D40 Vin

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 21299

Reaction score
I have found a D40 online at a dealer fairly close to me (150klm) and at this stage have only seen it on line, it is 2010 (02/10 build)and has done 130k. It has a Vin no starting with MNT can the country of origin be told from this.It has colour coded door handles and no roof aerial which suggests to me it's not Spainish build but I'm not familar with this vin on Navaras. Is this build year OK as I have mind overload re timing chains etc or should I look at a 2011/2013. this vehicle is priced at $18k looks in great condition and is within my budget. It has been a tow vehicle as it has a brake controller in the photos. If I go further I will look at history but this is early stages. Thanks

Hey mate, MNT is Thai built, the Spanish ones have a vin starting with VSK.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

I think timing chain issues were with the spanish built STXs from 05-08.
09 was a big change year for D40s, variable vane turbo added, extra 50nM of torque etc. Im 90% sure the timing chain faults were addressed then.

If you do buy a d40 and want to upgrade your timing chain for whatever reason, paul at yd25.com.au has an amazing kit for sale.

^ Agreed.

My own 2009 Spanish D40 has just reached 304,000km. Now that its DPF issues have been sorted out, she's running well again. It tows well, it runs smoothly, and my timing chains are in good condition (as are the guides).

From memory the 2010 ST model (Thai built) didn't have timing chain issues - that's not to say that they may not have failed, it's only to say that I don't remember hearing or reading about it.

There are two important tasks that we need to always do in order to ensure our timing chains have the best chance - first is to use a good oil filter with an anti-drain valve (I use Ryco Z89A) and the second is to keep up the oil changes, using a good quality oil that's not too heavy and not too light.

There's a tendency for people to look at the lower end of the viscosity spectrum lately and it's occasionally causing issues. 10W30 or 10W40 oils - low ash, full synthetic is best but mineral is just fine - are perfect. Lighter oils can get too runny and cause lubrication issues in the turbocharger, most notably being the passing of oil through the end ring seal under the turbine into the exhaust, but I've had some people argue (and I can't find fault in this) that lower viscosity oils have a greater tendency to become vapour and exit the engine via the PCV.

Yer best to do everything you can to look after a yd25.

I use Liquimoly 10-30 and genuine nissan oil filters and my chain still snapped at 70,000 ks.

Its not exclusive to d40s, ive seen 3 litre colorados at my local mechanics with snapped chains and their reputation for reliability is stellar

Latest posts

Back