.

I should update a pic of my machine. I went the towing path, but couldn't find a commercially made towbar, so I welded up my own. Have taken it on a few big trips, up Thunderbolts Way, along the Snowy Mountains Highway, and a circuit of Mudgee/Hill End/Bathurst and back home.

Carsons Pioneer Lookout:
20180811_094203_800x450.jpg

A bit of fun with a 1-wheel drive where it shouldn't be:
20181228_092045_1024x576.jpg

Visiting Mecca:
20190317_110545_1024x576.jpg

And on our way back from the Alpine Rally in 2019, stopped at Gundagai for a photo op:
20190609_133035_1024x576.jpg

I haven't ridden for at least 15 years but I still have most of the bits needed to reassemble my 1970 Triumph Trophy 650cc, which used to run rings around anything and everything under 900cc. I bought it second hand for $775 in 1974. I pulled it apart to rebuild the engine and gearbox after clocking up around half a million miles (800,000 Km). I just never quite got around to putting it back together. It's all academic anyway because it wouldn't run properly on the low-grade crap they sell as petrol these days. It needs at least 98 octane fuel, with lead or a suitable substitute.

The only photo I have of it was taken sometime in the '80s. It's about 70 kg lighter than stock, puts out twice the horsepower and the only things that ever broke on it were the clutch, brake and throttle cables. I went through a fair few of those, so I used to carry spares of each in the pockets of my jacket. No fancy hydraulics back then and no electric start either. No need for that, just two kicks every time. One with the clutch lever in, to get oil between the clutch plates, which used cork as the friction material, and one to start it. It's not too pretty but that's because we were too busy clocking up the miles to spend time on the cosmetics.

Triumph - Right.jpg

My mate's Ducati (left behind the Triumph) would make my bike look like it was going backwards. That beast did 60 mph (100 kph) in first gear. It stretched the drive chain and wore out the rear tyre so fast that they had to be replaced every 2 months or so, unless the chain broke earlier, which happened pretty frequently. It also had to go into the workshop every month, as the engine wear was horrendous and the valve clearances need constant adjusting.

I haven't ridden for at least 15 years but I still have most of the bits needed to reassemble my 1970 Triumph Trophy 650cc, which used to run rings around anything and everything under 900cc. I bought it second hand for $775 in 1974. I pulled it apart to rebuild the engine and gearbox after clocking up around half a million miles (800,000 Km). I just never quite got around to putting it back together. It's all academic anyway because it wouldn't run properly on the low-grade crap they sell as petrol these days. It needs at least 98 octane fuel, with lead or a suitable substitute.

The only photo I have of it was taken sometime in the '80s. It's about 70 kg lighter than stock, puts out twice the horsepower and the only things that ever broke on it were the clutch, brake and throttle cables. I went through a fair few of those, so I used to carry spares of each in the pockets of my jacket. No fancy hydraulics back then and no electric start either. No need for that, just two kicks every time. One with the clutch lever in, to get oil between the clutch plates, which used cork as the friction material, and one to start it. It's not too pretty but that's because we were too busy clocking up the miles to spend time on the cosmetics.

View attachment 35168

My mate's Ducati (left behind the Triumph) would make my bike look like it was going backwards. That beast did 60 mph (100 kph) in first gear. It stretched the drive chain and wore out the rear tyre so fast that they had to be replaced every 2 months or so, unless the chain broke earlier, which happened pretty frequently. It also had to go into the workshop every month, as the engine wear was horrendous and the valve clearances need constant adjusting.
Joe Hunt mag.? and how are the kidneys?
Cheers,
Cuda

2007 Heritage with 120K and all mine. SS Teardrop AC, Andrews H cam, SS Slash Cut mufflers and a custom tune. Don't get to ride it much here is Tassie as it is just to cold in Winter. I only register it for 6 months and then it sits in the garage under a cover with a Ctek attached for the battery.

Joe Hunt mag.? and how are the kidneys?
Cheers,
Cuda
Yes, Joe Hunt mag, which is responsible for a significant power boost at the higher revs and is almost maintenance-free. At least after I managed to stop water from getting into it. The kidneys are just fine. The roads in Vic were, mostly, significantly better in those days. Narrower for sure but better surfaces. Rego fees back then were actually used to maintain roads, rather than being bled off for some other BS.

I must admit that the rigid frame did kill a few batteries, so I stopped using them. I didn't need them to start the engine, thanks to the magneto, and the alternator had good output, even at low revs, The only time not having a battery made any difference was when it was idling because the headlight would dim and flicker a bit. No problem, as it didn't spend much time idling anyway.

Tl1000R. Suzuki. 70,000km and counting. Have to do the valve shins one day. Change the oil every year whether it needs it or not, lol. No fun to ride on the road unless it’s the wee small hours of the morning.

C66F12BD-2FBA-4629-8B0B-D6261A564610.jpeg

‘grizzly 700 2017 special edition... very controversial now, I here Polaris, Honda, Susuki and Yamaha are all pulling out of Australia next year regarding new adr rules and roll over protection on quad bikes and side by side ....:(

I will leave you blokes behind on this baby.
1973 Ag 100.
Love the smell of 2 stroke in the morning.
Started it recently after languishing for about 18 years in the shed.
Spitting oil out the exhaust. Hope it's only the crank seal because I have already pulled it out.
Nothing like being sure of the diagnosis!

Attachments

• IMG_20220310_182817.jpg
    IMG_20220310_182817.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220310_182721.jpg
    IMG_20220310_182721.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 10
Surprised it would start with a dodgy crank seal. U do know about vacuum /pressure testing thru the spark plug hole? Easy way to diagnose with engine in. The 2strokes I had needed a good hard run every so often to burn the oil out of the mufflers. Don’t use an icy /acetylene torch unless u really know what ur doing. Melted a couple of exhausts before I learned that lesson.
My favourite was a Suzuki Titan 500 cc. Such a long wheelbase it didn’t Mayer about the crap suspension and frame and would eat miles like no other bike I had owned.

Surprised it would start with a dodgy crank seal. U do know about vacuum /pressure testing thru the spark plug hole? Easy way to diagnose with engine in. The 2strokes I had needed a good hard run every so often to burn the oil out of the mufflers. Don’t use an icy /acetylene torch unless u really know what ur doing. Melted a couple of exhausts before I learned that lesson.
My favourite was a Suzuki Titan 500 cc. Such a long wheelbase it didn’t Mayer about the crap suspension and frame and would eat miles like no other bike I had owned.
Thanks.
Nothing some Aerostart couldn't fix. I have seen the vacuum/pressure testing but don't have the equipment to do it.
I initially thought that it may have been a problem with the autolube injection system however someone suggested the crank seal and I went with that lol. Also after checking the transmission oil, the level had dropped significantly from earlier in the day. Unless I didn't check it in the same manner as earlier???
I clearly no nothing about bikes.
The crank seal came out quite easily and while I am not convinced the problem lies there, the o ring between the crankshaft and the crankshaft collar had turned to sludge and requires replacement. Whether that or the seal is the cause of the problem, only time will tell.
I also managed to wreck the phillips head pressure plate spring screws so need to source some allen key replacements.
Oh and once I eventually got it going, it would start first pop and run well, but at first it was almost like it had compression lock up when trying to kick start.
GULP.

Too much beans for me!

Mine's off the road at the moment, I have to remove and repair the alternator. Probably the stator winding needs some TLC.
The stator winding in my old Lada Niva got sent away by the auto elec for repair. It took so long that I thought he had forgotten about me. Hope yours is not so tardy.
Sold the Lada to someone who flew down from Sydney. Wished him the best of luck when he drove it home.

The stator winding in my old Lada Niva got sent away by the auto elec for repair. It took so long that I thought he had forgotten about me. Hope yours is not so tardy.

I'm doing mine myself, so it's just when I get the time to do it. I'm pretty eager to get back on, so hopefully I'll get it done this week!

Latest posts

Back