STX 550 long range fuel tank

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter

Reaction score
Hi I am looking for pro's & cons on long range fuel tanks on full replacement or auxiliary one, I have been qouted $1800 fitted for the 70lt auxiliary from local ARB:
1) is it better to have the full replacement as it is all steel
2) is it better to have the auxiliary so that you have 2 separate tanks incase one gets a hole in it so that you be able to block one off
3) will either give fuel gauge a false reading
thoughts please and any recommended brands.
Cheers Lyle

I have the Long Ranger auxiliary tank in mine.

1) Fuel is drawn from the aux tank first
2) The fuel gauge won't start moving until the main tank is being used
3) I can no longer use hi-flow bowsers without blow-back when about 20-30L left to go into the tank

I don't think you can block the main tank off if the thing gets a hole and just use the aux, because the fuel pickup is still in the main tank.

I don't mind the fuel gauge working the way it does. I know that when the needle starts moving I've used about 5-10L from my main tank which leaves me about 70-odd litres left. I've done some long trips and I'm now comfortable with it. Just make sure that:

a) they remove the burrs from the hoses that connect the tanks together
b) they push the fuel level sensor cable connector onto the main tank properly.

I have the Long Ranger auxiliary tank in mine.

1) Fuel is drawn from the aux tank first
2) The fuel gauge won't start moving until the main tank is being used
3) I can no longer use hi-flow bowsers without blow-back when about 20-30L left to go into the tank

I don't think you can block the main tank off if the thing gets a hole and just use the aux, because the fuel pickup is still in the main tank.

I don't mind the fuel gauge working the way it does. I know that when the needle starts moving I've used about 5-10L from my main tank which leaves me about 70-odd litres left. I've done some long trips and I'm now comfortable with it. Just make sure that:

a) they remove the burrs from the hoses that connect the tanks together
b) they push the fuel level sensor cable connector onto the main tank properly.

Thanks Tony how is the quote I was told compared to what you paid & roughly how many extra k's do you get I figure the extra 70lts should give me around 6 to 700km non towing & about 3 to 400km towing the van.
cheers Lyle

Last edited:
I think I paid $1240 fitted (I just checked the receipt). I wonder why the difference?

Our max range (without jerry cans, highway non-towing) is now about 1400km (@10.6LPHK), up from about 730km. Towing we should be able to get (@16LPHK) about 900km, up from 480km.

Got a couple more quotes opposite lock 160lt $1795, arb bunderberg 70lt $1695, brown davis 145lt $1595, at the moment leaning towards brown davis one as it has a drain plug as well any good or bad with them?
Cheers Lyle

No idea on the Brown Davis tank. Their reputation isn't bad though, so might be worth considering.

It might also be worth telling ARB that you received that quote and see if they'll come any closer!

No idea on the Brown Davis tank. Their reputation isn't bad though, so might be worth considering.

It might also be worth telling ARB that you received that quote and see if they'll come any closer!

Yeh I will do a bit of haggling next although past experience arb rockhampton dont like to bargain on prices, the bloke who quoted the b&d tank is going to give me a better price (trade) he is also going to find out if the ironman 145lt fits it will will be cheaper again.
cheers Lyle

Let me know how you get on with ironman, they are cheapest by far but when I got hold of them last week for a replacement 144lt they told me that they have changed manufactureres and won't have any stick until september some time???

Let me know how you get on with ironman, they are cheapest by far but when I got hold of them last week for a replacement 144lt they told me that they have changed manufactureres and won't have any stick until september some time???

The boys from the shop rang ironman and were told that the ironman won't fit the 550 so going with b&d tank good price $1250 fitted.

The boys from the shop rang ironman and were told that the ironman won't fit the 550 so going with b&d tank good price $1250 fitted.

Got the B&D tank (143) fitted very happy with it especially the price as I was quoted the wrong price the shop honored it even though they lost money (basically fitted for free) now to reset the scan gauge and work the fuel gauge out.
Cheers

Got the B&D tank (143) fitted very happy with it especially the price as I was quoted the wrong price the shop honored it even though they lost money (basically fitted for free) now to reset the scan gauge and work the fuel gauge out.
Cheers

hey mate do you still have your vehicle? if so how are you liking the B&D tank?. Also did you get to keep the spare where it is or did you have to move it?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back