CV joint.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron31

Reaction score
Hi all - has anyone done a CV joint replacement?
The one on the prop shaft in front of the diff.
Mine currently sounds like a budgie!

Suggested parts?
Grease-able?
Anything to look out for?

The service manual make it look pretty easy. Do I need a press?
If I yank the shaft out of the auto, does/will it spew fluid?

Many thanks!

Aaron

I think you mean the universal joint (on the propeller shaft, transfer case to differential)? The CV joint (constant velocity) is on the end of the front axle only.

The unis should be able to come out without removing the end from the gearbox/transfer case, they are held in by 4 bolts on the outer part of the uni and just come away. Use paint to mark both sides of the joint before disassembly and realign the paint marks on reassembly (the shafts are balanced).

If you do mean the CVs, you need to pop the front wheels off etc etc. It's an unbolt for the most part but pulling the front axle itself is aided by a tool with a sliding weight to hammer it out.

Thanks Tony - you are right!

I was supposed to have it done by now - but I got the wrong Toyo universal joint..... I got the Toyo 5-178X which is for the V6 version of the D40. I need the Toyo RUJ-3002 for the 2.5 I4 version - which I was supposed to have for this weekend but they apparently forgot to send it................

If anyone wants the V6 version, let me know - if you are local I will just send it to you - BNIB. Better off going to someone who might need rather than sitting on my shelf gathering dust!

Aaron

Mate what did your noise sound like. I have a bit of a squeal under acceleration. Especially taking off in first and second. Seems to go up
and down with revs but only when driving. Not in neutral revving engine. Thought it might also be clutch or CV. Scratching my head at the moment.

It won't be the CV if it's directly related to engine RPM (CV rotates at the speed of the wheels). A squeal under acceleration could be loaded belts (dri-lube on the belt could help) or a leaking gasket. I've had the gasket between the turbocharger and the exhaust manifold eat itself away and become like a reed in a clarinet, and it squealed but only under load. Check your exhaust for sooty emissions from the joints.

Latest posts

Back